• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_4836.jpeg
The vertical lines of the sleeves are pitched outward. Technically, is it possible to make sleeve vertical lines parallel to the lines of the jacket body? or it is fine as is?

Last edited:

SteveMc

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to reduce trousers rise?
I know it is counter what most people on this forum are after but still...
I don't mean removing fabric from the waist band area, what I mean is reducing fabric from the crotch so that the crotch seam is higher up if you will.
Is that a possible alteration?

vim147

Reaction score
Does anyone get their off the shelf shirts altered ?
I have a few Ralf Lauren shirts which could do with sliming down from body & sleeves.
Would you get them just single stitched or would you get them tailored for double stitchig like the original ?

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
IMG_0322.jpeg
Thoughts on the length of these trousers? Certainly shorter than what I am used to but not sure if I should have them let out a little. Photos with both loafers and oxfords to illustrate:

IMG_0258.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 32

paxonus

Reaction score
View attachment 2188925 Thoughts on the length of these trousers? Certainly shorter than what I am used to but not sure if I should have them let out a little. Photos with both loafers and oxfords to illustrate:

View attachment 2188923
Too short for me. The problem is that the hem width won't allow them to be much longer without bunching up in front. You can't get a proper break with less than about an 8 inch hem. At that width you can get the length down to around the middle of the the laces and still have only a quarter break. It also covers your socks.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too short for me. The problem is that the hem width won't allow them to be much longer without bunching up in front. You can't get a proper break with less than about an 8 inch hem. At that width you can get the length down to around the middle of the the laces and still have only a quarter break. It also covers your socks.

Precisely my thought. The problem originates in the fact that most contemporary trousers are too narrow and consequently unsuitable for a proper break, therefore being hemmed too short.

BforEffort

Reaction score
Ahead of my next mtm shirt order I am hoping for some feedback on the last round. What if anything would you change here?

Attachments

• PXL_20240520_122824111.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240520_122824111.MP.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240520_122820957.jpg
    PXL_20240520_122820957.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240520_122833726.jpg
    PXL_20240520_122833726.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240520_122827830.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240520_122827830.MP.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 99

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my cashmere overcoat has a couple small nicks in the R shoulder. Is this repairable or am I out of luck. Thanks!
I suspect it’s repairable. But ask a tailor who you have a relationship to take a look at it. I wouldn’t trust it to just anyone

twuthetiger

Reaction score
I suspect it’s repairable. But ask a tailor who you have a relationship to take a look at it. I wouldn’t trust it to just anyone
Yeah I was thinking about using like either an invisible darning or if anything some sort of small frogging over it. The challenging part is finding the right person to do this. Boston doesn't really have good access to much tailors.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about using like either an invisible darning or if anything some sort of small frogging over it. The challenging part is finding the right person to do this. Boston doesn't really have good access to much tailors.
For some reason, I thought you were in England.

You might want to send the photo to will field in Washington DC. Great guy & ask him if he can fix it.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight as to the wave at the hem of the back of this jacket?

My understanding has led me to believe it's short back balance, however I'm now wondering if it's perhaps something else. Possibly the bottom hem being too wide, or even there being an unusually large amount of centre-back seam allowance (about 3.5cm for each side, both pressed over to one side)?

It has the short balance wave, but doesn't feel like it's pulling up or anything, or away from my back side. The lighting/photos make the lines look worse than they are. I've seen similar in Simon Crompton's suit here https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/07/kenjiro-suzuki-bespoke-paris-review.html, although that is cotton and this is a lightweight Fresco.

Back.jpeg Turn2.jpeg Turn1.jpeg Side2.jpeg Side1.jpeg Front.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member