• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Student First Business Advice

maid13

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking for sometime and now am making my first post. I am currently a college student and am looking at starting my first business but would like your advice as to whether my idea would work. Through a buddy's family I am able to get brand new Gucci suits and sell them at prices between $700 - $1000. The suits would be full canvass, thus the ones made by Zegna mainline, and I have access to multiple colors and sizes, although it is limited due to it coming directly from Gucci. Looking at eBay this is inline with the prices being sold.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od....TRS0&_nkw=brand+new+mens+gucci+suit&_sacat=0

Although this would be a low margin gain I expect to be able to sell 20+ a month which would give me good income as a college student. My plan is to sell globally on eBay and other sites possibly get my own if need be, and locally through facebook, craigslist, etc. I have read a few posts on here like the one below and know what I should add to my postings in order for customers to know exactly what they are getting before they buy.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...hing-now-designer-clothes-accessories.319515/

Do you all think this is a good plan, and if so what else should I think of and what sizes would you all recommend to get at first for quicker turnover? Below is one that I bought for myself, they quality is amazing on it compared to anything I could buy at these price points.

Thank you all for your input.

IMG_9241.jpg
IMG_9243.jpg

Fashate

Reaction score
This is quite hard. You gotta think that it's not always summer and there's only one Christmas. I mean you need to depend on crowds demand in business

Reaction score
Try reselling on some of the many apps out there for resale (I.e. poshmark).

I don’t think this is necessarily a bad idea, your competitive advantage is your sourcing. To finalize the sale you have to be available on many distribution channels and be able to prove authenticity to potential customers. If you’re targeting to sell 20+ suits per month, that could potentially be done in person. Good luck!

RandyBonnette

Reaction score
I would start with the CollegeInvestor money making schemes for college students. Some other ways and tips how to make money without skipping classes (I worked on a project at Otis College of Art and Design and had tp write my paper on the topic): if it's a limited edition, then it would be more accurate to learn everything about legal practice of reselling brand clothes.

VoodooBoy

Reaction score
Had a similar problem last year. I've decided to switch my profession and become an IT expert. And start my own business. But I failed. Because my plan wasn't good enough. Once again I changed my plans and started to learn stuff about Python, C++ and SQL in order to become a Cisco certified network engineer. And I got Cisco certification using help from this https://cciedump.spoto.net site. Now I work in a big company. I think I will work here for next 3 years. I will gain some experience and start it once again. Try to work in the industry before you make your own business, OP. It can help.

halsbe14

Reaction score
Everyone is gonna have their own 2 cents, so take it with a grain of salt. But here's mine:

At your age, even just thinking about starting a business is the right mentality. Don't get caught up on the details (e.g. whether it'll succeed/fail, the margins, etc.) JUST DO IT. Think of it as the best learning experience in your life. Even more so than college (and a degree). It's just the start..you'll have no idea where it'll take you! Go for it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads