• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Zip Boots: Why So Hard to Find?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason mens's dress zip boots are so rarely made? I will probably relent and try a pair of Chelseas eventually, but I really am not a fan of the elastic concept - I'm just not crazy about the look of the elastic itself, especially when it contrasts with the leather; but also since for practical reasons the foot opening has to be wider to allow the boot to be slipped on, the wider opening means that when you're seated, the boot simply doesn't have the elegant profile that a zip boot does. Also I imagine it would also take some getting used to the boot not hugging my ankle as snugly as a zip boot does.
I have a great pair of black zip boots from To Boot NY that I found over 10 years ago, as well as a couple of other decent but somewhat lower-tier zip boots I've been lucky enough to come across randomly over the last 5 years, but I've been wanting to expand my boot wardrobe for a while now and they're tough to find at any price! Don't others find them appealing? I would think there'd be as much of a market for them, if not more, than for Chelseas. Are they harder to craft for some reason? I'd happily pay a premium for them over Chelseas.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to the above, I can think of boots from Buttero (Floyd model), Husbands Paris, Saint Laurent Paris (their Wyatt model comes in a side zip version).

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you would expect, these are expensive, Freddi by John Lobb.

Screenshot (1755).png

https://www.johnlobb.com/en_us/mens-shoes/freddi#selection.color=Black Oxford Calf

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason they’re hard to find is that it’s not the nineteen seventies any more!😁
Seriously there are a few things which continually baffle me about SF and among them are the seeming obsession among many members with ridiculously wide lapels and with these ‘orrible zip boots - both of which coincidentally were popular in the seventies. I lived through that decade and do not want to go back there.

If you’re not into chelseas that’s your prerogative of course but I don’t think zip boots will ‘hug your ankles’ any better than elastic sided boots. A lot of it is about the fit. I was in C and J in NYC once - they have several Chelsea models which I tried and there is a broad variance in last shape and fit, and that’s just within one brand so among several brands the variance will be even wider. If you’re dead set against elastics, have you tried jodhpur boots? Nice ones available from Tricker’s, Meermin, Carmina among others.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think Tricker’s has offered their Jodpher, the Chepstow, as a stock item for a number of years now. Carmina jod is nice.

symphvaria

Reaction score
“It’s not the 70s anymore” seems like a bizarre complaint in a period when Westernwear is more mainstream than ever and people under 30 are wearing bootcut jeans regularly.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason mens's dress zip boots are so rarely made? I will probably relent and try a pair of Chelseas eventually, but I really am not a fan of the elastic concept - I'm just not crazy about the look of the elastic itself, especially when it contrasts with the leather; but also since for practical reasons the foot opening has to be wider to allow the boot to be slipped on, the wider opening means that when you're seated, the boot simply doesn't have the elegant profile that a zip boot does. Also I imagine it would also take some getting used to the boot not hugging my ankle as snugly as a zip boot does.
I have a great pair of black zip boots from To Boot NY that I found over 10 years ago, as well as a couple of other decent but somewhat lower-tier zip boots I've been lucky enough to come across randomly over the last 5 years, but I've been wanting to expand my boot wardrobe for a while now and they're tough to find at any price! Don't others find them appealing? I would think there'd be as much of a market for them, if not more, than for Chelseas. Are they harder to craft for some reason? I'd happily pay a premium for them over Chelseas.
Enzo Bonafe makes a great side zip Mod 3993 is the style. I've got two of them

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3Sixteen had a really nice square toe side zip boot, but it has disappeared from their website.

I have a beautiful vintage YSL (Hedi Sliman) square toe side zips with broguing that I love.

grc1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love zipper dress boots, and have always wondered why they, out of all the “retro” clothing trends, never managed to come back. I ended up commissioning a couple pairs from Ricardo Bestetti before he passed away a few years ago, and I wonder if I’ll ever see their like again. Would love a few more!

Black Bestetti zipper boots
IMG_9286.jpeg

and Brown Bestetti zipper boots
IMG_9287.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Carvil « Dylan » boots. I have a pair in suede but they also made them in leather. Very stylish, will never be out of fashion.
Apparently the brand recently disappeared but you probably have a last chance to find a pair online somewhere.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom