• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Barcelona - recommendations?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
It took some time to adjust to the Spanish dining schedule.

+10

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to avoid all these fancy new fusion and "creative" (?) restaurants and try to get some traditional catalan food, which is excellent when correctly prepared. I especially recomment "bacalao" (that is the Spanish name for it, the Catalans call it Bacalà or something like that, I think), for example, "a la llauna". I used to go a lot to Barcelona for work but normally we ate in renovated "masias" outside the city and I cannot remember the names. In town, a traditional place to visit could be "Set Portes" (you can google it down).
I also second the advice to go to Sitges for a swim, but also for food. Sitges is a gay destination, but not only. I used to go there for a yearly tango festival when I was younger, at that time, you could get excellent food at El Velero and La Nansa, two restaurants I really enjoyed. But things may have changed.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
In a couple of weeks I'll be going to Barcelona for a few days. I've read through some of the Barcelona threads here, but would like to hear if anyone have up to date suggestions for shopping, eating and museums.

Does someone here have experience with any of these: 'Top 10 restaurants in Barcelona'?

2 essential advice....

Do not ever tell them you support Real Madrid....

Do not ever tell them you're a Franco admirer.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Subscribing to this thread...

I'll be there in approximately 3 weeks. Staying for a few nights as well.

First stop is Madrid, then onto Pamplona, because I'll be running with the bulls for the San Fermin festival.
myke

Awesome.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does someone here have experience with any of these: 'Top 10 restaurants in Barcelona'?

Off of this list I've been twice to Ca l'Isidre; an excellent kitchen with superlative service, which isn't surprising given the restaurant's most high-profile patron. However, my top recommendation would be La Boqueria on La Rambla de Catalunya just a few blocks south of Diagonal. We had our most memorable meal there, and it consisted entirely of fresh, straightforward tapas. One in particular which still haunts me is fois gras and scrambled eggs over roasted potatoes; we triple-downed after the first bite. La Boqueria also has outdoor seating, and there is some excellent people watching in the vicinity. Enjoy.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
too lazy to have read all the other responses. I'd highly suggest checking out the food markets along the Ramblas, allot a good few hours, even a half day for this since they're HUGE.

I heard the naval museum was pretty interesting but I didn't have time myself to go check it out.

Down at the end of the pier past the columbus statue is some sort of big mall, the outside has a cool mirror siding.

The aquarium is a little pricey but decent if you're into that sort of thing.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Subscribing to this thread...

I'll be there in approximately 3 weeks. Staying for a few nights as well.

First stop is Madrid, then onto Pamplona, because I'll be running with the bulls for the San Fermin festival.myke

Give it a second thought. To really enjoy the running, you need to acquire the right technique. Most tourists don't bother, and it seems that a lot of people basically run just to be able to tell that they did it. Is it really worth it? Remember that although the risk of being killed is not very big, there are chances that you get bruised, and some injuries, like the ones you get when the bull horn gets up your rectum, don't seem to be very enjoyable.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations and advice.

Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
go to bel y cie store. buy something. come back happy.
I shall do my best to accomodate this request.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations and advice.

I shall do my best to accomodate this request.

they have EG shoes, longhi belts, they do bespoke jackets in under a week. they have unique linen shirts in the barcelona tradition.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they have EG shoes, longhi belts, they do bespoke jackets in under a week. they have unique linen shirts in the barcelona tradition.
"Unique linen shirts in the barcelona tradition"? Please, expand.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good to know. I had Bel y Cia on my list as I believe it was mentioned in an earlier thread, but when you go to their site there are not a lot of details about what they carry there.

ville_e

Reaction score
Go have a look at the Yanko shoes on display at El Corte Ingles. The double monks were very impressive.

Visit Bel y Cia, bar at the Casa Fuster on Passeig de la Gracia.

Massimo Dutti has some good stuff too.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member