• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kik595

Reaction score
Sizing help with C&J Moltons?

Hi all! Long time boot nerd here but being a Luddite only recently joined.

Thinking of picking up a pair of Crockett & Jones finally and leaning heavily towards their Molton Chukkas in the 336 last - but I have no stockist within several hundred miles to try any variation of the C&J lasts.

My Brannock scale is around somewhere but I'm hoping that perhaps the following info might be enough for someone to lend a thought: in Alden's Trubalance and Barrie lasts I take an 11.5 US; an 11.5D/E in Allen Edmonds 65 last (D takes about a month of wear before fully comfortable, thicker socks required with the Es but next to no 'break-in' period - 12D works but is a fair bit lengthy) and lastly, Viberg's 2030 in 10.5 UK/Viberg is the best overall fit for my shape. In younger days before switching almost entirely to higher grade boots brands like Johnston & Murphy, Steve Madden, etc, worked for 'ready to wear' in 12D US, but these did almost always run a bit long (not a huge issue in boots, I know, just info)

So - given this, and my personal preference for wearing dress socks with chukkas (ie thin socks rather than thick) - can anyone recommend whether I ought try the 336 last in a 10.5 UK? Or will this inevitably be too small and require an 11 UK? My hunch is that given the wider fore-foot design C&J ascribes to the 336 would make a 10.5 a solid choice, but like I say, I'll happily defer to those who have actual knowledge of this one!

Cross posted on C&J thread, mods please just let me know if not allowed for any reason.

Arrow509

Reaction score
Breaking in a newer pair of Nicks today.

Nicks chestnut oiled latigo 8.19.23.jpg

basu13

Reaction score
Do these have a midsole? I was looking at some iron rangers but decided against it due to it lacking in this area. These have a similar style so could be an alternative option.
Yes they do have a thick veg tanned midsole. In my experience, Trumans are built extremely solidly and have a sense of heft to them which are reminiscent of say, Trickers Stows. I wear a lot of Grant Stone boots, and Trumans are closely matched and a bit heftier than GS.

basu13

Reaction score
Those are fabulous boots.
Thank you. The rambler leather from CF Stead is indeed a unique one and this particular shade that they call Martini is chick full of character right from the get go. Will be interesting to see how they age.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. The rambler leather from CF Stead is indeed a unique one and this particular shade that they call Martini is chick full of character right from the get go. Will be interesting to see how they age.
Do you own any PNW boots that you might be able to compare them too? I've always wondered what someone who owned a pair of Trumans and Nicks or Whites might have to say about their Trumans.

Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
Do you own any PNW boots that you might be able to compare them too? I've always wondered what someone you owned a pair of Trumans and Nicks or Whites might have to say about their Trumans.
Unfortunately not, Nicks is a grail buy for me sometime in the future. I would say, from second hand knowledge , that the Trumans are somewhere in the middle between dressier Grant Stones and the chonk monsters which are Nicks and Whites. In their own right, Trumans are hefty and very well built.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, Nicks is a grail buy for me sometime in the future. I would say, from second hand knowledge , that the Trumans are somewhere in the middle between dressier Grant Stones and the chonk monsters which are Nicks and Whites.
I think I understand what your saying. However to be honest I've always considered something like Nicks, Whites, Trumans, to be nothing more than casual boots anyway. Well, that is except Nicks and Whites are fully capable of being work boots, some of their boots maybe more than others. But that would also hold true for Grant Stone and Viberg as well in regards to being considered them to be more casual type boots. Something to be worn with jeans and not to be worn with dress pants for example.

No, what I was looking for would be things like quality, weight, leather thickness and things of that nature.

basu13

Reaction score
I think I understand what your saying. However to be honest I've always considered something like Nicks, Whites, Trumans, to be nothing more than casual boots anyway. Well, that is except Nicks and Whites are fully capable of being work boots, some of their boots maybe more than others. But that would also hold true for Grant Stone and Viberg as well in regards to being considered them to be more casual type boots. Something to be worn with jeans and not to be worn with dress pants for example.

No, what I was looking for would be things like quality, weight, leather thickness and things of that nature.
Don't have that comparison handy with me, others might be able to pitch in. However I will say that the build and overall construction quality of the two Trumans that I have is excellent. Both the rambler leather and the seidel double shot leather on my Trumans are thick (a bit thicker than Grant Stones but certainly not as thick as a Nicks), and they are also pretty heavy/hefty.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have that comparison handy with me, others might be able to pitch in. However I will say that the build and overall construction quality of the two Trumans that I have is excellent. Both the rambler leather and the seidel double shot leather on my Trumans are thick (a bit thicker than Grant Stones but certainly not as thick as a Nicks), and they are also pretty heavy/hefty.
I've always kind of liked some of the different leathers they use but got the impression sometimes the leather was not that thick and at least at one point they used foam in their footbeds.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sizing help with C&J Moltons?

Hi all! Long time boot nerd here but being a Luddite only recently joined.

Thinking of picking up a pair of Crockett & Jones finally and leaning heavily towards their Molton Chukkas in the 336 last - but I have no stockist within several hundred miles to try any variation of the C&J lasts.

My Brannock scale is around somewhere but I'm hoping that perhaps the following info might be enough for someone to lend a thought: in Alden's Trubalance and Barrie lasts I take an 11.5 US; an 11.5D/E in Allen Edmonds 65 last (D takes about a month of wear before fully comfortable, thicker socks required with the Es but next to no 'break-in' period - 12D works but is a fair bit lengthy) and lastly, Viberg's 2030 in 10.5 UK/Viberg is the best overall fit for my shape. In younger days before switching almost entirely to higher grade boots brands like Johnston & Murphy, Steve Madden, etc, worked for 'ready to wear' in 12D US, but these did almost always run a bit long (not a huge issue in boots, I know, just info)

So - given this, and my personal preference for wearing dress socks with chukkas (ie thin socks rather than thick) - can anyone recommend whether I ought try the 336 last in a 10.5 UK? Or will this inevitably be too small and require an 11 UK? My hunch is that given the wider fore-foot design C&J ascribes to the 336 would make a 10.5 a solid choice, but like I say, I'll happily defer to those who have actual knowledge of this one!

Cross posted on C&J thread, mods please just let me know if not allowed for any reason.
I’d go tts UK which is probably your Viberg size, welcome aboard..🍷

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member