• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Room was messy so I had to crop myself out lol. What can I work on?
Great effort. The colours blend well; blue and brown are a sure fire combination. Some advice if I may? With a loud, patterned jacket like this, go with a solid tie. Navy is a good choice. So is dark brown. As for the trousers, a more relaxed fit would be more suitable for the sport coat and tie look. Gray is always a good choice. Hope this helps.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2187569

View attachment 2187571
View attachment 2187575
Hey guys,

Need your advice with this suit. I had the waist taken in and the trousers in a job that turned out to be something I dont really enjoy, a very pronounced hourglass shape and trousers too short (see pic #3).

I then took it to my usual tailor to have the waist reversed back to original and the trousers lengthened by using some fabric from inside and shortening the cuff from 2 to 1.5 inches.

Now with the suit in its current state, I am thinking whether I should take the waist in again, this time to something in between how it was before and how it was now. However, when looking from the back, I see it draping weirdly and fabric pulling from random spots. Is this because of all the butchering I got done to the suit? Would you take the waist in again or just leave it?

I am also pretty sure the sleeves were hemmed to different lengths by tailor #1. I am learning important lessons with this suit, lol. I am also going to get the cuffs back to a 1.75 and stop faffing with the trousers.

And yes, I need some better stuff to do with my life than obsess about this suit!!

As always, thanks for the invaluable advice!

PS: didnt take it to the original tailor because I live in a different city, for those wondering.
One thing that really catches my eye is how closed the quarters (bottom front if the jacket) are. If you’re okay with this, great. If not, no amount of alteration can fix it, and I’d advise cutting your losses. Overall, even though you’ve taken the waist back out, the jacket still looks too tight, as you can see from the shoulder roll (ripples just behind the back of the collar).

My 2 cents FWIW.

kid1002

Reaction score
I think that's a fine fit. How closed the quarters should be is a pretty subjective matter. You will see English tailors cutting more closed quarters generally than Italian tailors. The only *quote-on-quote wrong fit would be extreme cutaways.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's a fine fit. How closed the quarters should be is a pretty subjective matter. You will see English tailors cutting more closed quarters generally than Italian tailors. The only *quote-on-quote wrong fit would be extreme cutaways.
That’s why I said, “If you’re okay with this, great.” 😉 In the end, it’s up to the OP. Me? I’d cut my losses, given the tailoring efforts seem to have made things worse.

Jones&co

Reaction score
Great effort. The colours blend well; blue and brown are a sure fire combination. Some advice if I may? With a loud, patterned jacket like this, go with a solid tie. Navy is a good choice. So is dark brown. As for the trousers, a more relaxed fit would be more suitable for the sport coat and tie look. Gray is always a good choice. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice my man. I’m waiting on a more relaxed fitting pair of grey trousers to come back from alterations. I’m getting them cuffed. These trousers I have on are from when I didn’t know what classic menswear was. I wore them for my wedding and had them taken in a bit. As you can see they are kind of slim. But all advice is good advice. Thanks

Jones&co

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice my man. I’m waiting on a more relaxed fitting pair of grey trousers to come back from alterations. I’m getting them cuffed. These trousers I have on are from when I didn’t know what classic menswear was. I wore them for my wedding and had them taken in a bit. As you can see they are kind of slim. But all advice is good advice. Thanks
And I also see what you mean about the solid color tie. That’s why I’m glad I’m in this group. You can really see things until someone points it out to you. Great eye

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I also see what you mean about the solid color tie. That’s why I’m glad I’m in this group. You can really see things until someone points it out to you. Great eye
No worries. Glad to help 🙂

Heykal

Reaction score
Suiting up:
  • shoes: Fratelli Rossetti
  • socks: Pedemeia
  • suit: Pini Parma
  • shirt: Lanieri
  • pocket square: Shibumi Firenze.
Have a great day gentlemen!
IMG_0202 Large.jpeg

IMG_0203 Large.jpeg

IMG_0204 Large.jpeg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing that really catches my eye is how closed the quarters (bottom front if the jacket) are. If you’re okay with this, great. If not, no amount of alteration can fix it, and I’d advise cutting your losses. Overall, even though you’ve taken the waist back out, the jacket still looks too tight, as you can see from the shoulder roll (ripples just behind the back of the collar).

My 2 cents FWIW.
Co-signing this post.
Also I’ll say this for the umpteenth time - Personally I prefer slim but not skinny flat front strides and even then I’m sick to death of seeing pics of ankle-strangling trouser hems on SF. It throws off the balance of the entire silhouette. I’m not suggesting bell bottoms nor even pleated looser fits preferred by some regular SF posters but when I can see the entire shoe while the trouser crease sits behind the tongue of the shoe it’s just not a good look.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suiting up:
  • shoes: Fratelli Rossetti
  • suit: Pini Parma
  • shirt: Lanieri
  • pocket square: Shibumi Firenze.
Have a great day gentlemen!
View attachment 2187739
View attachment 2187741
View attachment 2187743
See my post above.
I’ve critiqued your narrow strides before but you persevere with this look. Sorry I know we can’t be expected to overhaul our entire wardrobes overnight so I don’t mean this to be a pile-on, but this just looks laughably bad.
1716343077804.jpeg

Last edited:

Heykal

Reaction score
For today:
  • shoes: C&J
  • trousers: Scavini (gold/mustard)
  • suspenders: Albert Thurston
  • Polo: Ralph Lauren (light gray)
  • jacket: Spier & Mackay (denim)
  • pocket square: Fumagalli 1891.
Enjoy your day!
aa.png

IMG_0206 Large.jpeg

IMG_0207 Large.jpeg

Heykal

Reaction score
See my post above.
I’ve critiqued your narrow strides before but you persevere with this look. Sorry I know we can’t be expected to overhaul our entire wardrobes overnight so I don’t mean this to be a pile-on, but this just looks laughably bad.
View attachment 2188149
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree with you, but not entirely.

I agree because, if given the choice, my leg opening would be wider, around 1/3 of my shoes's length.

However, I do not entirely agree for several reasons. Firstly, I feel like this is less of an issue with loafers than with, say, derby or oxford shoes.

Secondly, proportions matter. For example, I am tall (±6.2 ft) but my shoe size is 9.5, whereas it could normally be 10.5 or 11.

Lastly, it's cultural. Pini Parma is an italian brand, and in Italy, they tend to wear their clothes very fitted. You can see this on their website, and I also noticed it firsthand when I spent a week in Milan last year.

EDIT
I would add a fourth point: preference. I am thinking of AskOkey that says that leg opening should be 2/3 of the shoe (example). He is more knowledgeable than me but I hate the look of it.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I tend to agree with you, but not entirely.

I agree because, if given the choice, my leg opening would be wider, around 1/3 of my shoes's length.

However, I do not entirely agree for several reasons. Firstly, I feel like this is less of an issue with loafers than with, say, derby or oxford shoes.

Secondly, proportions matter. For example, I am tall (±6.2 ft) but my shoe size is 9.5, whereas it could normally be 10.5 or 11.

Lastly, it's cultural. Pini Parma is an italian brand, and in Italy, they tend to wear their clothes very fitted. You can see this on their website, and I also noticed it firsthand when I spent a week in Milan last year.

It's nice that you appreciate feedback. I also suggested to widen the leg opening on your trousers time ago, but you seem to stick to your usual narrow one. I understand that you wear what you have, but I would still give a try. Pretty sure you won't regret.

And yes, Italian tailors and fashion brands are mainly responsible for the skinny trousers. Not a reason to follow though.

EDIT: I love wide leg trousers, but if it's not your preference, you could still try something in between.

Screenshot (1810).png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members