• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2024 Reading Challenge

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget 50 if you want, keep track of the books you read here.

This is a book thread where literati wax lyrical on the reading material they consume while attempting to read 50 books in the year (or whatever your goal might be).
Books are discussed, reviewed and recommended and occasionally condemned. Open to all.

blacklight

Reaction score
1) Starting the year off with Construção Brasileira: Arquitetura Moderna e Antiga 1652 - 1942, an English & Portuguese language monograph of the MOMA exhibit of the same name presented in 1943.

This one is a survey of major landmarks and moments in Brasilian architectural history, and touches a bit on how American architects' interest in what the Brasilians were doing became a vector for American political interests in Brasil and vice-versa.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Celine, by Peter Heller

A wealthy artist and part time private investigator is hired to investigate the disappearance, and presumed death by grizzly bear, of a young woman’s father some years earlier.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. The Last Of His Kind, by David Roberts

An autobiography of Bradford Washburn, who was among the finest mountaineers of his generation, and a pioneer of aerial photography of wilderness.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prophet Song by Paul Lynch

Winner of the 2023 Booker Prize. At first I thought it was going to Orwell revisited, but no. Much more attuned to the current wave of autocratic nativist strongman regimes but much darker.
Something is rotting in the state of Eire as the Party is subverting society in the name of freedom much more Hitlerian as opposed to Orwells dystopia.

Interesting stylisation in terms of writing and characterisation.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. Think Again: The Power Of Knowing What You Don’t Know, by Adam Grant

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4. Outdoor Kids In An Inside World, by Steven Rinella

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started the Alex Verus series at the end of last year and just finished it last night, so a total of 12 books over the past three months or so. I enjoyed them a lot, and my taste doesn't usually run toward the urban fantasy subgenre, but these hit for me.

Thanks to @venividivicibj for the recommendation.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started the Alex Verus series at the end of last year and just finished it last night, so a total of 12 books over the past three months or so. I enjoyed them a lot, and my taste doesn't usually run toward the urban fantasy subgenre, but these hit for me.

Thanks to @venividivicibj for the recommendation.
Have you read Harry Dresden? It’s what turned me on to Alex Verus.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you read Harry Dresden? It’s what turned me on to Alex Verus.
Tried a few times, but I always stall out partway into the first chapter of the first book. I know a lot of people really like them, but for whatever reason, I'm not hooked.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried a few times, but I always stall out partway into the first chapter of the first book. I know a lot of people really like them, but for whatever reason, I'm not hooked.
Fair enough. I do like how he incorporates multiple religions/mythologies (Norse/Christian/'traditional myths') - but you do have to like the semi-ridiculous plots

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5. Where The Falcon Flies, by Adam Shoalts

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6. 2034: A Novel Of The Next World War, by Elliot Ackerman and Admiral James Stabridis

US versus China, with a side of Iran vs Russia. This is a reasonably well written story, mercifully short on technical details.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7. Braiding Sweetgrass, by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8. All The Wild That Remains: Edward Abbey, Wallace Stegner, and The American West, by David Geissner

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads