• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

davidlee388

Reaction score

What about the y's beijing show?

You are both right.

The Beijing Y's Show in June 2008 was held in conjunction with Yohji Yamamoto Fund For Peace and the pieces were auctioned afterwards so technically the Runway pieces of that never made it to the shops for us mortals.

esox

Reaction score
Yes, I love this one too! Also trying to locate one in sz 4..! Like nahneun said, there were a few on Gilt some time ago, perhaps they will show up again.

so i am not the only one searching for one in a size 4!??
satisfied.gif

bad luck that i didnt know gilt at this time.

Last edited:

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about the y's beijing show?

You are both right.
The Beijing Y's Show in June 2008 was held in conjunction with Yohji Yamamoto Fund For Peace and the pieces were auctioned afterwards so technically the Runway pieces of that never made it to the shops for us mortals.

yeah, I meant "regular" YFM shows. The Beijing show is an exception as David points out. Compared to the YFM aw08 lookbook (and what I assume was sold in the stores), the pieces shown in Beijing seemed to be mostly reworked YYPH pieces. I think some of it was sold in stores though..? Like the flower print shirts etc. Anyway, for aw08 there was also a lookbook - the Beijing show done in conjunction with the women's pieces (also quite similar to the YYF iirc) was a one time off thing.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
while still on aw04 talk. one of my first yohji buys: y's heavy wool pants and y's wool felt coat. both bought around year ago before knowing season codes etc. i think £150 in total. now is the time that i finally start to feel relaxed wearing them... one year later.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
"There is poetry and elegance to the way nomads dress. I want to capture that feeling and make it modern."

[Video][/video]

Last edited:

HarukiUeda

Reaction score
I'm back with another thrift item but this time it is an A.A.R. Yohji Yamamoto D'urban suit. From what I could google, this seems to be some sort of collaboration for an affordable line but I don't know much more than that; would anyone have more info? It seems to be one of his earliest collaborations. Unfortunately, this suit is tight on me (it is labeled as a Medium) and the sleeves seem short for a Yohji but the shoulders are slightly oversized and the trousers are somewhat egg shaped (looks like a typical early 1990’s Japanese suit). In terms of quality, it is all machine stitched and finished with a fused front but the construction was finished well. Overall, I think it lines up with the quality of a current Hugo Boss suit. But what I most like is the fabric which is 80% wool, 15% cotton, and 5% nylon (Yohji seems to really like combining wool cotton and nylon). It has a raw texture to it with the cotton clearly visible in-between the wool. Both fabric and construction were done in japan.

Now that I have the YYPH coat and shirt, I have been looking for some trousers to go with it so when I got my hands on this suit, I started comparing the measurements of the trousers with some ebay/y! listings and one thing that I noticed is that the trousers I got seem to match some of the more popular yyph trousers that get more bids. What worries me is that these trousers seems kind of normal for your typical 80's to mid-90's suit trousers, not something that is unique to Yohji or particularly difficult to find with other brands (during that time). Was it that Yohji influenced all of these designers and many people copied his silhouettes or was Yohji just following the general trend at that time. Admittedly, he does make really wide cut trousers and his hakamas are fairly exclusive to him but the the ones I see most often on the runway are quite normal and as my grandfather's closet seems to suggest, somewhat dated. If I were to get one pair of trousers from YYPH, what style should I be going for if I wanted something unique but not jarringly different?

Auburn

Reaction score
I think for one the silhouette of the trousers that you have now is not all that interesting. That is however due to them being from a "Yohji for businessmen" line. Pictures also don't really do the pants much justice, since a still image can't transfer the feeling of the fabric or convey how it looks in motion. I would just try to find a nice pair of wool gabardine trousers as a nice base to start with. There are also "weirder" trousers with interesting button placement. Unfortunately, I don't have the memory to point you towards specific seasons, but I know Ivwri and David both have a lot of interesting trousers which, at least to my eye, do not seem at all dated.

edit: I don't know how tall you are, but as you said the suit does look a little tight on you. I'd stick to things in a 4 or an L.

Last edited:

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit looks great, Haruki. You gotta tell me where you're thrifting all this yohji!!
I know A.A.R doesn't have the best reputation, but that fabric is beautiful and the cut is pretty good too, if not a little conservative for yohji. I have heard the quality of that line is pretty crap though. Hope you got a good price for it
shog[1].gif

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool gab. If you want interesting then perhaps something that has volume at the thighs and then tapers at the end.

Linen and cotton blends are good too, ESP if you want a jump on the summer. I think that suit had potential, out just needs to be exploited :)

HarukiUeda

Reaction score
So here are the trousers. Waist 38cm, Thigh 36cm, Rise 40cm, Height 87cm, Leg opening 22cm.
The waist is very very tight on me (not wearable) so I am still looking for trousers. Is there any good new years sales in japan that may carry yyph at a steep discount? I know someone that is in japan and can possibly pick something up for me. Thanks for the help.

xeraphim

Reaction score
forget about steep discounts - you'll be hard-pressed to find anything remotely decent after the first few days of the first markdown.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the masters work but still a celebration of some interesting fit and fit play :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads