• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Argentina (Buenos Aires, specifically)!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
What do you want to do? Anything in particular? Jon.
Eat, shop, relax, watch polo, go to the theatre, repeat. I'm curious about Argentine labels for RTW clothes. What is there at the middle and high end? What do they sell, and how expensive is it? I remember people being well-dressed, but didn't do any shopping when I was there before. We were looking at Claridge as a hotel. Thoughts?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Does anyone know how much the weekend bags from Rossi Caruso cost?

Not off the top of my head, no. However, if this is ANY kind of indicator, belts were around $35 (US) w/ buckle and reversible leather jackets were around $300 (US).

Regarding your previous recommendation requests, I'll compose a list in a few days.

Jon.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, Jon. Perhaps between $250 or $350, then. I guess I'll have to limit myself to one.
devil.gif

6010571jo.jpg

6011573py.jpg

6021570kf.jpg

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Lots of good information on Buenos Aires. What about suits? I know there is a strong Italian influence and was wondering if anyone knows of any places to get a well made custom suit. You cant argue with the exchange rate. From what I have gathered they are a well dressed bunch.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'd imagine there would also be a strong British influence on suits?
Little known fact that the English basically controlled the Argentinean economy for over 50 years and the presidents of the Republic were really decided by the English Club of Argentina. Oh, damn I forgot to compile a list, I’ll try to do that this weekend. Jon.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Lots of good information on Buenos Aires. What about suits? I know there is a strong Italian influence and was wondering if anyone knows of any places to get a well made custom suit. You cant argue with the exchange rate. From what I have gathered they are a well dressed bunch.

I believe the only person on these boards (or AA) who's had custom work done went to a place called Cheverney Sasteria, across from the lovely French embassy. I cannot recall the poster's name, but the price was around $1000, needed several fittings over more than a week, and really required strong Spanish. If you do searches for that name, you'll find the posts.

I found the Argentines to be on par with say Portuguese or Spaniards. Generally they are more apt to wear a collared shirt or jacket than most Americans, but not particularly high quality. You won't confuse them for being Milanese from the neck down.

For the most part, the suits tend to be a little cheap and Italian-styled. Of course, there were some very, very well dressed fellows that I saw, but they were a minority. Guys under 25 tend to dress like Southern Californians -- lots of cool t-shirts and jeans and sneakers. They love to say they're like Paris or Barcelona, but mostly the city reminded me of LA or Miami. I see more "British influence" in Australia, Canada, or Boston (and no, I don't care to engage in a debate whether New England "trad" is British influenced or not).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I believe the only person on these boards (or AA) who's had custom work done went to a place called Cheverney Sasteria, across from the lovely French embassy. I cannot recall the poster's name, but the price was around $1000, needed several fittings over more than a week, and really required strong Spanish. If you do searches for that name, you'll find the posts.

I found the Argentines to be on par with say Portuguese or Spaniards. Generally they are more apt to wear a collared shirt or jacket than most Americans, but not particularly high quality. You won't confuse them for being Milanese from the neck down.

For the most part, the suits tend to be a little cheap and Italian-styled. Of course, there were some very, very well dressed fellows that I saw, but they were a minority. Guys under 25 tend to dress like Southern Californians -- lots of cool t-shirts and jeans and sneakers. They love to say they're like Paris or Barcelona, but mostly the city reminded me of LA or Miami. I see more "British influence" in Australia, Canada, or Boston (and no, I don't care to engage in a debate whether New England "trad" is British influenced or not).

Being from Bs As and living in SoFLA, I can say without reservation that Bs As is NOTHING like Miami. It's not even close. Not the layout, architecture, city structure, nightlife, arts and leisure, automobile style, transportation, attitude, laws, culture, overall lifestyle, food, and so on and so fourth. Seriously, they are worlds (literately) part.

People under 25 dress about the same all over the world! Its all jeans, tees and sneakers, unless you know of a country where are the teenagers are always dressed in perfectly fitting 3-piece suits...

Bs As is a lot more like Paris than you give it credit for, and the English influence is a lot more subdued these days, but its still there. Oh, and how do you except the average citizenry of a 3rd world country that just came out from under the largest economic default in history to dress in high-end clothing? How do you expect them to afford it?

Now regarding whether New England is influenced by the British... j/k

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe it was Juan Peron who more or less took back control of the country?

Yes and no. What Peron really did was make a lot of the utilities public poverty, thus not allowing the original oligarchy to keep on ripping people off through their privatized companies. At the same time the coffers of the Banco Nacional de la Republica Argentina were quite full, and Peron started food distribution program, which allowed people who were starving to eat (while at the same time curtailing their freedom). The original oligarchy, which still retained control of non-publicized companies were left with less power, but were replaced by the new oligarchy: the military.

BTW, Peron was in the Italian army during the 30's, which helped shape some of his dictatorial and fascist views.

Jon.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Thanks for the Cheverney Sasteria reference, Mr Magoo. Its a start. The guidebook I have goes on and on about leather goods but not a word on tailors.

vc2000

Reaction score
QUOTE=chorse123] We were looking at Claridge as a hotel. Thoughts? [/quote]

I'm not impressed by the Claridge. The photos appear better then it is - the location is not that great either.

Not sure what you are looking for in a hotel.

If you are looking for value try renting an apartment. You can get a very nice furnished apartment for less then a hotel.

The Alvear Palace Hotel is the grand old hotel in BA. The lobby is wonderful as is the location. Like many older hotels the rooms can be small - the closet and bathrooms are from the days when you lucky to have one. (Read that as tiny)

The Four Seasons is the Four Seasons - it is on the edge of the best area but near the highway and an underpass. (There is a great steak house in the under passage.) The rooms are large and generous.

A more middle road choice is the Art Suites. The rooms are decent sized and new.

Hope this helps.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Being from Bs As and living in SoFLA, I can say without reservation that Bs As is NOTHING like Miami. It's not even close. Not the layout, architecture, city structure, nightlife, arts and leisure, automobile style, transportation, attitude, laws, culture, overall lifestyle, food, and so on and so fourth. Seriously, they are worlds (literately) part.

People under 25 dress about the same all over the world! Its all jeans, tees and sneakers, unless you know of a country where are the teenagers are always dressed in perfectly fitting 3-piece suits...

Bs As is a lot more like Paris than you give it credit for, and the English influence is a lot more subdued these days, but its still there. Oh, and how do you except the average citizenry of a 3rd world country that just came out from under the largest economic default in history to dress in high-end clothing? How do you expect them to afford it?

Just returned from BsAs so this thread was somewhat on my mind. This is all coming from an outsider perspective. Of course, I don't know the city as well as you, but I do have the fresh eye of an outsider.

First, let me clarify what I meant by my finding Argentina to be more like LA or Florida than western Europe -- whether it be Paris or wherever. First, it's at least as Latin American "feeling" as European, which captures a lot of FL or CA (unlike the northern US). Moreover, I also find the people to be more "American" than "European". Meaning the people are more open, friendly, giving and honest than you're likely to find in Europe.

Going out in Paris I find it nearly impossible to speak to a stranger, especially as a male (North) American. In BsAs, on the other hand, I had many people strike up conversations with me. I'd say at least half the waiters and bartenders wanted to know where we were from, what we thought of BA, how long we were staying, asked if we wanted to come to a party, etc. That's something that's not really going to happen in Paris, but is more likely to happen in the US. Yes, there are lovely apartment buildings that could've been found in Paris, but many more that wouldn't.

I don't think of BA as the same as Miami, but Americans shouldn't get the view that it's like France. It is its own place with its own unique feel. And if someone is planning on traveling there and wants to bring nicer clothes than they wear in the US for going out, I'd say generally don't bother. You're as likely to see flip-flops and t-shirts (which, by the way, is not something you see much of in the Paris) there as here.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Magoo: Please relate any shopping/consuming experiences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads