• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly fishing

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup, things can go south pretty quickly - glad you're around to be able to write about it! 😳

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New article:

One Wader Bag to Rule Them All

IMG_9086.jpeg

lefty

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
So I decided that I want to try fly fishing in the spring. Its always something that has interested me, but never tried it. I don't have any equipment, so I need a good starter kit. What is a good starter set-up? Links would be appreciated. Also, what the hell makes fly fishing rod/reels so expensive?
Please don't go expensive if your jus starting. You could even go secondhand if the guides are in good shape and your reel has a secure fit. I'm no expert, but the technique is in your arms not the pole. Instead of sinking your bait with a weight your tryin to manually whip out enough line so you fly at the end of your line jus rests on the water surface maybe let it sink a little. When you get better more expensive gear is somtimes necessary, but fo a beginner just make sure you poles not too long to get stuck in any surronding trees.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well my casting went to: i wasnt keeping me from getting fish. It was acceptable. Six total. Two small things. The first were not sure what it is. Had the markings of a couple different fish from the area. (Pics attached). Another small one. One more trout the guide touched but i didn't set the hook well so it got away. One more trout that jumped a few times but i didn't set the hook. Then one more where i didnt act quick enough to set the hook (see a theme?).

Excuse me for not being sf approved.
20220613_103531.jpg
20220613_113305.jpg
20220613_113306.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well my casting went to: i wasnt keeping me from getting fish. It was acceptable. Six total. Two small things. The first were not sure what it is. Had the markings of a couple different fish from the area. (Pics attached). Another small one. One more trout the guide touched but i didn't set the hook well so it got away. One more trout that jumped a few times but i didn't set the hook. Then one more where i didnt act quick enough to set the hook (see a theme?).

Excuse me for not being sf approved. View attachment 1802402 View attachment 1802405 View attachment 1802412
20220613_102046.jpg
20220613_102051.jpg

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Well done, Edward.

lefty
Cool thread, Lefty. Although I haven't been on the water for quite some time, I feel fishing, especially fly fishing, is one of the best things a human can do. I'm from So Cal, so the fish aren't really edible, and although I like to test my skills, I don't like to abuse the fish. You guys are givin me inspiration to get out there though, maybe to one of the nicer reservoirs. Thanks.

Last edited:

jibz

Reaction score
Lefty – ha I have the same wading bag! I think I took it from a friend, so the price was right at $0. Important for an activity which can be repressively gear focused. Love the article.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks.

Went fishing on a local tailwater and my buddy and I decided to go mousing at midnight. 30 minutes and six fish later, I hooked a 23' brown. I don't really take pics but my friend shot a video of the release.

Screen grab. The net opening is 19".

164F4523-66C6-4148-8B9F-F7B221670ABC_1_105_c.jpeg

lefty

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice fish! I only tried using a mouse at night once - no hits :( but I really liked how your hearing comes into play - highly anticipatory! Very strange blind casting for the most part - you definitely want that eye protection! I'd love to see your mouse pattern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads