• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUILDING MY FIRST WARDOBE

vigofas

Reaction score
Background:
Hello everyone. I stumbled across this site when trying to determine how to dress for my new job.

I currently have a job here in nice and humid Florida where I am a engineer salesman at one of our remote offices. I work with large, dirty, messy manufacturing facilities that require steel toe boots, blue jeans, and normally a synthetic polo to keep you dry after sweating all day. The culture of my customers required this type of apparel to fit in and not stand out which was very important. The environment involves everything from mud, grease coal dust, and acid.

I am now moving up north to my companies HQ selling to clients who dress more white collar. Inside my companies HQ, everyone I see wears either a suit with no tie, or a blue blazer. The individuals who go out and see customer tend to wear the blazer vs the suit.
I need to build a wardrobe that is versatile and has many options . I do not have a big budget to get started, and am hoping to add a few pieces every month or so.

I am pretty new to this type of dressing, and making sure I do it write and I need some help.

Questions:

Pants:
-When it comes to purchasing pants, do I go for a synthetic blend or do I go straight to wool? I have two pair of Haggar expandable waist pants that are synthetic but I am told these are not as professional.
-What color should I aim for in pants. I was thinking dark navy, a light brown, and grey. Are these good choices since I am thinking blue sports coat? Black makes me think butler, bell hop, or busboy.

Shirts:
-Since I want to keep the outfits versatile, I was thinking of keeping it simple with 1-2 white shirts, and 3 different light shades of blue with no pattern. 100% cotton blend. I plan on keeping the top button unbuttoned.

Blazer:
- I am not sure how to go about picking out a blue blazer. Should I avoid the gold buttons so that it doesn't come across too formal? Can I wear the blue blazer with the color pants and shirts I am looking into?

Shoes:
I actually have a pair of brown wingtip Cole Hann shoes that I own along with a $60 Black pair of Kenneth Cole synthetic monk shoes. I assume the Cole Hanns are acceptable, however the Kenneth Coles I should look to a real Leather shoe. I was thinking either a Derby or Loafer in black. What is your opinion on the two.

Conclusion:
As you can see I am really starting from the bottom and building up my wardrobe. I have a child on the way so I would like to start at $500 for my initial purchases of this month and then add to the wardrobe over the next few months

Alpha11

Reaction score
Welcome back to the site.

As far as what you should buy:

Should you get a Blazer?
Answer: Yes and so not worry about the brass button either. Just make sure it is made very well as this will be your got to item in your wardrobe. BTW, the brass button has more to do with the US Navy than being too formal. I find that Brooks Brothers make a pretty well made Blazer and as such should last you awhile until you have more income coming in to where you can go made to measure. They have 3 fits Madison Regent Milano. Try to find the right fit to compliment your body. Spend the majority of your budget getting this addition to your wardrobe first as it is the Foundation of a man's wardrobe

What type of trouser should I purchase?

Answer: Trousers should be full wool/ wool gabardine. Once again, as you have more income coming in you can try different fabric for the weather like linen, cotton poplin, and flannel.

Make sure you get them tailored properly. Also if your pockets are flaring ( meaning are not laying flat) it is not the style as I have seen countless time as of late but are a symptom of the trousers being too tight.

Should I buy new shoe?

Answer: right now with the budget you have supplied us with I would say No. If your shoes that you have right now are not beat up too badly then save your money until you can get a well made pair of shoes from someone like Allen Edmond's, Alden, or Crockett and Jones. The main focus here should be not wasting money on cheaply made items for you wardrobe. Additionally, I would buy a pair of oxfords or bluchers and stay away from the loafers for the time being. Once you have the basic then you can move over to something a little less traditional.

You seem to be on the right track as far as shirt are concerned. However, if you are going to wear a tie then I would definitely go with Oxford button-down collars as they keep the collars in their right place with or without a jacket on.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sona Umar