• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi firefly, with regards to using Yohji codes to search for actual goods may not yield many results because most people that list YY stuff for sale don't use the codes. The codes only become useful when you have seen something that you already like and ask the seller for the code. You can then use the code to get a better idea of the product in question (fabric, fit etc.). If you are looking for Yohji stuff to buy on eBay or Yahoo Japan auctions etc. then it is much easier to just search via category and go from there.

The hakamas valter posted are actually different from the ones that David did as valter's own hakamas are a wool gabardine and with much wider legs, asking them look much more like a skirt than the ones David has which are in a very soft jersey cotton and are shorter. Unfortunately the hakama pants were pretty popular last season and sold out in most places. What size are you? I am sure I saw a pair not too long ago on Yahoo Japan. If you are not to picky about colour and style, you could try a pair of the brown striped ones which I saw on sale from user jamesd (I think?) over on style zeitgeist. Might be worth a shot. Can't help you id those pants unfortunately, but hopefully someone else will be able to :).

P4, I think that picture may just look that way because the silk moves around quite a bit. That jacket is the same cut as the wool gabardine stand collar jacket I picked up from that season, but in the printed silk. I have a better picture of it on its own if you are interested in seeing it. Let me know and I can PM it to you.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotoveli in NYC has some Yohji fw pieces in. Just a few shirts, the long gabardine jacket, and some pants right now. All black and white. I think they'll be getting more by the end of the month though. Don't think they'll be getting the look 23 jacket, Ivwri, in case you're still searching. I generally like their buy better than Atelier's.

fireflygrave

Reaction score

Hi firefly, with regards to using Yohji codes to search for actual goods may not yield many results because most people that list YY stuff for sale don't use the codes. The codes only become useful when you have seen something that you already like and ask the seller for the code. You can then use the code to get a better idea of the product in question (fabric, fit etc.). If you are looking for Yohji stuff to buy on eBay or Yahoo Japan auctions etc. then it is much easier to just search via category and go from there.
The hakamas valter posted are actually different from the ones that David did as valter's own hakamas are a wool gabardine and with much wider legs, asking them look much more like a skirt than the ones David has which are in a very soft jersey cotton and are shorter. Unfortunately the hakama pants were pretty popular last season and sold out in most places. What size are you? I am sure I saw a pair not too long ago on Yahoo Japan. If you are not to picky about colour and style, you could try a pair of the brown striped ones which I saw on sale from user jamesd (I think?) over on style zeitgeist. Might be worth a shot.

Ah, gotcha on how to use the codes. Definitely good to be able to get more info on fabric and construction!

David's hakamas are my favorite pair I've seen so far I think, very flowing and nice :) I really like them in black but I'm open to other colors.

I'm not sure what size I'd need in YY, but I'm 6' (182 cm) with a 33" waist and 36" hips, so probably a 3 (going by your size guide in the OP). I'll definitely check out Yahoo Japan, thanks for the tip!

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, gotcha on how to use the codes. Definitely good to be able to get more info on fabric and construction!
David's hakamas are my favorite pair I've seen so far I think, very flowing and nice :) I really like them in black but I'm open to other colors.
I'm not sure what size I'd need in YY, but I'm 6' (182 cm) with a 33" waist and 36" hips, so probably a 3 (going by your size guide in the OP). I'll definitely check out Yahoo Japan, thanks for the tip!

Hm, a 3 sounds good, but I am sure you could also do a 4 for that oversized Yohji look :devil:. Probably best to start with a 3 anyway and see what you think about the way it fits you and go from there.

Hotoveli in NYC has some Yohji fw pieces in. Just a few shirts, the long gabardine jacket, and some pants right now. All black and white. I think they'll be getting more by the end of the month though. Don't think they'll be getting the look 23 jacket, Ivwri, in case you're still searching. I generally like their buy better than Atelier's.

Funny enough I am just coming from their website. Was planning on sending them an email to find out what they had gotten in. It's more out of general interest though, will probably end up not picking up that jacket. The thing that has grabbed me for whatever reason is the look 17 navy jacket, lol. It is crazily expensive so it is probably going to be the only "big ticket" item I will get from this season. I am told it is pretty warm though :(. Also looking out for the look 15 jacket in 100 gabardine. The runway version seems to be in a thicker wool. I also just picked up the navy pants on ln-cc. If everything goes smoothly should have them by Wednesday will post pics and impressions once they arrive :)

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
New addition:- my second Yohji vest

YYPH SS06 Look 28 Multi-pocket Vest ( HR-V02-200 ) Part of the Look 28 set-up. The vest is cleverly layered over a ( matching ) blazer. Size 2, 100% rayon, same fabric as the Look 25 coat, very black, matt-looking, smooth and light. Classic Yohji buttons, 3B closure, peak lapels, semi-open backed design with 2 metal buckle straps. 3 3-D buttoned flap pockets on left front, 2 more on right front, 1 on left back, 1 on right back. A huge open pocket on left side which is lined in cuir leather with a linen front patch and closed by a studded leather strap. 8 pockets in total. 4 leather straps ( 2 front, 2 back ) with cut-outs at bottom edge that are used to fasten to matching blazer's buttons. Serious construction and very versatile and practical. Can be worn open, closed, layered over a Tee, shirt or jacket or under a coat. Fun piece. The hunt for that matching blazer starts now....

Y's Yohji Yamamoto Cargo Pants ( MS-P13-203 ) Size 2, 100% linen, the season guide suggests AW92 but I seriously doubt that. Super supple, light airy fabric, faded black, hugely oversized which I love. Drawstring waist with toggles, same for the hems. 2 flapped side pockets with studs. 2 of the same on the back. Huge cargo pockets with twin studs on sides of legs. Classic Yohji silhouette.

Basic black SS Tee and Y-3 black Hejarklack Hi-tops complete the " Pocket Look " lol.

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
whoa! that's a lot of pockets ^^ hee-he. lookin'g good david. you've really got quite an expansive wardrobe of yohji.

btw, is there a link to the season code list for Ys similar to the YYPH codes?

oh, also, nice silk jacket ivwri! I've had my eye on the one at ikkon for a few weeks.. but even on sale it's a little steep. :-(

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

whoa! that's a lot of pockets ^^ hee-he. lookin'g good david. you've really got quite an expansive wardrobe of yohji.
oh, also, nice silk jacket ivwri! I've had my eye on the one at ikkon for a few weeks.. but even on sale it's a little steep. :-(

Thanks Parker, this vest is the " you look quick you've missed it " type on the Runway, it's worn over a blazer with the same peak lapels. I may be searching forever for that blazer....let alone in sz 2. Yohji at his creative best in my view.

Regarding season codes, generally you put " M ", " Y " or " F " instead of " H " for Y's ( mens ), Y's ( womens ) and Femme respectively for the same year so don't think there's a separate list. These pants gotta be a SS piece, so help Asobu.

Yes the silk jackets of SS12 are seriously cool, the standout pieces of that season... so are the prices... lol.

xeraphim

Reaction score
Funny enough I am just coming from their website. Was planning on sending them an email to find out what they had gotten in. It's more out of general interest though, will probably end up not picking up that jacket. The thing that has grabbed me for whatever reason is the look 17 navy jacket, lol. It is crazily expensive so it is probably going to be the only "big ticket" item I will get from this season. I am told it is pretty warm though
frown.gif
. Also looking out for the look 15 jacket in 100 gabardine. The runway version seems to be in a thicker wool. I also just picked up the navy pants on ln-cc. If everything goes smoothly should have them by Wednesday will post pics and impressions once they arrive
smile.gif

Ivwri, the jacket in look 17 is nowhere near "pretty warm"... in fact it's probably one of the lighter jackets i've handled from this season
smile.gif
price is indeed crazily expensive though.

Arche

Reaction score
Great vest David! Did someone already post an image of the jacket that goes with that? I seem to recall commenting on a great suit, where the jacket had lots of outside pockets, and someone said that the pockets were actually a separate vest. Anyway, looking good. Actually, with all those pockets on a vest, and those cargo pants, Yohji should really hire you to be on a crack fashion SWAT team, arresting anyone caught wearing skinny jeans:) Hmm, maybe the SWAT could stand for Style Wushu Against Trendiness . . .

davidlee388

Reaction score

Great vest David! Did someone already post an image of the jacket that goes with that? I seem to recall commenting on a great suit, where the jacket had lots of outside pockets, and someone said that the pockets were actually a separate vest. Anyway, looking good. Actually, with all those pockets on a vest, and those cargo pants, Yohji should really hire you to be on a crack fashion SWAT team, arresting anyone caught wearing skinny jeans:) Hmm, maybe the SWAT could stand for Style Wushu Against Trendiness . . .

That's was me saying that after Kiko posted detailed back shots of SS06 and you commenting what a great suit that was :)

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks damn good Ivwri, you know I love that jacket and the shirt/vest hybrid is brilliant.

Y's Yohji Yamamoto Cargo Pants ( MS-P13-203 ) Size 2, 100% linen, the season guide suggests AW92 but I seriously doubt that. Super supple, light airy fabric, faded black, hugely oversized which I love. Drawstring waist with toggles, same for the hems. 2 flapped side pockets with studs. 2 of the same on the back. Huge cargo pockets with twin studs on sides of legs. Classic Yohji silhouette. 

Regarding season codes, generally you put " M ", " Y " or " F " instead of " H " for Y's ( mens ), Y's ( womens ) and Femme respectively for the same year so don't think there's a separate list. These pants gotta be a SS piece, so help Asobu.

Yeah, those pants (very nice, btw) are not A/W 92. The rule is, if the sizing is in numbers, then it's post-1999 no matter what code. Things is, Y's codes are all over the place. I've seen (and own) YFM w/ number sizing that have W, D, S, L etc, none of which are used for YYPH or YYF. As far as I've been able to make out, the runway lines (the ones presented together with YYPH up until 2005) and the post-05 lookbooks share codes with YYPH for the main part (change H for M), but for the regular lines it's all up in the air. Thing is, since there are no runway pics to compare with the regular YFM line items, it will be difficult or perhaps impossible to pinpoint the actual seasons tied to those codes.

Fun piece, David! Seems like you're getting a lot of SS06

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ivwri, the jacket in look 17 is nowhere near "pretty warm"... in fact it's probably one of the lighter jackets i've handled from this season :) price is indeed crazily expensive though.

Thanks for the extra info xeraphim. Did you try it on? My main concern is whether or not it would work in a tropical climate. This is good news for me though (and bad for my wallet, lol)

love these trousers
http://shuitsang.tumblr.com/post/28866718818

Saw that fit on SZ and also quite liked the pants too. They look pretty familiar too, trying to remember what season...

David, that vest is really awesome. Not sure I could pull it off myself, but I like the way it goes with the cargo pants, hehe.

Parker you should just do what I am planning to do with the look 17 jacket. Just pick up the jacket and sacrifice a few other Yohji (or maybe general clothing) purchases for a couple of months :). You have a big enough wardrobe I think that you hsouldn't need to pick up anything for a while (and you will have an awesome piece to boot!) :devil:.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads