• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Avoid Looking Feminine - Advice Thread

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Can anyone help me not look feminine? I'm trying update my wardrobe and project a more studied, masculine image. Last night I was wearing a pair of black tapered velvet pants with shiny zippers (MARC JACOBS), a semi-sheer low v shirt (AMERICAN APPAREL), and some silver suede sneakers (EMMA HOPE). One of my friends, upon meeting up at a popular bar/grill to eat (BUFFALO WILD WINGS), said I looked a bit femme and he didn't want me to wingman that night. :/ None of the HB's gave me a second look and i got a lot of disinterest indicators/***** sheilds thrown my way.

I thought I was making some good purchase choices lately, but I guess not? Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone provide some image references of what constitutes feminine/not-feminine. He said I should get some simple flannels, one-wash straight-leg or bootcut denims and less ostentatious shoes.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why so hung up on something like that? Most people are ******* stupid when it comes to clothes so they automatically assume you're gay/metro.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wear tighter pants so everyone can see what kind of heat you're packing. Also, moar dragons

Ideefixee

Reaction score
See, I hate these kinds of gender roles. Fashion isn't about subscribing to a pre-set 'idea' of what men should or shouldn't wear (to a certain extent). Probably the main reason others will view that kind of outfit as 'femme' is ignorance, or misunderstanding.

See, it's not about what you're wearing; it's how you wear it. I've seen guys pull off wicked 'femme' outfits (or outfits that are generally esteemed to be 'femme' or unmanly) merely due to their personality or self-confidence when wearing them.

If you, and only you, want to start wearing more man-approved clothing items, then I say go ahead and do it. But I don't agree that you should do so only because others have made comments about your apparel. If you have a good sense of who you are, and wear outfits accordingly, then who gives a s*&% what a few skanks think of what you're wearing?

Trust me, a good girl will understand your outfit once she understands you as a person, and would never want you to change.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to avoid it, have you considered dressing like a dude?

Seriously, unless you live in NYC or LA, or Paris/London or something... nobody is going to understand and you're going to scare away most people.

Guyute

Reaction score
I'm a newb here and I knew this was a mock thread from title and user alone. Well played though.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *Tee*
You guys suck at sarcasm and irony.

Except that a ton of people here wear nuthugging **** and wonder why nobody wants to sit near them.

The nonono you NEED to size down two more mentality here is such lolz.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
If you want to avoid it, have you considered dressing like a dude?

Seriously, unless you live in NYC or LA, or Paris/London or something... nobody is going to understand and you're going to scare away most people.

lol true

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're obviously not pretty enough to pull off the femme look.

You need to be hotter.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Hey,

Can anyone help me not look feminine? I'm trying update my wardrobe and project a more studied, masculine image. Last night I was wearing a pair of black tapered velvet pants with shiny zippers (MARC JACOBS), a semi-sheer low v shirt (AMERICAN APPAREL), and some silver suede sneakers (EMMA HOPE). One of my friends, upon meeting up at a popular bar/grill to eat (BUFFALO WILD WINGS), said I looked a bit femme and he didn't want me to wingman that night. :/ None of the HB's gave me a second look and i got a lot of disinterest indicators/***** sheilds thrown my way.

I thought I was making some good purchase choices lately, but I guess not? Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone provide some image references of what constitutes feminine/not-feminine. He said I should get some simple flannels, one-wash straight-leg or bootcut denims and less ostentatious shoes.

Post up a picture of your outfit that night, then we can help you.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanSmii