• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Trouser Pricing

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are small timers….
77F9C105-D7C4-4C3F-BF7B-E45F4F909E6A.png

Marshak

Reaction score
Yes, please let us know where you’re finding these prices. Although, if I had this, I wouldn’t tell anyone.

What is this based upon? Experience? Or your knowledge of the work involved?

Most neapolitan trousermakers will pratice this price locally, like Cerrato (@aristoi bcn can testify) or Voglio (with who I've worked) or Mola (around 350/400 euros). Of course they will double it in trunk shows.

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would expect Salvo from I Sarti Italiani to be back in NYC in ~October. So far I have done 3 suits with Salvo, and the trousers have been spot on at the first fitting from the first suit forward.

I am not sure what trouser pricing looks like currently, but I tend to think it would pleasantly surprise those who have a mental benchmark for "Italian trouser pricing at NYC trunkshow".

I Sarti carries Italian books, so if you are looking for English fabrics, you probably want to secure those on your own + CMT. I have a cav twill and linen lengths from Dugdale I am likely having made up as odd trousers on the next visit.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s called a scam lol. 2k for trousers? You’re paying for 5th Avenue rents at that point
There’s nothing remarkable about the cut to justify his prices. He also relies on an older tailor and clientele base. I would be interested in seeing how long he’s able to sustain those prices. They don’t allow room for growth to capture younger clientele who need a tailor in the near future.

BomTrady

Reaction score
There’s nothing remarkable about the cut to justify his prices. He also relies on an older tailor and clientele base. I would be interested in seeing how long he’s able to sustain those prices. They don’t allow room for growth to capture younger clientele who need a tailor in the near future.
I am all for market capitalism and believe tailors, like everyone, should be able to charge what the market bears, but there's a point at which prices become unreasonable and forums and discussions like this serve as a bulwark against such practices by tailors, especially for new or unsuspecting customers - case in point me. A few years ago I purchased quite a few bespoke items from a well-known Florence tailor who is largely known for his jackets, but among my commission were two pairs of odd trousers. Like an idiot, and because of COVID, a two year delay in delivery and my own stupidity, I failed to pay attention to the prices. 'Long story short I realized I was charged $2,500 each for two pairs of trousers. Another trouser maker from Naples happen to be in NY last month when I picked up the overpriced Florence trousers and he took a look inside and said in his accent, "dese pents look like Rota inside (okay, that was kind of funny), mostly machine". Being the nice guy he is, he held back on any criticism of the price itself. Okay, I am a little frivolous in spending on my wardrobe I'll admit, but I am not stupid. I am an easy-going customer and I don't complain about much of which I could legitimately complain, but on this I went back to the trunk show host, of which I've been a loyal customer for many years in NY, and and got a credit for my current commissions to make up for what I thought was way out of market pricing. Had I not been a reader of this forum, I am not sure I would have said anything about this, having commissioned many jackets but never trousers with this Florence shop; but I did so without even the slightest bit of compunction.

worldrunner

Reaction score
I am all for market capitalism and believe tailors, like everyone, should be able to charge what the market bears, but there's a point at which prices become unreasonable and forums and discussions like this serve as a bulwark against such practices by tailors, especially for new or unsuspecting customers - case in point me. A few years ago I purchased quite a few bespoke items from a well-known Florence tailor who is largely known for his jackets, but among my commission were two pairs of odd trousers. Like an idiot, and because of COVID, a two year delay in delivery and my own stupidity, I failed to pay attention to the prices. 'Long story short I realized I was charged $2,500 each for two pairs of trousers. Another trouser maker from Naples happen to be in NY last month when I picked up the overpriced Florence trousers and he took a look inside and said in his accent, "dese pents look like Rota inside (okay, that was kind of funny), mostly machine". Being the nice guy he is, he held back on any criticism of the price itself. Okay, I am a little frivolous in spending on my wardrobe I'll admit, but I am not stupid. I am an easy-going customer and I don't complain about much of which I could legitimately complain, but on this I went back to the trunk show host, of which I've been a loyal customer for many years in NY, and and got a credit for my current commissions to make up for what I thought was way out of market pricing. Had I not been a reader of this forum, I am not sure I would have said anything about this, having commissioned many jackets but never trousers with this Florence shop; but I did so without even the slightest bit of compunction.

Has to be Liverano with those prices.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting points, I usually tell my tailor no if he quotes me something that’s unreasonable. He wants to make the sale so he comes down. If I’m being unreasonable in my request I back down and save up for another day.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I fail to see why one would choose him over logsdail if you want a tailor in america. I know other American tailors who have raised their prices as well using Len's prices as a justification. Low Information buyers (which even the vast majority of SF members are) believe that bespoke is bespoke & theyre all the same. They don't take into account a difference of experience, and that some tailors are truly masters of their craft.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These don’t look like $2,200 trousers to you?
90548865-B4BF-455A-AC1E-F4D87CD10A78.jpeg
4F110545-7BF0-4FA1-9DA5-0F90745FF895.jpeg
4BD5C619-A974-470B-8255-FE831E39446A.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fail to see why one would choose him over logsdail if you want a tailor in america. I know other American tailors who have raised their prices as well using Len's prices as a justification. Low Information buyers (which even the vast majority of SF members are) believe that bespoke is bespoke & theyre all the same. They don't take into account a difference of experience, and that some tailors are truly masters of their craft.
Paola’s pricing seems high all around even for NYC…

Do we know if Paolo makes the pattern or is a cutter?

I worked with Paolo when he was with Paul Stuart. He had a loyal following when they closed down the custom shop. They made me some nice garments. His cutter’s name is Zino.

E27D89AB-4369-44BB-A956-3BBC9F8A8629.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member