• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did you dress like an adult today?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen! Nice forum you have here. I have greatly enjoyed all of your contributions but was wondering if you could change your posts in this highly specific way so they appeal a little more to me and no one else.
Crocs don't work for you?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this thread. I don't care about the adult thing, I just like OP's posts.

I've never liked mega threads on forums, and SF is full of them. To me they're an indigestible mass full of their own communities that seem impenetrable unless you spend loads of time trying to read and participate in them.

Ex: The Spier & Mackay thread is basically its own forum.

Others are basically just instagram feeds and I don't care for that on forums.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Oops: failed to check the alignment of the tie in the mirror before posing. I fear that the check of the shirt is too close in scale to that of the coat, but once I decided on the trousers that I wanted to wear I found myself short of options in shirts. I would have preferred one in pale pink, but most everything that I have is blue, and I think the trousers contribute quite enough blue for one outfit. The coat and trousers are from Spier and Mackay. The tie is by Cesare Attolini.

2020.09.18 (1).JPG

I tried to get a haircut scheduled this week, but I have to wait till next week.

2020.09.18 (2).JPG

shrink1061

Reaction score
So in the safe haven of a thread for those who “aren’t there yet” here is some
New pieces in playing with, and putting together to see how I feel about the look and the fit.

today a pair of rubinacci Gurkha trousers arrived and being so different from anything I’ve had before, I was unsure on how I felt about fit. But they’re growing on me.

F70DD4E0-01FF-49DC-9CB3-EFC0AB9002B1.jpeg

82FA92DA-8E0C-452C-A83E-DD72C842780F.jpeg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
@am55 I love the swish and drape of these pieces! The open collar is a rakish touch, too.

Did I dress thoughtfully today? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This was my attempt, belatedly from yesterday.

This jacket is one of my fall favorites, but the weather hasn't caught up with the times, so it's linen and cotton the rest of the way. The blue brings out the green.

20200921_092738.jpg IMG_20200921_104009_967.jpg IMG_20200921_104009_969.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Belatedly, yesterday's: Autumn green.

Did I dress thoughtfully today? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This is my attempt.

Same jacket as yesterday, same trousers I wore last week. Combining and recombining. This shirt is over a dozen years old now, and the cuffs and collar are fraying, but I wear it anyway. Professors can get away with a little rumple.

20200922_120829.jpg 20200922_120907.jpg 20200922_160605.jpg

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
Today's outfit.

Did I dress thoughtfully today? Did I dress with a sense of occasion? This is my attempt.

Continuing the green & gold theme, which I suspect I'll carry through for the rest of the month. Yes, I sort out my ties by month of the year. Repetition and variation.

As an aside, I'm starting to wonder whether this jacket qualifies as flannel. It's quarter lined, and the cloth has a certain seethrough quality. It's not labeled, though, so it's tricky to tell. Either way, I enjoy the brown & green tones of it, as well as the number of places where I've had to stitch the holes back together.

20200923_094614.jpg 20200923_094558.jpg 20200923_094518.jpg

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes. If you consider an adult as someone with an
unkempt beard, ill-fitting jeans,. a worn polo, and
dirty running shoes who looks like he just got off
a Trailways bus and is on his way to the local food
bank.
Your name really is on point.

LiteraryBotany

Reaction score
@OldTown @comrade Alright, y'all. What did we say about using our big boy words?

I've noticed that folks on SF use snark and sarcasm as a way to police one another's speech. I kindly ask that we avoid that tendency here. Don't make me use my teacher voice.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@OldTown @comrade Alright, y'all. What did we say about using our big boy words?

I've noticed that folks on SF use snark and sarcasm as a way to police one another's speech. I kindly ask that we avoid that tendency here. Don't make me use my teacher voice.
It was a joke. I have no reason to be snarky to him. I find his reply and his name humorous.

Miles R.

Reaction score
I'm not going to show the shoes in close-up because close examination will show that they are nothing but an old pair of Weejuns. The second photo is included to show that the coat is not in a solid color but in a muted check. (It's of cotton seersucker.)

2020.09.23 (1).JPG

2020.09.23 (2).JPG

Miles R.

Reaction score
Linen for the last day of summer
View attachment 1463959
View attachment 1463960
I would have liked of more muted color for the shirt and the pocket square looks too dark. Linen wrinkels a lot .
I agree with you about the shirt and the pocket square. A duller and paler blue would work better for the shirt, and for the pocket square, it's a pity that I can't lend you the one that I am wearing in my photo (shown below). It would be a good match, I think.

Pocket square.jpg

MadsK

Reaction score
I agree with you about the shirt and the pocket square. A duller and paler blue would work better for the shirt, and for the pocket square, it's a pity that I can't lend you the one that I am wearing in my photo (shown below). It would be a good match, I think.

View attachment 1464150
Beautiful pocket square. I actually planned to wear this, but somehow the other one ended up in my pocket.
20200925_074011.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member