• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zuckerberg's Hoodie and what your clothing says about what you think of those around you

urfloormatt

Reaction score
Personally, I think he is an immature twat who has the single most punchable face in Silicon Valley. He won the lottery and to say that he's on the same level as Jobs, regardless of potential net worth is outlandish. He started something that took on a life of its own while Jobs was always involved and carefully steering the company exactly as he saw fit.
An excellent point. Jobs brought Apple to the top of the computing industry _twice_ and created probably a half dozen iconic tech products along the way. He's earned his stripes.

Zuckerburg owns one service that virtually no one likes, cheated his partners out of their share to ensure his own wealth, and has done nothing worthwhile since he created it.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An excellent point.  Jobs brought Apple to the top of the computing industry _twice_ and created probably a half dozen iconic tech products along the way.  He's earned his stripes.

Zuckerburg owns one service that virtually no one likes, cheated his partners out of their share to ensure his own wealth, and has done nothing worthwhile since he created it.

So I guess Facebook's 800 million users are grudgingly using it every day?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Analytics. It's not just advertizing, though they can give advertisers a lot of unique feedback and engage target audiences in new ways. But they're working on ways to figure out and predict trends in just about everything. How much money is it worth to a movie studio if a company can tell them exactly what plot and setting is going to bring in the best response from very targeted demographics? Now what if you can even tell them what soundtrack is going to make them more likely to buy the item you're focusing product placement around?
On the other end of that, what if you could buy information telling you exactly what demographics are using the product you make? For example, take the thinkpad. Very popular among the predictable set: businesspeople, institutional clients and whatnot. Lenovo, doing traditional market research, sees that the typical client is a business buying computers for their office setting, keeping them 2-3 years.
But say you have a website that attracts a huge portion of the global population, and you can log the exact model of computer that visits, the OS they're using, what browser... All of a sudden, you have a near perfect picture of what the product you've put out there is doing. You can see every 6 year old thinkpad (like one of mine) beating around out there, see exactly who's using it in terms of lifestyle, income, values, interests, and you can see what software the user has running, you can see if they've upgraded the OS, you may even be able to see if any of the system internals have been replaced with a friendly bit of spyware or two.
They're gathering far more information on you than just what colors you like and what your hobbies are. They're gathering a lot of data that isn't particularly interesting to you, nor particularly sensitive, but that companies may very well pay out the nose for. They're still working on gearing that side of the business up, and that's why people are betting on them.

The problem with Facebook is it is still in the ****** display advertising business like AOL and Yahoo.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An excellent point. Jobs brought Apple to the top of the computing industry _twice_ and created probably a half dozen iconic tech products along the way. He's earned his stripes.

That would be an overstatement. Most of his founding team members are all mega millionaires despite a huge fallout in 2008 after Sheryl Sandberg took over the operations.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to the "...what your clothing says..." conversation, I would like to add an observation about my work environment.

It appears most men at my job fail to achive even the most basic established dress code of "business casual". It would indicate to me that 1) They are "keeping it real" (AKA, not giving a f@ck). Or 2) They are woefully lacking in the ability to understand a simple dress code.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i bet Zuck wishes he discovered Styleforum in college. then he would be dressing better than the Wall Street suits and creating new biz models to maximize his sales on B&S, instead of this "face book" garbage

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the hoodie has anything to do with the failure of the IPO in a causal sense, rather both are symptoms of the fact that this just isn't a guy to put that much money behind. Our group on SF saw this when we saw the hoodie while investors saw this once the stock came out. From now on, with every anticipated IPO I want to see a picture of the CEO of the company at the pre-IPO meeting to decide if I want to long or short the stock.

Reaction score
I think most people would agree that a hoodie probably wasn't the best choice of clothing. But then again the people who work at Facebook aren't most people and who are any of us to decide what's right for any of them to wear?

Taken from ABC News:

All Facebook employees are stock holders, Mitchell told Weir. So why isn’t he out buying a Ferrari?

“It’s not the company culture to go out and celebrate this type of stuff,” Mitchell said. “The culture of the company is very much of not showing off money, not being ostentatious but instead, really just making good products, and that comes from the top.”

Is it more important for Zuckerburg to impress "the people" by suiting up or to show the employees who built Facebook that even though they're all rich, its still important to remain grounded?

Zuckerburg has never been a suit and tie guy and has always remained one of the wealthiest men even before Facebook went public, so why change now?

However you didn't see him wearing a hoodie when he got married, the same week Facebook went public, did you? Yes, the undone top button and jacket were sloppy but he did make somewhat of an effort and suited up.

I'd say he has his priorities pretty well in check. A happy wife is a happy life and grounded employees are one of the keys to running a successful business.

atila

Reaction score
Hilarious to see several people trying to connect him wearing a hoodie as to why the stock has dropped the last two days. Instead of, you know, J.P. Morgan getting investigated for their underwriting of the Facebook IPO that has been under MAJOR scrutiny. It is valued at $28-31 and that is where it should have opened up to begin with.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think most people would agree that a hoodie probably wasn't the best choice of clothing. But then again the people who work at Facebook aren't most people and who are any of us to decide what's right for any of them to wear?

Taken from ABC News:

All Facebook employees are stock holders, Mitchell told Weir. So why isn’t he out buying a Ferrari?

“It’s not the company culture to go out and celebrate this type of stuff,” Mitchell said. “The culture of the company is very much of not showing off money, not being ostentatious but instead, really just making good products, and that comes from the top.”

Is it more important for Zuckerburg to impress "the people" by suiting up or to show the employees who built Facebook that even though they're all rich, its still important to remain grounded?

Zuckerburg has never been a suit and tie guy and has always remained one of the wealthiest men even before Facebook went public, so why change now?

However you didn't see him wearing a hoodie when he got married, the same week Facebook went public, did you? Yes, the undone top button and jacket were sloppy but he did make somewhat of an effort and suited up.

I'd say he has his priorities pretty well in check. A happy wife is a happy life and grounded employees are one of the keys to running a successful business.

Maybe he needs one of those slingshots made by that lost tribe of emos recently discovered in the Sierra Nevada.

http://www.petalumasupplyco.com/collections/just-in/products/wooden-slingshot

Last edited:
Reaction score
Possibly haha. I think it may have been the Miwok Tribe, although it's hard to tell at this point. I bet they're somewhere on Facebook.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hilarious to see several people trying to connect him wearing a hoodie as to why the stock has dropped the last two days. Instead of, you know, J.P. Morgan getting investigated for their underwriting of the Facebook IPO that has been under MAJOR scrutiny. It is valued at $28-31 and that is where it should have opened up to begin with.

Except it was Morgan Stanley that was lead left on the Facebook IPO, not JPM...

duggyald

Reaction score
i bet Zuck wishes he discovered Styleforum in college. then he would be dressing better than the Wall Street suits and creating new biz models to maximize his sales on B&S, instead of this "face book" garbage

So true.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Zuckerberg is the kind of guy who doesn't need to suit up for work. He never attempted to be stylish then, why bother now? Even his wedding attire was understated. Maybe he just didn't need to flaunt all his wealth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads