• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay question

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.Harris: Your wardrobe must be amazing to behold..
When I was a student in Berkeley, I would see some really beautiful stuff in SF. Although I could not afford any of it, had to work to pay tuition (and that was a monstrous tuition bill being a foreign student), living expenses, books, transportation etc. Even during my postgrad years, although tuition was free, living expenses etc was not. My wife also went thru the same hell as me at CAL. Man, at that point $20000 a semester.. Man, I worked, no holidays, no vacations, no nothing.. I promised myself that one day I would be able to buy whatever I wanted. Finally, all those years paid off, and now with I can indulge now and then, no more penny pinching, no more feeling embarrassed at seeing the prices of things and knowing that you can't get it, but just dream of it.
sad.gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS just came by and dropped off my two Tino Cosma 8ply ties

Since you brought it up - a store about an hour away from where I live has these very same 8-ply ties, mostly in single colors, in a kind of exaggerated, raised diagonal twill. I didn't get a very close look, so what can you tell me about them? What does the '8-ply' of the name refer to?

To what brands of ties do they compare? Are they of 7-fold construction, or are they regular ties? And what price range are they in?

Thanks.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nick M:
Since you brought it up - a store about an hour away from where I live has these very same 8-ply ties, mostly in single colors, in a kind of exaggerated, raised diagonal twill. I didn't get a very close look, so what can you tell me about them? What does the '8-ply' of the name refer to?

To what brands of ties do they compare? Are they of 7-fold construction, or are they regular ties? And what price range are they in?

The ones I just got are the same one in the Robb Report Sept. issue, I think you can see it in their website. I believe the article is by William Kissel. It is a complex paisley weave, wonderful to behold, not a single weave type. The colours that I got were the blue/copper, and the tone on tone copper. They were sold out in Italy (the one in the Robb Report article) because it was produced in mid spring. They were however fortunate enough to have a small amount of material left to make me two ties. These were limited edition ties, and each tie comes with a card stating who the maker was.

The 8-ply refers to 8 strands of silk twisted together (plied), and that is used to make the tie. It is not a seven fold construction (it would become way to bulky for that), but a "normal" construction with a thick thread backbone.

The quality of the silk is way nicer than my seven fold Kitons, Borrellis, Charvets, etc. The colour saturation is incredible. In terms of construction, it looks similar to the Villa Borgese "Siglio" ties, but again, with the 8 ply silk they use, the quality overall is superior.

As for cost, I don't know how much they cost in the U.S (I'm in the Netherlands), but in the article, it states that the price is $150.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a complex paisley weave, wonderful to behold, not a single weave type. The colours that I got were the blue/copper, and the tone on tone copper.

Sounds wonderful.. Also, they sound identical to some special-edition ties that Ben Silver sold a year or so ago. Perhaps Cosma made them for Silver...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.Harris:
Sounds wonderful.. Also, they sound identical to some special-edition ties that Ben Silver sold a year or so ago. Perhaps Cosma made them for Silver...

I've seen the ones offered by Ben Silver, these ones I got are not the same, the weaving is much more complex. However, Tino Cosma did make some ties which were offered by Ben Silver which were also "Special editions", but they were not the "vintage 8 plys".

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow..
gallery1_15249.jpg
You are right as usual - that is much nicer than the Ben Silver ties.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cakeideas