• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Jay C

Reaction score
Suspenders are underwear.

Lighten up Earl of Grantham.

I doubt folks are shelling out $$$$ for those Moire formal braces on the assumption that they will only be seen by the same group of people who will see your tightie whiteys.

The Mrs. thinks I look downright Bond-like with my very cool cream-on-white woven geometric runner end tux suspenders. Tons of compliments. I don't think any of those complimenters are farmers -- well, except for the ones who have horse farms...

Totally agree with Jeremy (except my jacket leaves with the opening cords of Uptown Funk).

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like, let's be honest here, folks.

Could this look better? Sure!

Does this look BAD? C'monnnnnnnn

IMG_1081.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we are talking about nerdy looks - exposed suspenders scream nerd to me far more than anything else we are discussing here. When I think of a guy in exposed suspenders I think of like..... someone who thinks its cool to look like a bartender circa 2005. Its a very "Milady" look.

A more important question - does a tux or suit look bad without a tie or bow tie?

I would posit the answer to this is an unequivocable YES.

Lets not even delve into Black Tie Sans Tie. Its in the freaking name. Wear a tie with a tux.

Now...a suit. A suit without a tie (or ascot, or scarf, or some form of neckwear), looks pretty damn boring and orphaned to me. This is a very "poorly dressed bankers before they discovered Patagonia and walnut Allen Edmonds" look.

I cannot conceive of a situation in which I would wear a suit without a tie.

I think a sport coat and trousers can be worn without a tie (though needs a square or else its criminally dull). If one does not want to wear a tie, there are many, many outfits to wear. A suit is not one of them.

I think its very funny that people keep coming back to some weird, attempted semi-dig that boils down to, "If you think people should dress properly or keep their tie on, you must be some anti social nerd that's no fun and no one likes." This particular line of thought is weird to me. Its simultaneously insanely self-conscious while also being judgmental in a faux casual sort of way.

I mean, if you're going to judge someone for having an undone bow tie at an event where you're dancing/drinking/having fun, even if keeping it confined to your internal discourse (one hopes lol), that's just extremely lame and weird, in my opinion. Not remotely in line with what I'd consider fun/a fun hang.

Well, technically it's not black tie! That's beyond nerdy to me, and I sincerely cannot conceive somebody saying that with a straight face.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael is a very genial and good looking guy.

I do not think this is a great outfit.
Yaaaaa, I just don't believe that, and think you're sticking to dogma for the sake of it. But, by all means, if it's the truth, carry on with your bad self :cheers:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yaaaaa, I just don't believe that, and think you're sticking to dogma for the sake of it. But, by all means, if it's the truth, carry on with your bad self :cheers:

I really don't. I think that's a nice picture. He's got a nice smile and it's a welcoming pose.
I think you (and probably many) like the language the picture is speaking.

But its not an outfit I would wear and I don't think suits look good without ties.

Suits without ties are simultaneously boring and incoherent.

Butler

Reaction score
My two cents on suits sans tie:
Leaving etiquette aside (which as Andy alllues - is not easy for me😊)
I believe that suits simply look off sans tie - like something is missing - never mind how well tailored they may be, or how athletic the wearer is. The same thing goes for coats without pocket squares, looks odd!

Sports jackets sans ties,however, are not a problem at all IMO!

The Black Tie is a separate discussion - but choosing the right cloth and wearing a backless waistcoat, will alleviate some of the climatic conditions - just saying😉

jeremygo

Reaction score
My rule of thumb is once the lights go up, the tie gets undone Sinatra-style to show the plebs that I can tie an actual bow tie...
Usually I've already been called into many rooms in the hotel wedding block before the ceremony to show my friends how to tie their bowties ;) doing my best to secure my "dad" of the group status

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually I've already been called into many rooms in the hotel wedding block before the ceremony to show my friends how to tie their bowties ;) doing my best to secure my "dad" of the group status
At wedding this past weekend, I tied the groom's tie for him.... was slightly awkward, photographer wanted a picture of him tying it, and the best man (not me) adjusting it, so they acted that out.... then after pics were taken, I stepped in, and tied it.

While waiting for the photographer, I got to know some of the groomsmen, which resulted in this pic later in the evening.

image_1.jpeg

Last edited:

symphvaria

Reaction score
Like, let's be honest here, folks.

Could this look better? Sure!

Does this look BAD? C'monnnnnnnn

View attachment 2187965
I think the bigger problem with this outfit is less that it’s necessarily a suit without a tie, and moreso that it’s a suit with plain white dress shirt without a tie. Substituting the white spread collar shirt with some sort of patterned OCBD would make the tieless look a lot more palatable, at least to me. Helps bring it down a notch formality wise.

Jay C

Reaction score
New question.

I've heard some say that you should not wear the WDJ to a black tie wedding. At least if you are only a regular uest. Because only the bride should wear white.

Thoughts?

Amidé

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New question.

I've heard some say that you should not wear the WDJ to a black tie wedding. At least if you are only a regular uest. Because only the bride should wear white.

Thoughts?
Traditionally I believe it’s frowned upon when women wear white to a wedding because they might get mistaken for the bride.
Expanding on this I wouldn’t have a problem wearing a white dinner jacket to a wedding if the regular conditions for wearing such a jacket were met (warm weather, after 6pm, etc.). I’m quite sure nobody would be mistaking me for the bride, not even in a white dinner jacket.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New question.

Thoughts?

Traditionally I believe it’s frowned upon when women wear white to a wedding because they might get mistaken for the bride.
Expanding on this I wouldn’t have a problem wearing a white dinner jacket to a wedding if the regular conditions for wearing such a jacket were met (warm weather, after 6pm, etc.). I’m quite sure nobody would be mistaking me for the bride, not even in a white dinner jacket.
I am 100% with @Amidé on this. If all other prerequisites are met (black tie event, or black tie optional, after six, warm weather) wear a white DJ. Was at a wedding this past weekend that I almost wore a white DJ, but the weather didn't cooperate. (late May, in DC... could have easily been hot and humid=white DJ, but weather turned cool and rainy, so black it was)

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger problem with this outfit is less that it’s necessarily a suit without a tie, and moreso that it’s a suit with plain white dress shirt without a tie. Substituting the white spread collar shirt with some sort of patterned OCBD would make the tieless look a lot more palatable, at least to me. Helps bring it down a notch formality wise.
I don't disagree, but you're NEVER going to convince me a) that it looks bad or b) a suit sans tie will ALWAYS look bad.

That sentiment, particularly the latter, is ludicrous, and genuinely strains credulity that one truly believes it.

I'm 10000000% on board with the POV that it could be better (suit w/tie DOES look better!), but the always awful sentiment is just wacky.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzzsssgy