• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whipcord

Reaction score
The pair that got away. I have been looking for some good Navy CXL.
I love my navy CXL Travelers. They're my favorite pair of shoes at this time. I wear them whenever possible. I've also found that I am tired of brown shoes and boots. I'm looking for another loafer in "not any shade of brown." For some reason those Coral Travelers are calling my name, but they're pretty wild. I am bummed that the Storm Suede loafers were discontinued and are sold out in my size.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my navy CXL Travelers. They're my favorite pair of shoes at this time. I wear them whenever possible. I've also found that I am tired of brown shoes and boots. I'm looking for another loafer in "not any shade of brown." For some reason those Coral Travelers are calling my name, but they're pretty wild. I am bummed that the Storm Suede loafers were discontinued and are sold out in my size.

I looked at those! Nice price right now. Afraid loafers are still a no-go for my low instep though. Had to offload the pair I picked up in my usual size, and sizing down more would hurt the toes. The Diesel is an option.

delmar

Reaction score
Yesterday whipcord seemed reluctant about getting a pair of the new coral loafers thinking that they might look a little too pink for his taste. I chimed in with my opinion that they looked more like a manly shade of rust to me. I'm not much of a loafer wearer and since I already have three pairs of GS loafers (ivory suede, bourbon suede, and crimson chromex) I wasn't really serious about getting a pair. But today I saw a pair of B grade coral loafers in my size, so I put my money where my mouth is and I snagged them.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading lots of experiences on the Leo last, I was hesitant to go down 1/2 size. I'm glad I did. I find Leo pretty generous and definitely could not go any larger than sizing down.

@shahtirthak I see you have experience with both Trickers and GS. I have no experience with Trickers yet. Would you say that they are built similar to GS? I've read they are built like tanks. When I think of tanks, I think of GS.
Trickers are indeed built like tanks too, build quality is as good as GS if not just a touch more. Hard to distinguish in terms of build quality but in terms of feel they are absolute tanks.
I am US 13 E (wide as per US sizing nomenclature) in GS Leo. I have wide feet and a higher instep than normal. In Trickers I have to go with UK 13, 5 fit (5 is regular width, 6 is wide fit) as they don't make UK 12.5 in the Stow (4497S) and Bourton (4444). Thick socks and a 3/4 insert (especially in 4444) fill up the additional volume but I would rather go UK13 than UK12 which is short in length for me. I have a UK12 in Bourton which was my first purchase and my toes touch the front and sides of the shoes.
I would suggest checking out the Trickers Outlet website regularly to find something in your size and selecting the ROW website to get the non-VAT price. Make it a very sweet deal for Trickers.

mr bubbles

Reaction score
Yesterday whipcord seemed reluctant about getting a pair of the new coral loafers thinking that they might look a little too pink for his taste. I chimed in with my opinion that they looked more like a manly shade of rust to me. I'm not much of a loafer wearer and since I already have three pairs of GS loafers (ivory suede, bourbon suede, and crimson chromex) I wasn't really serious about getting a pair. But today I saw a pair of B grade coral loafers in my size, so I put my money where my mouth is and I snagged them.
Nice, we need more pics. I’m really tempted by the butter suede, but leery of the light colored suedes. I don’t have experience with them but feel they would be a dirt/grime magnet, especially around the edges where it rubs the ankle. If I’m wrong, someone please let me know. I remember in a YouTube video Wyatt indicating that was one of the hard things with the ivory suede.

woodenbits

Reaction score
Guys, I hold you all responsible for my foolish actions today. I had a misfortune to look at the B-grades at a wrong time, and noticed Storm Kudu Ottawa boots in my size. I really do not need another pair of boots. But... somehow... my eyes glazed over, my hand acted of its own accord, and the rest is history. Storm Kudu leather is just so cool, especially in NST pattern!

Very curious how I am going to like dainite-inspired GS sole, looks like it is love-it-or-hate-it experience. So far my experience with commando and white wedge GS soles was... OK, I guess? Do not love them (mainly for slightly reduced stability, personal quirk of mine), but they work just fine. Dainite and double-bend leather were on my list of things to try... those Ottawa boots take care of dainite experiment, and I should have LWB on double-bend leather sole in my hands soon to try that option out.

Have been wearing GS tassel loafers on single-bend leather sole recently... and I like them a lot... most comfortable house slippers I ever had! Actually more comfortable than being unshod. This comes from a person that hated loafers all his life after having a miserable experience with a pair 25 years ago. Alexander last reminds me a lot of Beckett-Simonon boots, same perfect fit - wider forefoot than Leo, but narrower heel. Wish GS had some boots on Alexander last... it would make a lot of us frog-footed-people very happy!

basu13

Reaction score
After reading lots of experiences on the Leo last, I was hesitant to go down 1/2 size. I'm glad I did. I find Leo pretty generous and definitely could not go any larger than sizing down.

@shahtirthak I see you have experience with both Trickers and GS. I have no experience with Trickers yet. Would you say that they are built similar to GS? I've read they are built like tanks. When I think of tanks, I think of GS.
I have a pair of Stows and several Grant Stones. Both have excellent build quality, but the Trickers are even more tank like than the GS. Can't go wrong with either. I am a sucker for a heavier/substantial feeling boot and both GS and Trickers offer that quality in spades.

whipcord

Reaction score
Please take lots of pics in different light.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trickers are indeed built like tanks too, build quality is as good as GS if not just a touch more. Hard to distinguish in terms of build quality but in terms of feel they are absolute tanks.
I am US 13 E (wide as per US sizing nomenclature) in GS Leo. I have wide feet and a higher instep than normal. In Trickers I have to go with UK 13, 5 fit (5 is regular width, 6 is wide fit) as they don't make UK 12.5 in the Stow (4497S) and Bourton (4444). Thick socks and a 3/4 insert (especially in 4444) fill up the additional volume but I would rather go UK13 than UK12 which is short in length for me. I have a UK12 in Bourton which was my first purchase and my toes touch the front and sides of the shoes.
I would suggest checking out the Trickers Outlet website regularly to find something in your size and selecting the ROW website to get the non-VAT price. Make it a very sweet deal for Trickers.

Interesting timing on profila's comment lol.

I came close to getting a Stow then bailed. Wyatt warned me about instep volume on the 4497 last - despite having a high instep, I have a C width and can only handle width OR extra cone height but never both. I'm concerned I'd end up with some sloppy fit where the vamp folds into my foot with every step - something I hate about the AE 1st Ave to this day. Not saying never. But not yet.

But I did want to say after we talked, I went "dark" off the forum for a while, thought hard about it, then decided to go all in on the wescos. Wound up going with the Boss on the MP1339 in burgundy Domaine with the vibram 100 in a 7E.

On the positive- they address some of my issues with the Whites cykel - the instep is better. The build is much more clean, stitching etc. The leather is much nicer and more supple. The toebox hugs my foot better. They are heavy - heavier than GS but lighter than whites.

On the negative- man the heelcup is wide. Very wide. Everything about the fit is good except the heel. Heel slip isn't bad by any means but when the rest is so good it's noticeable and annoying.

The mp1339 is truly a screwball last I would NOT recommend to anyone. The toebox is built like AEs 1943 last meaning if you have duck feet with equal length toes it just won't work. The instep is probably average but the heel is extra wide. It's like a hybrid between a cowboy boot and a work boot like they couldn't decide what to do. I like them but would probably never get another. I'm still shocked 7E worked - I've never worn 7E. Not sure if 7D would work, I guess it's possible but jury's still out.

This all could have been avoided if Wyatt made one of these...

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I kind of hear myself a little in this post haha. Wanted to give my 2 cents fwiw.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to dress but I'm willing to go a little more crazy with loafers because I'm such a fan. I live somewhere it's cold a big chunk of the year, where I can't wear loafers for 12 months and am in boots a lot. If I'm dressed up it usually involves black or gray, or dark denim on the weekends. No khakis, no shorts for the most part. The coral color strikes me as something you'd see all over the place at jcrew in the summer, like sun-washed out pastels. To me they're not pink or loud at all, just very summery. I like them myself but know I'd probably never wear them. Contrasted against dark denim I think wouldn't work as well as with lighter beige.

But if you can pull them off I think there's no issues. A while back I got a pair of the pure red suede turner driver from AE - now that color was horrible. I wore them once and never again. Pure red suede really doesn't work.

Question for you - would you wear a dual media loafer like the Randolph with the white vamp? I would argue those would be "louder" than these.

whipcord

Reaction score
Question for you - would you wear a dual media loafer like the Randolph with the white vamp? I would argue those would be "louder" than these.

No, I do not care for the white vamp on those and would never wear them. Also, when I am considering any clothing or shoe that is "loud," I sleep on it then sleep on it again. I am tired of buying things that seem like a good idea only to, in hindsight, ask myself "wtf was I thinking?" Alas, blues, blacks and greys are the colors I like.

PS - the Coral Traveler is indeed a J. Crew/Ivy League summer vibe. I'd mostly wear them in the summer. I think they do work better with lighter colored pants and jeans versus dark denim or black pants.

Last edited:

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting timing on profila's comment lol.

I came close to getting a Stow then bailed. Wyatt warned me about instep volume on the 4497 last - despite having a high instep, I have a C width and can only handle width OR extra cone height but never both. I'm concerned I'd end up with some sloppy fit where the vamp folds into my foot with every step - something I hate about the AE 1st Ave to this day. Not saying never. But not yet.

The 4497 isn't for you. I was pleasantly surprised when I got my Stows. Reasonable width while not being a "wide" fit and a cone that doesn't hurt my instep or need to be stretch like many of my shoes an boots (I size up to a 9UK so 1 full size above most of my AE's). Trickers in a 6 or 7 Fit would be pretty good for me, just need to find something on the outlet in a 6 or 7 fit I like which is very rare.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kind of hear myself a little in this post haha. Wanted to give my 2 cents fwiw.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to dress but I'm willing to go a little more crazy with loafers because I'm such a fan. I live somewhere it's cold a big chunk of the year, where I can't wear loafers for 12 months and am in boots a lot. If I'm dressed up it usually involves black or gray, or dark denim on the weekends. No khakis, no shorts for the most part. The coral color strikes me as something you'd see all over the place at jcrew in the summer, like sun-washed out pastels. To me they're not pink or loud at all, just very summery. I like them myself but know I'd probably never wear them. Contrasted against dark denim I think wouldn't work as well as with lighter beige.

But if you can pull them off I think there's no issues. A while back I got a pair of the pure red suede turner driver from AE - now that color was horrible. I wore them once and never again. Pure red suede really doesn't work.

White vamp...OH HELL YES (but I'm a big saddle shoe guy)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justbo