• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

JTMD

Reaction score
Full strap tassel loafers in black shell cordovan. Not a big fan of black shoes but couldn't resist at the clearance price. I also have their brothers in #8 .which were purchased the day before. After a restless night of "why didn't I get the black too", I was back before they opened for the day with hope in my heart and my credit card in hand.....though I bet that I'm not the only one here that has done such..😅

20240413_081420.jpg
20240413_081337.jpg
20240322_140625.jpg
20240322_140616.jpg
20240322_140600.jpg

chrfi

Reaction score
Not so pristine looking shoes, about eight years old Alden CXL dovers with the flexsoles. Dusty, but in good shape, the CXL has some serious creases, but that give character to these shoes and I don't mind it. CXL is so flexible, that they are a bit roomy in my usual size and that might have affected the creasing. Dovers with the flexsole are my favorite Alden shoes, I have three pairs in different leathers.

Qi8yroa.jpg

tuna roll

Reaction score
Quick question on the Aberdeen last - do you use the same size for lace-ups and loafers?

I recently tried the NST (Aberdeen) and a 8.5E fits me well. A 9D also works but with more heel slipping, which could be an issue with loafers. I’m considering the full strap loafers and thinking 8.5E.

For reference, I’m a size 8.5E on Leydon and 8E on Van / Barrie / TB.

thanks!

Weldy

Reaction score
Stopped by The Shoe Mart today. Wanted to check out one of their seconds that they just got in. Turns out it wasn’t in store but instead at their warehouse and would have to buy it online to see it.. oh well. Met a gentleman that drove from Delaware to buy a specific shoemart makeup which was cool and they were his first Aldens.

Awesome store if you get a chance to check it out:

IMG_4381.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother and I took Mom to the movies to watch "Civil War" which was actually really good. Was better than I expected. Viewed it at the Tanforan Cinema which is probably the only thing keeping the mall open.

Some people may remember, but a long time ago, Tanforan was a horse racetrack. During WWII, they used it as a round-up point for the Japanese Americans. My grandparents were among those who were brought here.

There is a memorial site dedicated to those interned during the war and my mother showed my brother and I the bricks she had dedicated to my Grandma and Grandpa.
1000010612.jpg

After the movie, I stopped by Brogue to chat with Mack and catch up on future make-ups. Tried on a TruBalance Indy in a normal D width since I was wearing thick wool Chup socks, but found it still was a little wide and that I will continue with C widths for TB.

One of those future make-ups arrived and he presented it to me in a special wooden box. I'm not allowed to share what was inside, but these Aldens are VERY special! These are to commemorate Brogue's 9th Anniversary.
1000010618.jpg

1000010620.jpg

Finally, be on the lookout for a special collab make-up! Not sure what we'll call it, but those who know me may have some idea of the specs. From the sounds of it, they're already in production!

Webbo

Reaction score
Over in the states now from the UK for work and wondered if there are any Alden stockists in San Antonio TX?

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Over in the states now from the UK for work and wondered if there are any Alden stockists in San Antonio TX?
Satel’s on Broadway had a small selection last I checked.

There’s also a stockist in Austin but they have a very limited selected too when I inquired.

DG123

Reaction score
By "stocklist" do you mean a current inventory of available sizes and widths?
The only retail store I know of who has that on their website is the store in San Francisco owned by Alden:

gnu

Reaction score
Are there any good online cobblers for getting a topy on? Have a couple of Aldens and other shoes I'd like to get a topy placed over the leather sole. Working in the hospital I prefer the extra grip. The guy I went to here in my small midwestern city did a decent job on one of my pairs, but he took 10 weeks. I'd rather pay a little more and get them all done a little quicker.

Webbo

Reaction score
By "stocklist" do you mean a current inventory of available sizes and widths?
The only retail store I know of who has that on their website is the store in San Francisco owned by Alden:

Was hoping to try some Cordovan LHS in 11D to compare with the 10.5 E I have where my toe is too close to the end in one shoe.sadly looks like San Ant is an Alden free zone

rdaws

Reaction score
I have finally worn my Alden LHS in #8 out (the vamp is starting to split, so I think this is a replacement situation), and so I’m getting ready to buy a replacement pair of the #8 plus a pair in black cordovan. I’d also really like pairs in Whiskey and #4, though.

How tough is it to get the rare shell models? I haven’t seen them for sale anywhere, and I’ve been shopping for about 6 months. I hear you need a relationship to get them; does it make sense to direct my purchases to a retailer that gives me a shot at buying the other colors? If so, which retailer and how would I go about making that interest known? I’d rather not buy from a flipper and I really would prefer to buy from a shop that is interested in a longer term relationship.

Franky

Reaction score
I have finally worn my Alden LHS in #8 out (the vamp is starting to split, so I think this is a replacement situation), and so I’m getting ready to buy a replacement pair of the #8 plus a pair in black cordovan. I’d also really like pairs in Whiskey and #4, though.

How tough is it to get the rare shell models? I haven’t seen them for sale anywhere, and I’ve been shopping for about 6 months. I hear you need a relationship to get them; does it make sense to direct my purchases to a retailer that gives me a shot at buying the other colors? If so, which retailer and how would I go about making that interest known? I’d rather not buy from a flipper and I really would prefer to buy from a shop that is interested in a longer term relationship.

Imo the rare shell loafers are one of the hardest to get because most retailers make boots instead. I’ve given up on getting a rare shell loafer (LHS or tassel) anytime soon and just enjoy my suede and c8 pairs.

rdaws

Reaction score
Imo the rare shell loafers are one of the hardest to get because most retailers make boots instead. I’ve given up on getting a rare shell loafer (LHS or tassel) anytime soon and just enjoy my suede and c8 pairs.

I know they’re hard, but I know they exist! So, it can’t be impossible. Hopefully someone can offer advice as to how it can happen! If it takes being on a waiting list for 2 years that’s fine, I’m not in a hurry. I just don’t know if anybody keeps a list.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenncoke