• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr bubbles

Reaction score
Hey y’all, what boot/sole would you consider better for hiking? The lug sole (brass boot) or the wedge sole (field boot)?

cprstyle

Reaction score
So, my second pair of GS after trying their brass boot and I was pretty impressed.

Always a fan of veg tanned leather and seeing the Edward on sale for almost $100 off I decided to give them a try. They sent me the wrong size but quickly exchanged them once I pointed out their error.

I found the leather to be a bit dry and decided to speed up the patina process by oiling the leather. I think they look great and I have greatly decreased the chance of staining as dry leather absorbs everything.

For $300 I think these are a great boot. I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out but I figured at that price, I could take a risk. Wore them to the office today.

View attachment 1943113 View attachment 1943115 View attachment 1943117 View attachment 1943119
Beautiful, what did you use to oil the leather?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all, what boot/sole would you consider better for hiking? The lug sole (brass boot) or the wedge sole (field boot)?
I have done intense hiking in both. I prefer the lug sole for uneven terrain and soft ground. The wedge sole is better for rocks, gravel, or flatter terrain. Personally I like the design of the Brass Boot better overall.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, what did you use to oil the leather?

Whatever I had lying around which in this case was Montana Pitch Blend Leather Oil. It had considerably lightened up by the morning so I will reapply it tonight.

basu13

Reaction score
Whatever I had lying around which in this case was Montana Pitch Blend Leather Oil. It had considerably lightened up by the morning so I will reapply it tonight.
Might make sense to get a bottle of VSC for the long run. Pretty versatile stuff especially for veg tanned leather.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might make sense to get a bottle of VSC for the long run. Pretty versatile stuff especially for veg tanned leather.
Yeah, I have some of that. I must have 20 different products. I used that on some other natural CXL boots and it didnt do much to darken them which was my intention. I can try applying that next but it is not as oily as this stuff.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I wore them riding a motorcycle, all day at the office, and then yard chores in the evening. Today will be a long day of oil changes and a road trip. I think these are very comfortable after only ony day's wear. Really liking them and I have a closet full of John Lofgren, Whites, C&J, and Alden so that is saying a lot.

IMG_20230421_072509179.jpg

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Beautiful boots guys @Patek & @basu13.

@GrantStone Are there any plans to bring back the dune Diesel with a leather sole?

Sorry no plans at this time!

We do have a couple of fun traveler loafer color-ups coming out this week. We have kept the details pretty quiet but one is the Jungle Kangaroo, and the other two are suedes.

Lastly, for anyone in the bay area, we will have a booth in SF this weekend at the Wind Up Watch Fair if you can stop by to chat! We will have 25-30 half-pair samples, including the releases this week. While we won't have full pairs to go home with, it's more of a chance to meet in person and see some shoes in person. Plus... there are drinks and food trucks.

There are usually 40-50 watch brands at these shows, many of them online only, so it's fun to see them in person and try on (not that we need another expensive hobby :-D ).

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 17

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My right ankle bone is rubbing against my Ottawa's making it very uncomfortable and painful to wear. My left foot is fine. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Drzdave58

Reaction score
My right ankle bone is rubbing against my Ottawa's making it very uncomfortable and painful to wear. My left foot is fine. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
If the boots are new I would work the leather shaft with your hands bending the leather in different directions. It should alleviate stiff leather.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeborahMcglothlin