• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of Carmina hatchgrain chukkas from Skoak. As reported around here, the leather seems to have difficulty holding the finish. Mine arrived with several spots where just the laces had left visible marks on the surface. Luckily, I knew about the issue before I ordered, so I wasn't freaked out. I also wanted them to be a bit darker, so I applied several layers of Glen Karen dark brown polish, which worked great. They still get some marks where there's friction, but brushing seems to take care of it, or I can just apply a little polish. As for those jumpers, at $395, you should go for it with your eyes open about the finishing on the leather and just plan to add some additional polish and touch them up as necessary. (Also, how are you getting them for $395?!) Here are my chukkas as they were when they arrived.
Here they are after the Glen Karen treatment (with different laces).
Very helpful. Since these have the rugged soles, I would be wearing them in Fall/Winter and like the darker look.
Holy crap, those are nice. If I'm 9 UK in the Rain, can I fit into 8.5 UK in the Oscar? (Don't worry, I won't snipe them from you.)
Bass on my research, you should take same size for Rain and Oscar. I have only tried Rain to date.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Looking good SE!
I need those navy shell PTBs for myself!!! Hating myself right now for not participating on that MTO :(

I know this has been mentioned already few times but in my humble opinion, everyone feet & comfort level (or tolerance level) is different

I used to wear my shoes bit loose at first. Then I started to wear my shoes way too snug :(

Nowadays, I prefer bit of a room and dont mind too much about how uppers crease or bit of heel slip
Currently I wear...

Alden Aberdeen - 7 D US
Alden Barrie / Van - 6.5 D US
Carmina Rain - 6 UK (tho I have few 5.5 UK in Rain that I still wear)
Carmina Simpson - 6 UK (bit snug on me and 6,5 also fits me okay) but most of my customers seem to size up half for simpson
Carmina Detroit / Soller - 5.5 UK

Hope this helps :)
Or at least doesnt confuse you gents too much..

Cheers!
Steve

Hey Steve,

Speaking of Detroit.

I'm curious as to why you wear the Detroit last one full size smaller than the Barrie last and a half-size smaller than the Rain last. I thought you recommended to take the Rain and Detroit in similar sizing or take 1/2 size from Barrie last.

Last edited:

steveyoo1983

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Steve,
Speaking of Detroit.
I'm curious as to why you wear the Detroit last one full size smaller than the Barrie last and a half-size smaller than the Rain last. I thought you recommended to take the Rain and Detroit in similar sizing or take 1/2 size from Barrie last.
Sorry I dont mean to confuse (and shouldve clarified) but my current barrie and van at 6.5 is bit loose and 6 might fit better for me....plus my feet is quite weird as my right foot is about half size bigger than left.

I give half size down from Barrie for Detroit (and Rain) based on other customers feedback
Again this is all subjective and everyone's preference / tolerance level may differ :)

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Let's not forget that everyone's feet are different.

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rc121

Reaction score
X-post from gentleman's footwear thread:
In preparation for fall and winter, anyone interested in a grain chukka on dainite? Thinking:

3 eyelet chukka on Rain or Detroit

In the handfinished grain leather like on skoak's recent saddle shoe:

I like this color, but we should be able to specify any variation since its handfinished.

Any takers? Getting this in now would get them here in early/mid fall

andrel42

Reaction score
I am really desperate for a pair of Unipair Carmina 80330 in Navy Cordovan ... shamefully my size is no longer available (9.5 UK) ... Of course it's as usual ... too many shoes already but this is just the one I need - Appreciate if you can let us know when you get a restock although I hear there is a shortage blue shell at Carmina. I just had to post a picture from your website :)

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Any interest out there for a GMTO for the two shoes below in black calf, rain or simpson last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads