• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kind of fat guy need advice for summer clothes.

Johnson

Reaction score
I am kind of fat guy, what is the best style of summer clothing for me (including shoes).

I dont like to dress like punk or wear sport clothes, i would've business suit or something like this, but i walk alot and sweat alot so i dont think this going to look good without car, which i dont have yet.

Thanks.

rherreid

Reaction score
I would recommend that you choose some other attribute of your life to base this on. If you choose your clothes based on what a "kind of fat guy" would wear then you'll feel and look like a "kind of fat guy" all day every day. There are worse things than being kind of fat, but I'm guessing there are some other things you have going for you that you're maybe a little more excited about. Maybe your job, school, or some other organization you are a part of. Maybe some activity you participate in.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about clothes to wear to the office? Social life? For running errands?

Generally:

1. Don't wear anything baggy or oversized. It'll make you look fatter. Tailored well-fitting clothing will look much better than slobwear. By the same token, don't wear clothes that are too tight. That'll also accentuate your size.

2. Wear pants at your natural waist. Lower rises will look sloppy. Look for fabrics that have some drape. Tropical wools, light weight cotton trousers, even linen. Darker colors are generally more slimming. Look for natural fibers.

3. Consider vertical stripes--nothing garish, but something moderate--and small patterns.

4. Wear good shoes. They make any outfit look much better.

5. Buy shirts with the right sleeve length. Have a tailor shorten them if necessary. Beware of no-iron fabrics. They generally don't breathe as well as the regular cottons.

6. Consider learning how to iron. Smoothly pressed clothes will look much better than anything rumpled.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little fat too and live in Washington, DC, which can be just a tad humid (read: hotter and stickier than hell some day).

My advice is two-fold:

1. Wear clothes that are appropriate to the situation (light-weight wool suits, linen/cotton suits, light trousers, etc.). Dress how you would like to dress.

2. Accept that you are going to sweat and deal with it in a dignified manner. I just realized I absolutely have to do this last week. My wife and I were going out for dinner at a really nice place immediately after work. I had to wear a suit. Granted it was a light-weight suit, but the day was 100+ degrees and very humid. I already sweat a lot, and I sweated every second I was outside that day. I carry an extra hankerchief with which to wipe my face. I ignore the rest.

As for Philosophe's advice: I would disagree with the dark vs light colors. The cut matters more, wearing vertical stripes rather than horizontal matters more, and the size of the check or print in a shirt (if any) matters more.

bob

Johnson

Reaction score
philosophe, right now i am 23 y.o. student and basically talking about clothing for social life. Thanks for advice, but it still does not explain what style i should choose? I dont mean i am willing to dress like fat guy, i just told to let you know that i have some limitations in wear e.g. can't wear shorts and white sleeveless shirt and go out like most men of my age, because will look as complete jerk. (Yeah its not nice to be fat.) I trying to build my style, lets say i want to look mature and want to have solid respectable look, i want to look as business men (which i going to become soon), but don't want formal wear (e.g. suit with tie), though i can wear unformal suit unless it will bring to much attention to me when i walking outside because i dont have car yet and place i live in is small town and most people stupid jerks here..., also i dont like to dress like most youngsters, sport type of clothing or some hippy clothing etc. Give me style advice please.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Wanna learn more about Knit hats"
I trying to build database of men's clothes for my private use, spent about week doing it...
Here is page concerning hats, i trying to put there every peace of clothing that you can wear on head except religious, national, out of use stuff and safety gear (e.g. helmet). But now i feel like in dead end with all that multitude of knitted hats...
"Pocket Clip"
I cant memorize the name of this gadget, its function is to hold things in your dress shirt's pocket , it looks like money clip, but thiner. Someone remember correct name because i think it i'snt pocket clip.
"Sweat Shirt"
I think i seen some years ago on TV some guy were wearing shirt with rounded leather material just under armpits, i am curious now is there such stuff?

"Belts + Suspenders"
Umm kind of curious can one wear belt and suspenders together or will this look stupid?

I kind of get this idea after seeing this picture, but since this guy used to play marsupials alot i am not so sure if this good idea.

"Shining socks"
Bought pair of socks yesterday, they made of something like 90% cotton and 10% polyester, they stretch just fine lot better than (100% cotton socks), but they do have one defect - they shine when light falls on them, like they where sprayed with women shining hair spray. I don't appreciate socks that make me look like gay.
plain.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, he certainly won't have to worry about socks "making him look gay." Being "kind of fat" and having admittedly poor style will keep most of the pink-flock from getting too close.

Good God, grow up.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnson
I dont mean i am willing to dress like fat guy, i just told to let you know that i have some limitations in wear e.g. can't wear shorts and white sleeveless shirt and go out like most men of my age, because will look as complete jerk. (Yeah its not nice to be fat.)

Why can't you wear shorts? As far as white sleeveless shirts are concerned, anybody that wears these looks like a jerk - so, don't chalk up looking like a jerk to being overweight.

Johnson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I carry an extra hankerchief with which to wipe my face. I ignore the rest.
I usually wear pack of 10 paper napkins to wipe my face and this is not enough for me, i sweat like hell.
Originally Posted by rdawson808
The cut...
wearing vertical stripes rather than horizontal ...
the size of the check

Sorry english not my native language, what this means...
P.S. Havent ever seen horizantal stripes, besides i hate to wear clothes that got stripes at all.

CoryB

Reaction score
Hoff I don't know where you got that post from or exactly how it is related, but I found it hilarious.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Khaki shorts, various summer trousers, and decent fitting polo shirts and button-down oxfords in solid colors or vertical stripes. Next!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
Hoff I don't know where you got that post from or exactly how it is related, but I found it hilarious.

Those are all quotations from Johnson's other posts...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads