• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chino fit feedback

rjc149

Reaction score
These are my new Jack Donnelly chinos in their M2 fit, which is a straight fit. I'm beginning my journey away from slim fit and stretch, and want to enter well-dressed middle age without frumpy or dad-fitting pants. The 'bachelor uncle' is the look I'm going for.

The fit on these is a little roomier than I'm used to, not having worn baggy pants in public since 1998. I would not call these baggy, but I do feel the legs and seat could use just a little taking-in. This would not be an expensive proposition for my tailor.

The photos don't really convey it, but they feel -- roomy -- when I'm out and about and catch a glimpse of my reflection passing a window or such. I have short legs proportional to my torso, so the taper from seat to hem looks more abrupt when I'm walking. Looking back at the seat, it looks sort of baggy. Very comfortable to sit in, so I don't want to sacrifice that but I'm willing to compromise slightly.

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated, gentlemen. Thank you.

image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Looks like a good fit to me. Not surprised they feel roomy if you're used to slim fit or stretch. But you'll get used to it and they look much better.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the trouser leg width looks good on you. I definitely would not call them baggy; if anything they are still relatively narrower than many roomier chinos out there.

I agree though, there is something a little off in terms of how the seat fits on you. The back rise may be too long for you. If you pull the back of the waistband up by about 0.5" does the seat look cleaner? It may be that this pattern isn't really suited to your anatomy.

rjc149

Reaction score
The back rise may be too long for you. If you pull the back of the waistband up by about 0.5" does the seat look cleaner?
Yes, it does. That's why I'm thinking I could have the seat taken in just a bit, or maybe have the inseam go a little higher into the crotch to shorten the back rise a bit? I'm just worried that will come at the expense of comfort when seated.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I think it looks okay although I personally have a strong preference for slim fit and think a slight leg taper would look better, but that is just personal preference. I also think that polo shirt is really nice but be careful not to wear that specific combo in public because you'll look like Blue's Clues

Attachments

• bclues.png
    bclues.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 97

rjc149

Reaction score
I think it looks okay although I personally have a strong preference for slim fit and think a slight leg taper would look better, but that is just personal preference. I also think that polo shirt is really nice but be careful not to wear that specific combo in public because you'll look like Blue's Clues
lol damn, he’s the spitting image!

My infant nephew likes Blue’s Clues, so maybe I’ll reserve this combo for babysitting.

Honestly if these chinos were just a touch slimmer, I’d immediately buy another pair in navy. The fabric and construction is really premium, but I’m just not in love with the fit. I hope that will develop over time. They have an “Ivy fit” which is slimmer with a slight taper, and a higher rise. Those are on the way for a trial.

KOz

Reaction score
I think more room in the thigh would be even better.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does. That's why I'm thinking I could have the seat taken in just a bit, or maybe have the inseam go a little higher into the crotch to shorten the back rise a bit? I'm just worried that will come at the expense of comfort when seated.

Not a tailor but I don’t think taking the seat in through the center seam will fix this problem. Shortening the back rise involves removing the back of the waistband from the trouser, removing some fabric, and reattaching the waistband. You may want to show them to a good alterations tailor to see what they suggest.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding your new experience with the Jack Donnelly M2 pants, it's great that you're experimenting with a new style. I understand how you feel trying to get used to a looser fit after a long period of wearing fitted pants. It is important to find a balance between comfort and appearance. It may be worth considering a slight modification according to your preferences, so that the pants look more confident, without losing the comfort of the seat.

sounds like an GenAI answer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads