• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown jeans - outfit style advice?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah me neither actually. It kind of doesn't really make sense to me but it is a look I've seen done well on this site. And I'm interested in ways of wearing my sports coats casually, in this very casualified world we're living in. The truth of the matter is, if it can't be done (or is very difficult to do) then I find myself questioning whether there is actually a need for sports coats at all in the modern gentleman's wardrobe. The opportunities to wear them for formal situations are just too few and far between to justify the relatively high expense. And I love them as individual items of beauty in their own right, so I keep looking and trying to find ways to wear them casually.

Personally, I just wear my sport coats the way they were meant to be worn. I try and go to nicer places and do things where they’re not out of place. Or I just decide not to care that day that people are in sweats or whatever

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I just wear my sport coats the way they were meant to be worn. I try and go to nicer places and do things where they’re not out of place. Or I just decide not to care that day that people are in sweats or whatever

I'm with @mak1277. Wear your sport coats wherever you go and ignore what others do. My wife and I went out with some neighbors on Friday. I was wearing tailoring and my wife looked nice. From our neighbors, the woman looked good and the guy showed up in a t-shirt that looked like it had been lying wrinkled in a drawer for some time and shorts.

I prefer not going about my day in that fashion.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Can I get away with wearing a casual jacket and trousers in the same or very similar colour? Or does it have the same effect as wearing a (non-matching) tailored jacket and trousers in the same colour - i.e a mismatched suit. Obviously a casual jacket and trousers won't look like a mismatched suit but is there still an issue with the lack of contrast?

In the pictures below I am wearing the same slim brown RL jeans, with a couple of my dark brown casual jackets. I also took one wearing a lighter brown pair of jeans for added contrast. How do these looks work?

PXL_20221010_142156571.jpg
PXL_20221011_122450702.jpg
PXL_20221011_122333613.jpg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get away with wearing a casual jacket and trousers in the same or very similar colour? Or does it have the same effect as wearing a (non-matching) tailored jacket and trousers in the same colour - i.e a mismatched suit. Obviously a casual jacket and trousers won't look like a mismatched suit but is there still an issue with the lack of contrast?

In the pictures below I am wearing the same slim brown RL jeans, with a couple of my dark brown casual jackets. I also took one wearing a lighter brown pair of jeans for added contrast. How do these looks work?

The top one looks ok and the bottom two, less so. The way I figure this out is to imagine how it looks from a distance away. If the two pieces are obviously different in hue, it's fine. Otherwise, it gets more ambiguous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads