• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An eBay case: I throw myself at the mercy of the SF jury

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooknGr8
Positive feedback overall.

In the "description" part of the feedback, I gave a "2," "inaccurate description." "3" is "Neither accurate nor inaccurate."

This is exactly the problem with DSR's in the first place. Any reasonable person would assume that in a 1-5 rating scale that giving someone, say, a 4 would still be very good. The problem is that under Ebay's draconian 'screw the seller' system anything less than a 5 star rating and that seller is penetrated from the backside, losing Top Rated Seller status and all discounts with them. This is exactly what Ebay wants so everyone doing what they "think" is the right thing is only playing into Ebay's diabolical plan to squeeze as much money out of the seller as they possibly can. It is the only business model I am familiar with where the company screws over the only customer they have, in this case the seller, at every chance they get.

In this case a "2" DSR is the equivelent of a negative feedback. A "2" for overesitmating the length is severely harsh. If the measurement had been 2 under, making tailoring impossible, then that would be understandable. All of that said, it does appear the OP did everything he could to try and rectify this after the fact. Sadly, most buyers will never learn what the OP did and will certainly never try to fix it after the fact. That Ebay would not assist the OP in correcting this in any way only proves my original point--Ebay wants buyers to give low DSR's to sellers so that sellers lose their discounts, period.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back in the days when I sold a lot of stuff on eFray I had a buyer go ballistic on me for giving him neutral feedback. The ****** waited three weeks to send me money, only after trying to talk me down from the price he'd already agreed to pay. Then he shorted me the shipping and handling fee.

Finally, he sent me a scathing email about how unfair it was of me to give him "neutral".

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Positive feedback overall. In the "description" part of the feedback, I gave a "2," "inaccurate description." "3" is "Neither accurate nor inaccurate." At the time, I felt justified, obviously you all changed my mind. The rest were "5" ratings.
Live and learn, you have my respect. Well done on showing ability to adapt and adjust oneself based on the perspective of others, that is a winning attitude. Humanity is better off when one is able to adapt towards an optimum global minimum. Now /thread

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
I like your thinking. People assume their time is free when they should place value on it.

Your time is free if you'd otherwise be spending it on SF or watching some **** drama on Showtime.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little bit of a digression, but lately I've had employees tell me that when their company will call me later on for feedback on their service, that anything less than a 5 is unacceptable and so they ask that I give them a 5 if I was happy with their service. I'm more than happy to play along with that game, but when the 1-5 scale has to be explained as really an all or nothing scale, it seems stupid and something that should be scrapped.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He apologised and offered a refund.

So why did you make a drama out of it and why on earth did you send them to be altered if you were going to complain?

You've dug a pretty deep hole and its time to move on.You are the one being unreasonable.

Next time, either don't buy second hand and certainly satisfy yourself about your purcahse before you commit further expense.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how fast the OP caved after being made fun of by a few forum members. Why dont you just stop posting in this thread and move on? You fucked up, lesson learned. You dont have to update everyone on your phone calls and current status. Not a lot of people here actually care if you get the negative feedback switched to positive.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
first off, you dont come off as that big of a douche until you altered the suit and gave him a negative rating. Always give them a week or so to make it right for you.

dirtyturk

Reaction score
would you go to a store, buy a suit, get home to realize it was the wrong size, pay to get it altered and then take it back to the shop?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I think the bigger problem is your longtime tailor ****** you $20 to hem pants. Even a legit Beverly Hills tailor who works on Kiton and Brionis day in/day out here doesn't charge that much.

I'd hate to know how much he charges new customers.

UncleCozy

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've traded with LookinGr8 and he's been super generous. I gained a lot more of the trade than he did, don't find genuine people like that too often.

I don't really see anything wrong in giving him a low DSR when it wasn't as described, I do that. If there's a minor snag or a stain that ruins the integrity of the item I will contact the seller for a potential partial refund, in the event of something really minor I will probably give them a four.

I bought a used Zegna cashmere sweater the other day, no piling mentioned but it did have some noticable piling. It wasn't worth arguing about so I gave the seller a four in the description. I bought a BB cashmere v-neck listed as used but in good condition, upon arrival it had several moth holes on both sleeve ends, it was wearable but I contacted the seller and he gave the amount of the shipping+sweater as credit in his store.

Also, keep it civilized. We're all gents after all!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ravi
Only losers buy from ebay amateurs. And don't buy used clothes or shoes. It's creepy and you'll get bedbugs.

facepalm.gif

Navi

Reaction score
All right, I'm back in.

Navi, it was much more innocent than that. More along the lines of, I was taking 3 items to tailor. And then it started grinding on me that I had to eat the seller's mistake.

Obviously, everyone here thinks I should have just sucked it up and not complained. Or returned it and stopped complaining sooner. Will do next time.

Fair enough! I see the error of my ways. I'm not pissed anymore at him. I'll even try to undo my feedback.

If y'all want to go epic on this -- have at it! The only thing missing is the actual seller, who probably will read this and start firing away. I'd deserve that, too...

(OBTW, Navi, you're in Mass...How bout them Bruins!!! I at least hope you were posting while watching the game.)

Yes, I posted in between periods....
lookaround.gif

Nah I usually have to watch the games after the fact, I work late and often so I'm rarely home in time to see them live. The games this year have been really great so far, though. Bruins better make me proud!

And at least for me, I posted before reading the whole thread. I read the OP but that was it. I'd wager that at least some others did as well.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
antondam