• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat over suit?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized this morning that I look like an idiot in my building's elevator, wearing a wool overcoat and carrying my suit jacket on a hanger. My question is - when you drive, do you wear your overcoat over your suit jacket? I don't like to wear my suit jacket while driving, and I find that an overcoat just compounds the problems - suit gets wrinkled/misshapen, none of the collars sit naturally, everything is in the way of the seatbelt, etc. I just carry my jacket to work, and put on the jacket when I take off the coat (I usally then take off the jacket and hang it in my officer). I feel like I'm overthinking this, but thats what the style forum is for.

Phil

Reaction score
Why would you wear the overcoat while you drive? Do you drive an open aired horse buggy? Thats what the heater is for. Drive in your dress shirt. Its more comfortable, and then when you arrive, put on your suit jacket and overcoat.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear my suit jacket when driving. I can't stand to wear an overcoat either they both come off when i get in the car and both put back on when i get out. Now this is personal preferance but i have found that when you wear you suit jacket and drive it gets wrinkled and looks bad, but i'm driving and hour to work each day. I just can't stand the bulk of anything other than a shirt when driving.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you wear the overcoat while you drive?

Because it's cold. I don't live in the Northern Territories, but I'm in no position to doff my overcoat when I get in my car in the morning. About halfway through my 1/2 hour commute, my car gets to room temp. I'll suffer a little to stay presentable, but I need some functionality at 6:30am. When I own a new car/house with a garage, then I can get in in just my shirt and tie.

I've noticed some guys in my parking lot getting out of their cars with jacket and overcoat on, and wanted to make sure I wasn't nuts. I'll probably continue as is - overcoat on over shirt and tie, suit jacket safely on a hanger.

Phil

Reaction score
I live in CT, and its plenty cold. When I wake up, I go outside, and start my car. After I am dressed and ready to go, my car is very warm. Can you do that?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course I could, and sometimes do. But then I'd have to leave it running with my spare key in it so I could lock it, which is more trouble than it's worth, for me.

Phil

Reaction score
Then I guess you are wearing your overcoat while you drive. Make sure not to shut the door on the end of the coat. I see that every once in a while, and feel pretty bad for the person.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't wear an overcoat while driving. If it's cold, I just crank up the heat. My car tends to heat up quickly, anyway, so I don't suffer for long.

Wedge

Reaction score
Then I guess you are wearing your overcoat while you drive. Make sure not to shut the door on the end of the coat. I see that every once in a while, and feel pretty bad for the person.
I did that once and proceeded to drive to school down a dirt road. Coat was ruined.

joseanes

Reaction score
I live in CT, and its plenty cold. When I wake up, I go outside, and start my car. After I am dressed and ready to go, my car is very warm. Can you do that?
In Massachusetts it is unlawfull to idle the car for more than 5 minutes. Starting the car and then dressing up would be illegal and inmoral (destroying the enviroment).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I sometimes wear a heavy coat (pea coat, overcoat) and drive in winter with the window open. I like cold air in my face. I think I must have been a dog in a former life.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Georgia, park in a garage, have a heater, wear long sleeves, and keep my windows up....and I drove to work today wearing my overcoat form the door of the garage to the chair in my office, and by the way, it was only 39 degrees here this morning. DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO TO KEEP WARM.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I left my overcoat on my rack at home and drove to work in my shirt, because it is 75 and sunny out
smile.gif
<ducks>

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to live in Boston, and now I live in DC. I believe an overcoat is completely unnecessary. I wear one maybe once a year. During business hours, we live in a climate controlled world. I've found that those times that I am outside for extended periods in the winter I am almost always dressed casually.

So my best advice is simply to grow some balls and drive to work in your shirtsleeves. Hang your suit jacket on a hanger in the back seat. A little cold builds character and keeps you alert on the morning commute.

The one major exception to this would be NY city, where people don't drive to work.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little cold builds character

I grew up in Canada (though people who grew up in Winnipeg have more say than I do on this matter) and can vouch for this. Forget Kiton this and Costume National that. When it get's really cold (I'm talking -20 C and below) your favorite color becomes &quot;warm&quot; and your favorite garment becomes &quot;the warmest thing I've got&quot;. There is nothing like a Canadian winter.

BTW, I have less character than many of my compatriots because I grew up in relatively warm SE Ontario, and not on the Canadian Shield on in the northern prairies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads