• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cprstyle Nicely done. I have bought some kilties to try with a few of my boots, though I never end up keeping them on as I can't get used to the feel of them. Plus they almost invariably slide off to one side or another. Haven't tried punching holes in them yet.

The natural waxy commander may shrink if you let it get wet a few times. The instep on my pair started with about 3/8" of room above my foot, and shrunk to perfectly fit over several weeks of wear.

cprstyle

Reaction score
@cprstyle Nicely done. I have bought some kilties to try with a few of my boots, though I never end up keeping them on as I can't get used to the feel of them. Plus they almost invariably slide off to one side or another. Haven't tried punching holes in them yet.

The natural waxy commander may shrink if you let it get wet a few times. The instep on my pair started with about 3/8" of room above my foot, and shrunk to perfectly fit over several weeks of wear.
Thanks! Yeah I would try maybe cutting a hole in the middle to pass laces through. These kilties are actually helping solve a problem on the left boot where the tongue grain direction (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) causes the tongue to slide all the way until the laces are on my ankles. I hate that, but it's not a problem on the right boot.

Fascinating to hear that the natural waxy can shrink. Surprises me as I've read that CF Stead shrinks this leather by 25% at the factory. I was going to dubbins wax these (as that's made my other Waxed Commander leathers invariably waterproof) but I might hold off if there is a chance of shrinkage. Any particular conditions that caused the shrinking? Or just water?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I would try maybe cutting a hole in the middle to pass laces through. These kilties are actually helping solve a problem on the left boot where the tongue grain direction (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) causes the tongue to slide all the way until the laces are on my ankles. I hate that, but it's not a problem on the right boot.

Fascinating to hear that the natural waxy can shrink. Surprises me as I've read that CF Stead shrinks this leather by 25% at the factory. I was going to dubbins wax these (as that's made my other Waxed Commander leathers invariably waterproof) but I might hold off if there is a chance of shrinkage. Any particular conditions that caused the shrinking? Or just water?

Yes, this happens on one of my boots as well! The wayward tongue can be stitched on one side, of course. It would have make sense to put a gusseted tongue on the Brass Boot like the Field Boot has.

I have successfully "shrunk" several pairs. Strangely the preshrunk leather seems to shrink rather easily, it seems counterintuitive. You can go the extreme route of soaking in a tub of hot water then air drying. (I have even tried a hot hair dryer on wet Chromexcel before, which was only marginally successfully and very bad for leather.) But in the case of my natural waxy commander Brass Boots, I just soaked them intentionally several times in mud puddles, rain, or a hose, then set them in the sun to try for a day or two. No need to apply extra wax to the leather already, in my opinion. After a few hundred hours it doesn't hurt to apply VSC or similar.

Domino23

Reaction score
I need some styling advice. I've got a pair of Diesels in navy chromexcel, absolutely love them. Fit is perfect, they're well made, comfortable to walk in all day, just all around great boots. My issue is I'm struggling to figure out what to wear them with, and I'm not wearing them as often as I want. For anyone that has them, what do you wear them with? Pairing them with light browns, tan, khaki,ecru etc is no problem. When I try them with jeans something seems off, that may be because most of my denim is dark/raw. I'd love to see any pics of what other people wear with them.
IMG_20230517_084504693_HDR~3.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need some styling advice. I've got a pair of Diesels in navy chromexcel, absolutely love them. Fit is perfect, they're well made, comfortable to walk in all day, just all around great boots. My issue is I'm struggling to figure out what to wear them with, and I'm not wearing them as often as I want. For anyone that has them, what do you wear them with? Pairing them with light browns, tan, khaki,ecru etc is no problem. When I try them with jeans something seems off, that may be because most of my denim is dark/raw. I'd love to see any pics of what other people wear with them.
View attachment 1959217
Black/grey, burgundy, orange, some greens, light blue

Drzdave58

Reaction score
View attachment 1959217
I have a pair of Alden’s in navy blue cxl. I dont generally wear them with blue jeans either. I prefer them with grey or black jeans or brown pants as well.

Last edited:

whipcord

Reaction score
View attachment 1959217
They go with everything. I have navy CXL loafers. I have yet to find anything in my wardrobe that they don't work with, short of swim trunks. I wear them with dark denim, faded denim, greys, greens, khakis - anything.

BuffaloTom

Reaction score
View attachment 1959217
On my first look at the GS website I thought those very boots would be my first pair. Had them in the cart. 8 pairs later and I still don't have them. But I will soon - that pic is beautiful!

Aran

Reaction score
What do you guys think of my newly received cap toe? Colour difference is certainly interesting to look at. Showing an older pair for comparison.

cn1.jpg co1.jpg cn2.jpg

Aran

Reaction score
Looks good. A few coats of polish and patina, and they will look much more uniform. Are these B grade pickups?
They are not. Would you categorise these in B grade? Its less obvious in darker lights to be fair. Unfortunate peel here, should be ok assuming it stops there.

p11 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
They are not. Would you categorise these in B grade? Its less obvious in darker lights to be fair. Unfortunate peel here, should be ok assuming it stops there.

View attachment 1959813

Frankly with Grant Stone, it's very difficult to comment because the B grades that I have are pretty faultless and show no real blemishes . Wouldn't worry about the inconsistency in colour, it's just the nature of the leather.

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
I do think you are being way too critical. To me it is the equivalent to removing baseboard from the joint where the floor meets the Sheetrock; the baseboard is covering up what looks inconsistent just like the flap of leather goes over the lacing system. This does not quantify b grade. For reference here are my grant stones and this area is only seen by me when brushing. Hahah it is the private part of the shoe. No one accept you sees it and those you care to show it too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 155

Aran

Reaction score
I do think you are being way too critical. To me it is the equivalent to removing baseboard from the joint where the floor meets the Sheetrock; the baseboard is covering up what looks inconsistent just like the flap of leather goes over the lacing system. This does not quantify b grade. For reference here are my grant stones and this area is only seen by me when brushing. Hahah it is the private part of the shoe. No one accept you sees it and those you care to show it too.
Oh I understand, I just get overly neurotic and look at everything whenever I get a new pair.

Waxed

Reaction score
View attachment 1959217
I think those look pretty sharp as is.

👍🏻

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads