• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone interested in joining me in a bulk order of 13" Tailors' Shears (scissors) made in Italy?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What was the final cost per unit for the first run?

Sub-Question:
If a second run is organized, would they cost less? Presumably some of the one time costs associated with manufacturing and tooling set up would have already been absorbed, resulting in a substantially lower cost per unit. I could be off base here, but just keeping the conversation going.

Anyway, I dont have a use for them myself, but if the cost was reasonable enough, I would think about getting a pair as a gift for my tailor.

The cost for the 2nd run is still fluid. They raised the price towards the end of the manufacture, and I've had to swallow it. The tooling already existed, what they didn't have a good calculation on was the time involved. These are cast and it takes a fair amount of manual work, and in addition, they are hand tuned. If they price the same, I would have to raise it by a small amount. I'll reach out via PM.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

interested. may someone explain why the gold/brass handles are preferred?

It's strictly aesthetic. They're plated, so over time they will develop a patina as the plating weathers, to some this is attractive, to others they're treating these as strictly functional or don't like that patina.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

by plated, I'm assuming gold plated over brass? how many microns thick is the plating?

No, they are brass plated, sorry I wasn't clear. I don't know how many microns, I can certainly ask but I'm not sure I'll get an answer on that.

RyanC

Reaction score
I am definitely interested in the 13" run. Count me in if they go through with a second run of them!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When are the shears supposed to be shipped out? 

Very, very soon. They should leave the factory within days.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here are 2 photos of the shears that we've ordered. If anyone is interested for the 2nd round, this is what they'll look like. For folks that have sent me a message, I have them and will reply soon. I am pretty busy getting this order fulfilled.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look hella boss. Not gonna lie, it'd be cool to have a pair of shears like that even though I have absolutely no need for them. I'd end up using them to cut the back out of a chicken or something.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The first shears have arrived and they exceed expectations. The quality is amazing. Super happy... when I cut my first piece of suit flannel my first thought was "holy ****".

All the first orders have been delivered as of today.

I am finalizing the remaining order, everyone that has PM'd me has been replied to. If you didn't get a reply, please let me know. Turnaround time on the order is 30 days. PLEASE SEND A PM TO BE INCLUDED ASAP.

I want to personally thank everyone that was willing to take the risk on the first order with me, I am very happy to have rewarded your faith.

Here is a photos o[/I]f the final product.

Still working on the 16" shear... PM me to be part of that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads