• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Ancestry

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gav
That post was for the sake of the discussion mate, i know your dad's not German.

What i mean is for me you can only be two halves, not quarter this and quarter that.

I take it your dad was born in the USA? Regardless of his parents, and in relation to you I'd say he's American. Thus making you half American half Italian, hmm, like a gangster of some sort.

laugh.gif

Drift my catch now?

But a half of a half is a quarter, no? Mother was born in the USA and father was born in the USA too so I'm of course 100% American, but since we're talking ancestry I'm 1/2 Italian and 1/4 German, 1/4 Irish. What's your ancestry - are you 100% Scottish? like a Terrier?
laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops nevermind -- just read the OP and I see that you're Irish. So... if being 1/2 Italian makes me a gangster of some sort, then are you a belligerent drunk?
laugh.gif
Just kidding of course, as I'm sure you were.
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I know it's been brought up before in some huge thread; but, why is it that Jews feel their faith can be used for their nationality/ancestry/lineage?

judeism is a religion, but it is also an enthicity - to some extent like hinduism, it is a religion that started out with a specific nation, a specific location.

there are many jews that don't follow the faith, and many jews that don't believe.

you can, however, convert to the faith, and be part of the nation/people. the origional converts weren't converting to a religion, they were "converting" by deciding to throw their fate in with the jewish people.

its a comple type of thing.

another part of why it is used as an ethnicity is this - if you are "british", your family might go back 2000 years in the same general township location. if you are jewish, your family probrably moved every 2 generations or so for the past 2000 years.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my mothers side, ashcanazi jews, came to cananda in the 30's. I don't know much about the family, they lived in a part of poland that was ruled by poland, russia and germany at different parts of the last 200 years. all of my grandparents' family were killed by germans and poles in the holocust - my maternal grandfathers mother was forced to dig graves for her children and husband before she was killed, and one of my maternal grandmothers brothers was a leader in the warsaw ghetto uprising.

my fathers fathers side came to the US in the 1830's - an orphan from the area of Ely in England. he was trained as a tailor and, apparently, became an aide and tailor to general grant in the civil war.

my father's mothers side came to America on the mayflower, apperently, and one of my ansestors served as a militia colonel in the french and indian war, and then with a militia in the revolution. this family is related, apprently, to the 2 presendents Addams. my fathers maternal grandfather was the engineer who built the power plant at niagra falls.

so, sort of a wierd background - penniless wasp/trad/prepies on one side, penniles polish jewish emigrants on the other.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Cartman: "My grandfather was one quarter lesbian, so that makes me one sixteenth lesbian."
That's a classic!
laugh.gif
"Ya know what? My grandma was Dutch Irish, and my grandpa was lesbian - that makes me quarter-lesbian!"
crackup[1].gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the whole scene:

\t[The Cafeteria. The boys are in line for lunch]
"Kyle:\tDude! I aced that test! I'm gonna win that dinner with Ms. Ellen!
Stan:\tNo you're not! I don't think I missed any!
Wendy:\t[approaches witn BeBe. Both have lunches already] Hi, Stan.
Stan:\tI bet I scored 100!
Wendy:\tHI, STAN!
Stan:\tOh, hi, Wendy.
Wendy:\tI was just in the bathroom, and Ms. Ellen was in there taking the biggest dump I've ever seen.
Kyle:\tNo, she wasn't!
Wendy:\tYes, she was!
Stan:\tThat's impossible!
Wendy:\tWell, she did! And she has horrible, horrible gas, too! She says she can't control it!
Cartman:\tNuh-uh!
Wendy:\tIt smells like a dead calf rotting in the hot sun!
Kyle:\tOh cool.
Cartman:\tHey Wendy, seriously, you need to stop with this whole jealousy thing!
Kyle:\tYeah. You're acting like a freak, Wendy.
Wendy:\tNO I'M NOT ACTING LIKE A FREEEAK!!! [realizes she has made a spectacle of herself as her voice echoes all over the room. Everyone in the cafetera looks at her. She moves away, humbled. BeBe follows]
Cartman:\tDamn, man, someone's got to pull that monkey out of Wendy's ass. [they go in to get their lunches]
Chef:\t[somberly] Hello there, children.
Cartman:\tOh, hi, Chef.
Kyle:\tHow did your date with Ms. Ellen go?
Chef:\tNot too good.
Stan:\tWhat happened? Didn't you make sweet love to her?
Chef:\tNo, nono, she's not like that. You see... uh, how do I put this? Children,... Ms. Ellen doesn't exactly play for the right team. [they wait...] Ih-ih-ih-in in other words, children, she's not a member of the...heterosexual persuasion. [they just blink at him] Don't you understand? She's a lesbian.
Stan:\tA whatbian?
Kyle:\tA plebeian?
Chef:\tYou boys don't know what a lesbian is?
Stan:\tKenny? [he throws his palms up. He doesn't know, either] No, explain it to us, Chef.
Chef:\tHud-that-that's okay. Uhd-uh, look. All you need to know is, Ms. Ellen's a lesbian, and that means she only likes other lesbians.
Stan:\tOh.
Chef:\tNow move along, children, you're holding up the line! [they head back into the cafeteria]
Kyle:\tWeak, dude. She only likes other lesbians?
Stan:\tHey, man. If she only likes other lesbians, then all we gotta do is become lesbians, too!
Kyle:\tHey, yeah!
Cartman:\tYou guys. Ya know what? My grandma was Dutch Irish, and my grandpa was lesbian - that makes me quarter-lesbian.
Stan:\tYou're just saying that, Cartman.
Kyle:\tYeah, you're not a lesbian, fatass.
Cartman:\tI am, too!"

Gav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Oops nevermind -- just read the OP and I see that you're Irish. So... if being 1/2 Italian makes me a gangster of some sort, then are you a belligerent drunk?
laugh.gif
Just kidding of course, as I'm sure you were.
smile.gif

No I'm Scottish from Irish ancestry, but, belligerent drunk fit's the bill...

Hic!

lol8[1].gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gav
No I'm Scottish from Irish ancestry, but, belligerent drunk fit's [sic] the bill...

Hic!

lol8[1].gif

Same here!
cheers.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
our like of certain womens must have to do something with our blood mixes Amerikajin, Im Italian (Grandmother on dad's side), Irish and German (mom's side).

If you trace my Grandma (mom's side) back a bit further we were Spaniards and Moores.
My Grandpa (mom's side) said that we had Japanese in our blood. Though I am not sure if he was joking or not, since he used to go to Japan once a month. I know he had English blood on his mom's side.

More recent history on my Dad's side, (like a 1800s) my family explored much of the northern Rockies (many claims around Montana)

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
our like of certain womens must have to do something with our blood mixes Amerikajin, Im Italian (Grandmother on dad's side), Irish and German (mom's side).

Hey that's pretty cool!
smile.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Cartman: "My grandfather was one quarter lesbian, so that makes me one sixteenth lesbian."

My favorite Cartman line:
"My Mom says there are a lot of black kids in China."

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite Cartman line:
"My Mom says there are a lot of black kids in China."

My favorite Cartman line is in this scene:

[Mr Garrison]
Okay children Who wrote the declaration of independence?
C'mon children, don't be shy just give it your best shot. Yes Clyde?

[Clyde]
Timmy?

[Mr Garrison]
Okay, now let's try to get an answer from someone whos not a
complete marsupial. Anyone? C'mon, don't be shy.

[Kyle]
I think I know the answer Mr Garrison!

[Cartman]
Meh meh meh meh meh meh mehmeh!

[Kyle]
Shut up fat boy!

[Cartman]
AY! Don't call me fat, you fuckin' jew!

[Mr Garrison]
Eric! Did you just say the 'F' word?!

[Cartman]
Jew?

[Kyle]
No, he's talkin' about ****. You can't say **** in school, you
fuckin' fat ass.

[Mr Garrison]
KYLE!

[Cartman]
Why the **** not?

[Mr Garrison]
ERIC!

[Stan]
Dude, you just said **** again!

[Mr Garrison]
STANLEY!

[Kenny]
(muffled) ****

[Mr Garrison]
KENNY!

[Cartman]
What's the big deal? It doesn't hurt anybody! ****, fuckity, ****, ****, ****!

[Mr Garrison]
How would you like to go see the school councellor?!

[Cartman]
How would you like to ******* balls?

*big gasp from whole class*

[Mr Garrison]
WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!

[Cartman]
Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!
Actually, what I said was,
*pulls out megaphone*
"HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO ******* BALLS, MR GARRISON?!?!"

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I love at the end of that how he Mr Garrison part has a slight pause and even formality to the way he says it.

Also, another great line with Cartman is:
"No it's because Kyle is a Jew, a J-O-O, Jew!"

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love at the end of that how he Mr Garrison part has a slight pause and even formality to the way he says it.

Also, another great line with Cartman is:
"No it's because Kyle is a Jew, a J-O-O, Jew!"

That's a good one!

What about this one:

Stan: Dude, dolphins are intelligent and friendly.
Cartman: Intelligent and friendly on rye bread with some mayonnaise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads