• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kenneth Cole really that bad?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
I've read through some threads and seen some not so flattering
reports regarding Kenneth Cole, and their build quality, mass production,
and overall overcommercialized appeal.

I would have to agree for the most part. However, I've found some
Kenneth Cole New York pieces that aren't too terrible.

I have a couple of KCNY leather carry bags, and they seem quite sturdy and good in build. I do also own hartmanns too but that's here nor there.

My point was on KCNY. I recently looked at a greyish brown 3 button
from KCNY and it was on sale for 199. I know it's a "bonded" suit, but the feel was very thin, and though slightly stiff, I thought at 199..and how it fit on me, wouldn't be too bad.

Honestly the 199 would not hurt my funds to get a nicer RTW in the Kiton range, so i thought it wouldn't hurt to have an everyday suit such as that KCNY one.

What would be your opinions on this?

Regards.

HB

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
teacha.gif
You can get a much better suit and shoes for that price. But I am curious: how is the quality of the bags?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
teacha.gif
You can get a much better suit and shoes for that price.

But I am curious: how is the quality of the bags?

The bags are a smoothed, soft leather. I have a tan leather bag, and also the black one. the black is a smaller shoulder carry, and the tan is a sturdier laptop carry.

The KC Reaction series bags are a bit cheaper in quality, but the KC New York series is their top of the line, and look great and I am happy to bring them to work.

What suits could I get at a better price for 199?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This may get me banned, but the clothes are not that bad especially on discount. The suit fabric feels decent if flimsy, the construction is probably exactly the same as Target or H&M or any other fused suit, and the styling (at least what I've seen) is not too out there. Nothing special either, though. Their shirts aren't bad either, again on discount. I still have one from like 1997 that I wear occasionally. If you make sure to stick to natural fabrics since ol' Ken loves to make things out of polyester and lycra and such, the stuff is pretty decent.

And the bags are not too bad either, as long as they leave the name off. Some of them seem well designed and I've heard of people using them for a long time. I've never bought one myself but they are always at Marshalls for ~$60-100 or so.

Just stay away from the shoes. I've seen a couple exceptions, but for the most part (99%) they are awful and way overpriced.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
The bags are a smoothed, soft leather. I have a tan leather bag, and also the black one. the black is a smaller shoulder carry, and the tan is a sturdier laptop carry.

The KC Reaction series bags are a bit cheaper in quality, but the KC New York series is their top of the line, and look great and I am happy to bring them to work.

What suits could I get at a better price for 199?

If you are talking about getting a RTW Kiton and then an everyday $199 suit why not just take the budget and get 2-3 good suits. I cant see wearing a Kiton one day then a KCNY
bounce2.gif

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
This may get me banned, but the clothes are not that bad especially on discount. The suit fabric feels decent if flimsy, the construction is probably exactly the same as Target or H&M or any other fused suit, and the styling (at least what I've seen) is not too out there. Nothing special either, though. Their shirts aren't bad either, again on discount. I still have one from like 1997 that I wear occasionally. If you make sure to stick to natural fabrics since ol' Ken loves to make things out of polyester and lycra and such, the stuff is pretty decent.

And the bags are not too bad either, as long as they leave the name off. Some of them seem well designed and I've heard of people using them for a long time. I've never bought one myself but they are always at Marshalls for ~$60-100 or so.

Just stay away from the shoes. I've seen a couple exceptions, but for the most part (99%) they are awful and way overpriced.

Totally agree on the shoes. I wouldn't touch their shoes. My bro-in-law is a pharmacist and lives/breathes Kenneth Cole, so it's a touchy topic =)

I don't have a light grey summer suit, and just thought at 199, it wouldn't hurt to get one and it wouldn't hurt my budget for a pricier RTW or bespoke down the road.

Really the bags are only seen at Marshalls? I see them all the time in Los Angeles at the higher end dept stores(the bags), but I guess I never saw anyone buy them =)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't look at the bags at department stores but I guess they must be sold there... I just see them because they are near the socks and shirts at Marshalls which I often check if I'm in the neighborhood and killing time.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember buying KC pants online that were advertised as "slim fit, tapered". They were some khakis that had been reduced to $22 on macys.com. I figured "yeah, wht the hell, at some point I'll need at leat one pair of khakis, and the price is right." When they arrived the leg opening measured 9.75 in. across.
eek.gif

vanity

Reaction score
I've had positive experiences with KC shoes but none of their apparel. $80 pants (2 pairs) that literally fell apart at the seams after 3 months. I had to throw them away.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had one pair of the mainline Kenneth Cole shoes back in college. They were actually reasonably good shoes--full grain leather, heavy lug sole, and even a rounded toe when duck-bills were becoming the rage. I tossed them after three solid years of wear. The most recent iterations of KC, however, look like complete garbage at about a 40% price premium from what I used to pay.

The ready-to-wear clothing is on par with the rest of the subcontracted Far East crap (CK, 4You, A/X, Tommy, etc.). I do not find KC any worse than the above brands, but I would hardly spend my money on ANY additional KC purchases. FWIW, I still have a short sleeve casual shirt and black linen pants that make it into the rotation a few times a year.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in a KC store on 42nd at Grand central station.

The clothing was awful at full price. I mean it was really bad. Now on sale at less then half price it is almost acceptable. Being in the industry, I know what they are paying to have this clothing produced. REally, the margins are obscene.

Yes, the suit is not bad at $199. at $500 stay away.

Carl

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think KC mainline shoes are not of horrendous quality as long as the styling is not amjack. The Reaction stuff, though...

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i own a few kc clothing items, they lasted me quite awhle and are not that bad.
a few shirts, a coat, and some pants.
not bad at all
their shoes however are not shoes.
they are monsters.

Was that a haiku?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads