• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
In light of my comments on here mentioning my Kow Hoo shoe's did not fit well, they called me at lunch time today and requested I return them to be altered and relasted.

I am sure they will come back more comfortable.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
Mind sharing your experience with Zee with your first pair ?

Went in on a Friday and told him to copy a pair of my own shoes, but in a different color and with a slightly sharper toecap. I picked it from a selection of leather he showed me.

On Monday, went in again for a fitting, but without the leather on. The sides were a little tight, so I told him to loosen them a bit.

His English is so-so (his daughter was there both times but I don't know her exact role in the business- I suspect she answers email) and my Canto is non-existent, but I was pleasantly surprised to be able to converse with him in Mandarin.

Shoes arrived in the mail with shoe trees (have to buy them) about a week later. Sides were ok, but I realized the front was a little tight. Emailed them and asked for the toecap to be stretched the next time I go up and whoever replied (they go by the name of "zees") said ok.

For the price- I paid HK$1600 each for both shoes which I ordered- I don't think it can be beat. My feet aren't that strange for OTR, but I get to specify more or less what I want and the fit is a bit better.

If they solve the problems with my second pair (at their cost since they misread my email), I will definitely buy from them again.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Went in on a Friday and told him to copy a pair of my own shoes, but in a different color and with a slightly sharper toecap. I picked it from a selection of leather he showed me.

On Monday, went in again for a fitting, but without the leather on. The sides were a little tight, so I told him to loosen them a bit.

His English is so-so (his daughter was there both times but I don't know her exact role in the business- I suspect she answers email) and my Canto is non-existent, but I was pleasantly surprised to be able to converse with him in Mandarin.

Shoes arrived in the mail with shoe trees (have to buy them) about a week later. Sides were ok, but I realized the front was a little tight. Emailed them and asked for the toecap to be stretched the next time I go up and whoever replied (they go by the name of "zees") said ok.

For the price- I paid HK$1600 each for both shoes which I ordered- I don't think it can be beat. My feet aren't that strange for OTR, but I get to specify more or less what I want and the fit is a bit better.

If they solve the problems with my second pair (at their cost since they misread my email), I will definitely buy from them again.

Hi dbc

Did you have to make an appt with Zee before you dropped by the Friday you mentioned?

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hst
Hi dbc

Did you have to make an appt with Zee before you dropped by the Friday you mentioned?

No appointments. I waited about 10 mins to talk to him as he had another client but that was ok cause I was with Peter (Lee Baron tailor).

Second time, I just said I'll be down when you open. No timing given or whatever. Walked in and fitting done ASAP. In fact, he kept my bags for me to go wonder about TST before Peter opened.

I imagine it might be worse if you go after working hours (I dont think they exist in Asia though!
tongue.gif
).

No harm calling in though. I've already called in all my appoinments in HK- Chan, Peter, Ascot Chang for my jaunt to the Fragrant Harbour.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dib
Thanks, I'll try this.

I have to say, my Zees are turning out to be pretty uncomfortable/painful to wear, even more uncomfortable than some of my RTW shoes, which is a real shame. Not only do they cut into the side of my foot, the leather digs into the top of my big toe when I walk (i.e. where the shoe creases). They may get slightly more comfortable with repreated use over time, but I'm surprised that a shoe which has been measured to fit my foot is turning out to be so painful to wear.

I was happy to try Zees after reading good reviews here. I've had two pairs made and there will not be a third. Because of a narrow foot, I find it virtually impossible to find a good fit in HK apart from Ecco. Zees told me I'm a 9C and Ecco fit me well, but they have all fallen to pieces on me.....the sole has disintegrated on three pairs. Thus Zee sounded like a good idea.

Unfortunately, although the Zees shoes look terrific, the first pair had to be stretched in the toe area and adjusted inside as they were digging into the sole of my foot. Ouch!

The second pair fitted well but again, the sole of my foot is screaming for relief after half an hour. Absolutely no inner padding at all. Somebody here suggested that Zee said to insert an inner sole to make the shoes more comfortable.

If this is true, why would Zees not amend the process? Why have shoes made to fit if they are unwearable? I like the standard of work well enough and the service there is great, but it's turned out a disappointment.

Any suggestions from shoe experts in HK? Is there a decent RTW shoe brand that is likely to fit my narrow feet or should I look for another maker? I'm getting desperate for a good and comfortable shoe.

BTW I've looked on-line at sites like Herrings, but nobody seems to produce C or even D widths. Help!

Dib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Annadale
Heading to Zee's on saturday after picking up my, hopefully, finished suit from Chan's. I am having the 'cloth shoe' fitting first, then I get to pick and play with the 'French calf' leathers. Looking forward to it. I saw a pair of Dainite soles on a readily accessible shelf, and am thinking possibly of a pair of brogues for my first pair. On the other hand, a pair of wholecuts with discrete brogueing on the cap have also piqued my interest. Any helpful suggestions? Zee's could be a godsend in shoeing my broad size thirteens, and all for just slightly more than a shirt from Chan's!
Do Zee's also provide wooden shoe trees?

My one piece of advice would be to be very specific with your instructions regarding the brogueing, as there have been huge variances in the output I have seen from them. A couple of times I have seen them execute brogueing well (neat holes, punched close together, nice pattern etc) but more often than not, the examples I have seen have been poor (poor pattern replication, holes punhced too large and too far apart from each other etc). This may simply be due to the fact that the shoes have been made by different workers, some of whom are better at brogueing than others.

ApplesHK

Reaction score
No suggestions regarding narrow fittings forthcoming, so I did some exploring and found a site called
sizeadvisors.com. Here I did the measurements asked for and up came recommendations of shoes and lasts. Whereas Zee said I was a very narrow 9C the measurements punched into sizeadvisors.com came out as 9E UK fitting.

This site then recommended the following:
Edward Green
Last 666 9.0E
Last 82 9.0E
Last 202 9.0E
The site suggested the 666 last would be the best fit.

Wouldn't you just know that the shoe I get recommended is one of the most expensive? I mean, why couldn't it be Trickers, or CJ or AE or Cheaney?
Had a look at Tassels for the Edward Green and yes, they are gorgeous, but I'm not paying $1000US for a pair of shoes.

Again, any shoe experts who can offer a little advice?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ApplesHK
No suggestions regarding narrow fittings forthcoming, so I did some exploring and found a site called
sizeadvisors.com. Here I did the measurements asked for and up came recommendations of shoes and lasts. Whereas Zee said I was a very narrow 9C the measurements punched into sizeadvisors.com came out as 9E UK fitting.

This site then recommended the following:
Edward Green
Last 666 9.0E
Last 82 9.0E
Last 202 9.0E
The site suggested the 666 last would be the best fit.

Wouldn't you just know that the shoe I get recommended is one of the most expensive? I mean, why couldn't it be Trickers, or CJ or AE or Cheaney?
Had a look at Tassels for the Edward Green and yes, they are gorgeous, but I'm not paying $1000US for a pair of shoes.

Again, any shoe experts who can offer a little advice?

then you should try G&G then at the armoury as people say they fit narrow and long perhaps go for a 8.5E failing that you have tassles

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
then you should try G&G then at the armoury as people say they fit narrow and long perhaps go for a 8.5E failing that you have tassles

G&Gs fo sho, but they're going for HK$9000 and up at The Armoury :/

ApplesHK

Reaction score
Thanks dbc. Shoes at $6000, $7000 or $8000 are no doubt beautiful things but I can't justify that expense. Prices at the Armoury and Tassels are out of my league. I didn't think it would be so hard to find a good looking, well made and correct fitting shoe at $3000 HK. That's a fair whack in my book. But I did receive private messages suggesting I look here for shoes at various price points in a 9E fitting, AND.......they are not Edward Greens. Thank you gentlemen. http://www.pediwear.co.uk/search/results.php?offset=0

mrbig

Reaction score
Having emailed the address from the photo of their business card; I recieved a bounceback... so does anybody have a current email address for them?

Also has anybody got a source for lasts in Australia? Or anybody that can make me a last from a drawing of the overall shoe as well as tracings of my feet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads