• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Well, I am an Edward Green convert for life. The 100 last in a narrow D width is the perfect fit for my feet. I can't thank the guidance and advice of the folks here enough.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
By the way, I would like to get a nice set of Edward Green shoe trees to go in my Barksdales. Meet the Hand's website says to go a half size down from your actual shoes when buying trees, which I have never heard before. Do folks agree with that?

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
By the way, I would like to get a nice set of Edward Green shoe trees to go in my Barksdales. Meet the Hand's website says to go a half size down from your actual shoes when buying trees, which I have never heard before. Do folks agree with that?
Yes. I would agree. Its always advised going half size down (IF the case is that you take a half size shoe). The vertical barrel system compensates/covers for any length deficit you may worry about (because you think the shoe tree is half size short). And going half size down ensures that the width of the shoe tree accomodates the shoe and doesnt over stretch or exert too much force. The springs on the width allow the shoe tree to expand and fill up the space available inside the shoe comfortably without over stretching it.

I've seen almost all manufacturers and retailers advise to go half size down when buying shoe trees (IF you wear a half size shoe). The only retailer I've come across that advises buying shoe trees half size up is Herring Shoes.

Last edited:

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really to be honest, I’ve always been fine going for the same size shoe trees.

mrs25962

Reaction score

I think it also depends on the width of the shoe and width of the shoe tree. Edward Green has trees in widths B/C, D/E and E/F. For shoes lasted in E width, it's been recommended to me to use E/F width shoe tree because this size fills out the front part of the shoe better but this does require you to go half a size down depending on the model/last. If you used the D/E width shoe tree in an E width shoe, it's probably ok to stick with same size.

Using the same logic, for a D width lasted shoes, going down half size and using D/E width shoe trees would seem to make sense. Having said that, in my D width shoes, I've always used the D/E width shoe tree in the same size as shoe and haven't had any issues.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy crup Banbury

PXL_20240302_155146408.PORTRAIT.jpg

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Yes. I would agree. Its always advised going half size down (IF the case is that you take a half size shoe). The vertical barrel system compensates/covers for any length deficit you may worry about (because you think the shoe tree is half size short). And going half size down ensures that the width of the shoe tree accomodates the shoe and doesnt over stretch or exert too much force. The springs on the width allow the shoe tree to expand and fill up the space available inside the shoe comfortably without over stretching it.

I've seen almost all manufacturers and retailers advise to go half size down when buying shoe trees (IF you wear a half size shoe). The only retailer I've come across that advises buying shoe trees half size up is Herring Shoes.
Yeah, I am aware of that for half sizes for brands that only sell full size shoe trees, but Edward Green's trees are sold in half sizes and various widths too, which is why the Hand's advice was so weird to me.
Not really to be honest, I’ve always been fine going for the same size shoe trees.
Thanks, that is how I have always done it, which is why when I was looking on The Hand's website and they said to size down a halfsize I was totally confused.
I think it also depends on the width of the shoe and width of the shoe tree. Edward Green has trees in widths B/C, D/E and E/F. For shoes lasted in E width, it's been recommended to me to use E/F width shoe tree because this size fills out the front part of the shoe better but this does require you to go half a size down depending on the model/last. If you used the D/E width shoe tree in an E width shoe, it's probably ok to stick with same size.

Using the same logic, for a D width lasted shoes, going down half size and using D/E width shoe trees would seem to make sense. Having said that, in my D width shoes, I've always used the D/E width shoe tree in the same size as shoe and haven't had any issues.
Thanks for the detailed response. I've always just bought the same size trees as shoes in the past and I have always understood from places like @j ingevaldsson 's wonderful Shoegazing blog that tree, even lasted ones, are always made smaller than the actual lasts for their marked size for the above reasons and also so you can get them in and out.

I think I will do the same as you as just get D/E trees in the same size as my actual shoes.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am aware of that for half sizes for brands that only sell full size shoe trees, but Edward Green's trees are sold in half sizes and various widths too, which is why the Hand's advice was so weird to me.

Thanks, that is how I have always done it, which is why when I was looking on The Hand's website and they said to size down a halfsize I was totally confused.

Thanks for the detailed response. I've always just bought the same size trees as shoes in the past and I have always understood from places like @j ingevaldsson 's wonderful Shoegazing blog that tree, even lasted ones, are always made smaller than the actual lasts for their marked size for the above reasons and also so you can get them in and out.

I think I will do the same as you as just get D/E trees in the same size as my actual shoes.

Thanks for the kind words on the blog! Just a note, the article you refer to talks about lasted shoe trees only, for generic ones, one can't really say anything on which size to go with since it varies as much there as it do with shoes. There one should read the sellers guidelines. For lasted ones though, standard is go with the same or half down (if only full size shoe trees are available).

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words on the blog! Just a note, the article you refer to talks about lasted shoe trees only, for generic ones, one can't really say anything on which size to go with since it varies as much there as it do with shoes. There one should read the sellers guidelines. For lasted ones though, standard is go with the same or half down (if only full size shoe trees are available).
Yup, we were specifically discussed the lasted Edward Green trees that you actually have in the banner photo for the article, so I thought your advice would apply. :)

BlueSteel

Reaction score
New Edward Green Dovers just arrived!!! (These are on Dainite...I live in a rainy climate where Dainite does well...and lasts long.)
Edward Green Dovers Black.jpg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prices are up again... (at least in the UK). It's getting to be a bit much now.

P.S. I paid £1300 a month ago for my pair of London Grain Galways. Now they are £1390. A 7% increase certainly outpaces UK and European inflation.

Last edited:

PGS

Reaction score
Prices are up again... (at least in the UK). It's getting to be a bit much now.

P.S. I paid £1300 a month ago for my pair of London Grain Galways. Now they are £1390. A 7% increase certainly outpaces UK and European inflation.
US, too :(

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member