• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic look for tropical holiday?

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Jeans and Chelsea boots, to me, are more mid-season than tropical.
Have you considered trousers in a lighter weight and colour?
Unlined loafers? Espadrilles?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He’s right ^^ that’s too much.
We go almost every year to Cozumel, Mexico where it’s hot and humid all year round.
During the day I’m in t shirt, shorts and flip flops around the beach or the pool.
In the evenings there may be some entertainment on at the hotel or a theme in the restaurant otherwise we stroll into town for a wander round and pick out somewhere to eat. I’ll either be in a polo shirt, khaki cutoff shorts and classic trainers or maybe a linen or madras shirt, linen strides and driving moc loafers.

I may have taken white jeans in the past but that wouldn’t be normal. The only time I need a second layer is for the drafty aeroplane flight. If I take a light jacket it’s not worn at the destination, only for the commute. I have yet to ever see anyone wearing a blazer or Chelsea boots in this environment and as much as I like any excuse to put some effort into my dress, for tropical holidays the cross section of comfort and style is light weight and light/bright colours.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He’s right ^^ that’s too much.
We go almost every year to Cozumel, Mexico where it’s hot and humid all year round.
During the day I’m in t shirt, shorts and flip flops around the beach or the pool.
In the evenings there may be some entertainment on at the hotel or a theme in the restaurant otherwise we stroll into town for a wander round and pick out somewhere to eat. I’ll either be in a polo shirt, khaki cutoff shorts and classic trainers or maybe a linen or madras shirt, linen strides and driving moc loafers.

I may have taken white jeans in the past but that wouldn’t be normal. The only time I need a second layer is for the drafty aeroplane flight. If I take a light jacket it’s not worn at the destination, only for the commute. I have yet to ever see anyone wearing a blazer or Chelsea boots in this environment and as much as I like any excuse to put some effort into my dress, for tropical holidays the cross section of comfort and style is light weight and light/bright colours.
Let Klaus be your guide:

unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Though, to be fair, old Klaus looks a bit overwrought, there... :-D
You could use some of the old AA-Esquire images for inspiration...

b01.jpg

b02.jpg

b03.jpg

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Now, those are from the 1930s.
For today's much more informal take, I think some of the ideas from the 1950s might feel more easily adaptable. I think that quite a few years ago "Die Workwear" once posted on his website some B&W pics of various artists, etc. on Riviera in the summer which looked good.
Lots of white, ltos of linen. Very lightweight "frescolana" wool can work well for trousers and even and unlined jacket as long as it's not too hot.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads