• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zimmerli, no longer made in Switzerland?

ezev

Reaction score
You have obviously never felt Sea Island or Giza 70 cotton underwear. Some individuals recognise luxury, others post juvenile snowflake face palm memes.

mud on the tires is mud on the tires

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People here spend $5,000 on suits, $1,000 on trousers, $1,500 on shoes, and $130 on pocket squares. They have multiples of these things to fill a whole wardrobe. I've seen people post photos of their closet where they have over a hundred GYW shoes. I realize that expensive underwear sounds crazy, but I'm also surprised that this crossed the line for some people.

emptym

Reaction score
^I figured you'd like Derek Rose.

Actually, I have some Derek Rose stuff and like it a lot. Bought cheap(ish) at Barneys' going out of business sale. Before that, I had some Paul Stuart stuff from one of their Sofie Haskins sales. And before that, Lands' End, Costco, Jockey, Mervyns, Hanes, JC Penny, Fruit of the Loom. Never tried Tommy Johns, but I like Saxx a bit. @michaeljkrell made great stuff. Under Armour's recovery boxer briefs are the best performance undies I've tried. For boxers, I prefer Linoto. Imo, the Derek Rose or Paul Stuart stuff is about twice as good as Lands' End or better Jockey stuff, which is better than Costco, etc. But I'm fine w/ Costco, Hanes, etc.

I've only ever had a few Zimmerli things. The first ones were bought from Sierra Trading Post back in the early/mid 90s, and then a couple things from the Barney's sale. In my limited exp., the older stuff was nicer than the newer stuff. Maybe the older stuff was Sea Island. The newer isn't.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Actually, I have some Derek Rose stuff and like it a lot. Bought cheap(ish) at Barneys' going out of business sale. Before that, I had some Paul Smith stuff from one of their Sofie Haskins sales. And before that, Lands' End, Costco, Jockey, Mervyns, Hanes, JC Penny, Fruit of the Loom. Never tried Tommy Johns, but I like Saxx a bit. @michaeljkrell made great stuff. Under Armour's recovery boxer briefs are the best performance undies I've tried. For boxers, I prefer Linoto. Imo, the Derek Rose or Paul Stuart stuff is about twice as good as Lands' End or better Jockey stuff, which is better than Costco, etc. But I'm fine w/ Costco, Hanes, etc.

I've only ever had a few Zimmerli things. The first ones were bought from Sierra Trading Post back in the early/mid 90s, and then a couple things from the Barney's sale. In my limited exp., the older stuff was nicer than the newer stuff. Maybe the older stuff was Sea Island. The newer isn't.

Haven't tried Derek Rose, but have heard good things (at least about their non-diffusion line).

A long time ago, I bought a bunch of boxer briefs from a few high-end companies, just to see what's out there. Included was a pair of SIC Zim boxer briefs I found on sale at Mr. Porter. I can't remember what I paid -- it was much less than $150, but more than I would ever admit in public. When they arrived, I was so amazed at how they feel, I looked around for some more. But I was only willing to pay the sale price and wasn't able to find anything on sale.

Ended up buying some more affordable versions of Zim off ASW's website before they closed. Those were just OK.

Eventually found Tommy John's micro-modal blends (the Second Skin model). Over time, I've just switched over to those. Don't really have any criticism of them. They're super breathable, keep you dry, and hold up well in the wash. The design has a little pouch for your junk, which some Zims don't. I think they retail for $30, but if you wait until Black Friday or Christmas, they usually do some sale where you can nab them for about $22.

The SIC Zims were truly amazing, but the fibers are very fine and I find they lose their softness over time. I don't think I would ever pay $150, even having experienced them. But if they were on deep discount, I might. The thing is: underwear isn't returnable, and Zims line is so large, I'd be hesitant buying another pair given my so-so experiences with their other products.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dieworkwear said:
I'm not that surprised that Kabbaz hypes them up since he has a huge stock of the stuff. To be honest, I take his comments with a grain of salt

Agreed.
Many claims about the items sold on his site are best in the world.
It not always true.

It look like Zimmerli quality control very bad now.
Know how is gone.
Clothing shrink etc.

Kabbaz say Bresciani underwear best in world,
but how he know this?

Many good things gone now.
New sunspel not compare to old made in england sunspel.

Is Bresciani underwear very good?
Worth it?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I have some Derek Rose stuff and like it a lot.

me buy Derek Rose cashmere tracksuit pants and cotton tracksuit pants a few year back.
It biggest load of rubbish.
All made offshore now.

emptym

Reaction score
^ I've never looked where my DR stuff was made. But I like Linoto in part because it's made in NY.

My favorite undershirts are the legendary poly-cotton blends from the 80s and before, carried by places like Sears and JC Penny. I have several that were my dad's and have never found anything as good. They're threadbare but still feel like they'll last forever. I can't believe no one's duplicated them.

Panama

Reaction score
Agreed.
Many claims about the items sold on his site are best in the world.
It not always true.

It look like Zimmerli quality control very bad now.
Know how is gone.
Clothing shrink etc.

Kabbaz say Bresciani underwear best in world,
but how he know this?

Many good things gone now.
New sunspel not compare to old made in england sunspel.

Is Bresciani underwear very good?
Worth it?
Bresciani is the second most expensive boxer shorts made with Sea Island cotton. Hanro and Novila are probably not that far behind in cost. Hanro produces Sea Island cotton boxers, whilst Novila is Giza 70.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
me buy Derek Rose cashmere tracksuit pants and cotton tracksuit pants a few year back.
It biggest load of rubbish.
All made offshore now.
I don't know about their loungewear, but Derek Rose pj's are made in the Czech republic.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had zimmerli bought at Harrods in the 70s and 80s. White vests. Superb stuff.
Had bought some more like 20 years ago. Mostly white undershirts and some in other colors. Really good stuff.
Their top line was exceptional and better than others I saw. They had other lines which were a significant step down. Good but not exquisite.
Currently overseas and found a local manufacturer. Nothing compared to zimmerli but not bad and <$2 per vest. Would love to get more zim but the price multiple makes it hard.
-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads