• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinos

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Simultaneously the most basic of men's trousers and also one of the most confusing ... To me, anyway. I think because they seemingly come in both casual and smart (not formal) varieties. And the differences aren't all that straightforward, to the untrained eye. I did find this article useful when putting my thoughts and questions together for this post:

So I have quite a few pairs, and I'm going to focus on two in particular, one that I would say falls into the "standard casual" category (double row of stitching down both seams, coarser material, fuller cut, beige, in the pics below) and one pair that are much closer to "dress chinos" (hidden stitching, slimmer cut, clearly made of a finer and smoother material, grey in the pics below).

So I'm interested in wearing both these pairs of trousers in a smart/casual way. From what I can gather, wearing the dark pair with something like an Oxford cloth shirt, tweed sports coat and brown derbies should be fine ... something like this: (ignore length, I haven't had them shortened yet)
1.jpg

But are the lighter pair of trousers too casual to work with the same sort of ensemble?

2.jpg

Or does the fact that the tweed patch pocket jacket and striped Oxford shirt are both in theory pretty casual mean that this is ok?

I actually struggle to think of what would work with the beige trousers - I think because they are very plain looking as well as not-smart - so anythign else they would potentially go with (a plain t-shirt, a plain polo, etc) would result in a very dull and featureless outfit!

So as well as general ideas about wearing these most deceptively perplexing of trousers, I'm interested in:
1 - Feedback on my "smart casual" (dark) chinos outfit - have I found the right level to peg them at?
2 - Ideas for my "casual casual" (light) chinos outfit - I like the look and feel of these trousers but don't have many ideas about how to wear them without looking very boring!

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
I reply as I seek the answer to your questions as well.

Anyways, I found a look that I think looked quite interesting regarding #2.

Thank you for the article by the way. I learned a lot!

Attachments

• Ripstop-3.jpg
    Ripstop-3.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Garrister

Reaction score
Chinos that are slimmer and with no crease are inherently more casual. Chinos with more drape and a crease are inherently more dressy. Personally, I would choose to wear a more dressy chino with a sports coat or otherwise make sure that the sports coat is very casual (i.e., unstructured with no lining kind of jacket, etc.). IMHO

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
So ... Here's me trying to pair two pairs of similar chinos with a linen overshirt that is, I would say by today's standards of casual dress among people of my age (40s) , relatively smart. While certainly not "formal" in any way , it is sharply cut, has a collar, etc. Let's say, for want of a better word, "elegant".

First pair of chinos (hands in pocket) I would say are not right. They are too casual. They are wide legged and have a visible row of double stitched seams, which from the article I posted leads me to believe they sit on the smart side of the Chino spectrum.

The second pair of chinos have a single seam of stitching. They are also slimmer, though not skinny fitting. To my eye these seem to sit more comfortably with the smart-looking overshirt and therefore this combination could be said to be more coherent, put-together and therefore stylish.

Am on the right lines here with my quest to understand the stylish wearing of chinos?

PXL_20220630_183936661.jpg PXL_20220630_184247941.jpg PXL_20220630_184317661.jpg PXL_20220630_184019592.jpg

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Simultaneously the most basic of men's trousers and also one of the most confusing ... To me, anyway. I think because they seemingly come in both casual and smart (not formal) varieties. And the differences aren't all that straightforward, to the untrained eye. I did find this article useful when putting my thoughts and questions together for this post:

So I have quite a few pairs, and I'm going to focus on two in particular, one that I would say falls into the "standard casual" category (double row of stitching down both seams, coarser material, fuller cut, beige, in the pics below) and one pair that are much closer to "dress chinos" (hidden stitching, slimmer cut, clearly made of a finer and smoother material, grey in the pics below).

So I'm interested in wearing both these pairs of trousers in a smart/casual way. From what I can gather, wearing the dark pair with something like an Oxford cloth shirt, tweed sports coat and brown derbies should be fine ... something like this: (ignore length, I haven't had them shortened yet)
View attachment 1800291

But are the lighter pair of trousers too casual to work with the same sort of ensemble?

View attachment 1800292

Or does the fact that the tweed patch pocket jacket and striped Oxford shirt are both in theory pretty casual mean that this is ok?

I actually struggle to think of what would work with the beige trousers - I think because they are very plain looking as well as not-smart - so anythign else they would potentially go with (a plain t-shirt, a plain polo, etc) would result in a very dull and featureless outfit!

So as well as general ideas about wearing these most deceptively perplexing of trousers, I'm interested in:
1 - Feedback on my "smart casual" (dark) chinos outfit - have I found the right level to peg them at?
2 - Ideas for my "casual casual" (light) chinos outfit - I like the look and feel of these trousers but don't have many ideas about how to wear them without looking very boring!
My opinion is if you can't tell if you like it, you don't like it. The only thing I don't care for on your dark chino look is the break. I'm way into light to white color chinos right now. I think they look great with blue, denim, or chambray tops. I've been playing around with more wide leg chinos, I think they look more classic and dressy.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
My opinion is if you can't tell if you like it, you don't like it. The only thing I don't care for on your dark chino look is the break. I'm way into light to white color chinos right now. I think they look great with blue, denim, or chambray tops. I've been playing around with more wide leg chinos, I think they look more classic and dressy.

Yeah - the dark chinos are from Spoke and are supposed to be very fitted to me. Obviously they aren't quite, so they are going back to be replaced by a pair that are an inch shorter!

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Yeah - the dark chinos are from Spoke and are supposed to be very fitted to me. Obviously they aren't quite, so they are going back to be replaced by a pair that are an inch shorter!
Had to Google Spoke, as I've never seen that brand. Their chinos look great. I had troubles realizing the appropriateness of chinos myself. I settled on, is a step above jeans, like a smart casual, although can be like streetwear but more comfortable than jeans sometimes. Ultimately it's the comfort for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads