• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding what to wear

Sonny58

Reaction score
How do you decide what to wear? What decision process do you employ? For example, do you have a rotation that dictates your outfit? What article of clothing serves as your inspiration or starting point (jacket, suit, shirt, tie)? Or perhaps your daily activities play more of an influence? Or the weather. How does the process differ for special occassions or social events? Does the attire of your date/companion affect your choices?

I'm just curious about how you well-dressed gentlemen go about it.

(It's a serious question :nodding: )

Sonny58

Reaction score
I'm not looking for an "answer" per se, just curious about how different people go about it. For me, my shirt rotation seems to be the starting point. If it's raining I need to wear rubber soles and I have a limited choice there so that changes things up. :embar:

Last edited:

swiego

Reaction score
I typically pick the the pants first since I have fewer of them, then I pick shoes based on weather and what works with the pants and what I'll be doing, then everything else in no particular order to match the pants and shoes.

tactical1

Reaction score
I usually pick the tie or the shirt and then work from there. I've got the suits/jackets/pants/shoes to support any tie or shirt choice I might make.

Sonny58

Reaction score

I usually pick the tie or the shirt and then work from there. I've got the suits/jackets/pants/shoes to support any tie or shirt choice I might make.

That's interesting. The tie is usually one of the last things I choose.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
1. What have I have to do ... (Do I go conservative business dress, Creative BD, just baggy jeans and chukkas)
2. Inspiration - More flamboyant or not;
3. Pick the suit or SC and pants
4. Pick the Tie
5. Match a Shirt
6. Decide on shoes;
7. Accessories - PS, socks, watch.
Takes max 10 mins.

tactical1

Reaction score

That's interesting. The tie is usually one of the last things I choose.

I look at it like this: I have dozens of ties and I like them all and try to wear them all, but obviously not every tie can go with every shirt or suit. I have fewer shirts, but still many and no trouble cycling through the shirts. I have a dozen or so suits, so by the time I rotate the ties, the shirts and suits fall into place nicely. Works for me.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Normally I look at my shirts first then suits and ties, etc...last - shoes.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I check the weather and dress accordingly. If it is going to rain, I'll probably not wear a pair of EG suedes and make sure to grab my trench coat or umbrella. Cold? Boots, sweater or scarf and flannel or tweed pants/jacket. Tie and shirt, I wear something that I haven't worn in a while an I change up my tie rotation with the season.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

call me crazy but often i start with the watch as i'm a watch lover, and then all the rest

Looks like you are also a rotary lover. What is your handle on RX7.com?

djmattm

Reaction score
^^ Ah i'm just a rotary lover but without a rotary under the bonnet
frown.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got ya. I have been a rotary enthusiast for a while now and have owned all three generations of the 7. I currently own a track car which is a widebody 400 hp first gen.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pheng Chia