• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

davidlee388

Reaction score
A recent addition.

YYPH AW05 Look 38 Handstitched Blazer - ( HN-J70-120 ) - the black iteration of the vintage linen Runway piece. 90/10 wool/nylon blend, non-woven, boiled wool like. Size 2, sleeves + 2/3 body lined in cupro, 2 sliver bespoke thin metal closure buttons for a short, boxy silhoutte. 2 expandable pockets, buttonless sleeves. Close-up reveals exquisite handstitched details on edge of notch lapels and front panels creating a subtle 3-D effect.

YYPH AW02 Long Zipped Knit Vest - ( HM-K32-086 ) - ex Wire.Artist, dark navy in 90/10 wool/cashmere soft fabric. Size 4, long and slim fit, bright silver double riri zippers for closure variations. Huge collar allows a rollneck option.

YYPH SS09 Look 15 Leather Insert Pants ( HV-P07-114 ) - 100% wool, softer than 100 gab, size 3, huge waist and super baggy, front pleated. Belt loops, 2 back pocket flaps, and darts on knee side buttoned pockets in leather.

Y-3 Hejarklack Leather Hi-tops, CDG H+ Belt, Basic Tee

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always looking forward to these archival posts Kiko :slayer:. One thing about Yohji's stuff that is not spoken about as much as his use of black and early 20th century influences is the crossover with a lot of African American culture as well. Quite inspiring in the way these forms and shapes can be so timeless and still represent a rebellious edge that a lot of designers struggle to get right.

cupper

Reaction score

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just acquired this YYPH piece from ebay courtesy of someone buying my margiela and a very helpful consult from our own david :)

Here is the tag code: HY-J25-101

According to david it's a SS05 peice from the runway. The price was absurd!

Runway pics:

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i previously passed on this , i forgot who had it on SZ but i was many years ago before i had a single yohji :eek:

i love the **** details and would get it were it my size !

size2

Last edited:

repp_fink

Reaction score

I noticed a variation of it on Y! as well. The one I saw on Y! was a size 2, and had one pair of connecting tabs up near the shoulders instead of the elbows like your version. Sounds like it might be the one you saw as well. 

I own one of the variant jackets I think you're referring to -- it's similar to the one davidlee posted, but there are some interesting differences. You could think of it as the more "formal" variant, I suppose. :) It's unvented, with flap pockets instead of patch pockets, the buttons are black horn instead of metal, and there's no hood. The attachments at the elbows have been moved to the rear shoulder seams. There are also an extra set of attachments which I didn't see on davidlee's photos, at the rear hem about four inches each from the center seam, allowing the jacket to be pulled up behind as well as in front. Additionally, there are vertical hidden **** pockets parallel to the front darts, which I don't believe are present on the other version.

The fabric is a different composition and code (HN-J04-104) : 59% wool, 17% rayon, 12% linen, and 12% ramie. It's heavy stuff -- offhand, I'd say it's like a #8 or even #6 cotton duck -- with a pronounced weave. If you all are interested, I can take some photos during the week and post them to this thread.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

I own one of the variant jackets I think you're referring to -- it's similar to the one davidlee posted, but there are some interesting differences. You could think of it as the more "formal" variant, I suppose. :) It's unvented, with flap pockets instead of patch pockets, the buttons are black horn instead of metal, and there's no hood. The attachments at the elbows have been moved to the rear shoulder seams. There are also an extra set of attachments which I didn't see on davidlee's photos, at the rear hem about four inches each from the center seam, allowing the jacket to be pulled up behind as well as in front. Additionally, there are vertical hidden **** pockets parallel to the front darts, which I don't believe are present on the other version.
The fabric is a different composition and code (HN-J04-104) : 59% wool, 17% rayon, 12% linen, and 12% ramie. It's heavy stuff -- offhand, I'd say it's like a #8 or even #6 cotton duck -- with a pronounced weave. If you all are interested, I can take some photos during the week and post them to this thread.

This is slowly becoming a AW05 sub-thread lol which I don't mind cos it's my favorite season, so many great Runway pieces that are also very wearable.

Please post a fit for your blazer. There is an identical piece ( I think ) to yours now on Y! right now that the seller reckons it's Look 42 but it's difficult to ascertain from the mainstream online images. Kiko has access to and post some very good alternative, detail images of AW05 so maybe he can post some more here....

Funny you said the parachute blazer iteration you have is more formal ( no hood, no patch pockets, different buttons etc ) in design and yet my and Arche's Look 41, more informal iteration is fabricated with a more formal 100% wool gab rather than a more utilitarian fabric. That's I guess makes Yohji such an interesting dress maker, not only anti-fit, but sometimes anti-fabric as well ... The predictable thing about Yohji is he's unpredictable :)

Last edited:

esox

Reaction score
found this ad today in arena magazine - 1987

+ suit arrived along with y's shirt that i got it from ebay. both are in fantastic condition and fabric, well the jacket pockets were still stitched on and i can easily say its brand new.

congrats to the suit. i really like it.

there is one iteration i even like more. did not see it in nature but would like to own one.
if someone want to sell a size 4.....?
smile.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
^ there were a lot of those on gilt before

cupper

Reaction score
reep_fink, we are all interested :) please do post them. It's always great to see the details and fit pics.

esox, that jacket is indeed beautiful. Do you guys know if Yohji san was saying goodbye with the SS09 show or was his continuation never in doubt?

cupper

Reaction score
Kiko you are right, there's even a photo where you can see the Y's logo on the reverse jacket. Vogue had the photos as one show and I was on auto mode when posted them.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its the same on catwalking.com... maybe the shows were one after an other..

not sure if i posted the y's aw05 pitti show. so many great suits and white shirts... me want.

Yep, up until AW05 Y's for men and YYPH were shown together, one after the other afaik. Not sure when it started though. AW05 also happens to be the last runway show for YFM.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

congrats to the suit. i really like it.

there is one iteration i even like more. did not see it in nature but would like to own one.
if someone want to sell a size 4.....?  :)

Yes, I love this one too! Also trying to locate one in sz 4..! Like nahneun said, there were a few on Gilt some time ago, perhaps they will show up again.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads