• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here make a career from music after starting later in life?

helliF

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

My mother made me play piano for 5/6 years in elementary school before I switched to trumpet in Jr. High, eventually quitting both in 10th grade. Focused on hip hop after high school/college (was writing rhymes for fun since elementary-boom bap is still my first love), rapped at some house shows and had a few cool moments, but nothing took off. Realized I just pissed away my 20s making poor decisions and hanging with fair weathered “friends”. Arrested multiple times, got into a gang of fights, burned bridges with good people and really just piled out.

Few years ago I was still working jobs I hated, and my cousin/best friend passed away during the pandemic (not due to COVID). So I said *******, auditioned to a pretty high caliber jazz program in Manhattan and got in with a small but meaningful scholarship. Did not expect that. Why pick me out of any 18 year old wiz kid? I was 30 at the time I felt old and washed and figured they’d take who can pay. Born and raised in LA county-one area code my whole life, my wife was pregnant at the time and she asked me if this is what I wanted. We both quit our jobs (she didn’t hate hers), drove from LA to NYC over 5 days in my Honda civic with her in the front seat and our dog and cat in the back seats.

First two years here were a weird but necessary combination of facing my own bullshit coupled with starting my family (my wife is the reason I’m still around-been going steady since we were 19 and she’s a lifesaver). I wanted and needed both to happen. Now I’m 33, just had my second daughter, and got two years left in the program. Sounds corny but NYC has really made me a man in more ways than one.

It’s halftime now, going to shed these next two years and see where it takes me. 10,000 hour rule. 6 hours a day, minimum. This music I can play forever. Not uncommon to see a 45 year old monster at a jazz jam/gig. I know a ton of cats on the scene here that are 40+, and those are the dudes that play on broadway and have the dopest gigs. Who wants to hear an 18 year old kid play the blues anyway. I can hear it but I can’t feel it.

We live pretty frugally and get by with what we got saved along with my side hustles for a few small businesses I work for out here. I got something lined up with family in LA that I will return to as it will be the most financially rewarding situation that is malleable enough for me to continue my pursuit of jazz piano. I know I could continue to hustle side gigs and find a higher paying regular job here after the programs done, but I want my girls to know and be around my family who are all back home in LA. Either way, I’m excited to see what happens here in NYC over the next two years, and definitely looking forward to solidifying this foundation.

Sorry for the block of text but I love music. I’m a firm believer that you get what you put into life. Some people aren’t lucky enough to choose what they want to do. But since I have the chance, I’m not letting it pass me by and I’m going for it. Only you can define what success in music is. You can make beats and get some placements, work on audio engineering and mix and master at a studio. There’s no rules, and there are ways.

Hope my story helps.

Good luck and Godspeed my friend.

dog129

Reaction score
I've a friend who did, who does rather well/successful - at least for a non-super famous musician - but it's quite the rarity.

outofstyles

Reaction score
"I’m a firm believer that you get what you put into life. Some people aren’t lucky enough to choose what they want to do. But since I have the chance, I’m not letting it pass me by and I’m going for it." I really like this. Like is taking risk and grabbing what makes you happy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads