• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
yeah thought he did but this is only @Ivwri one i saw , cotton twill with suspender buttons too and they are amazing :slayer:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I do indeed have that same pair of pants. Picked them up from wireartist and they are SS2000 as cupper said.

Great pickup indeed.

The one I am wearing in that picture is from A/W 2011. Great pants as well.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Yup, I do indeed have that same pair of pants. Picked them up from wireartist and they are SS2000 as cupper said.

Great pickup indeed.

The one I am wearing in that picture is from A/W 2011. Great pants as well.

nice to hear from naija boyyyyyy :cool:

thanks for info homie hope all is well in your hood

StevenE

Reaction score
Has any store started listing SS14 yet?
Come to think of it, I've yet to see anything online. Most places seem to be ending their sales this weekend so I expect their new season listings are ready to go.

Conduit St, unsurprisingly, has had lots of SS14 for weeks.

In other news, I just won the Simon Le Bon 80s YYPH blue wool suit that's been knocking around ebay for weeks. When first listed it was £500, but they posted it again with a £150 starting price, I put in an opening bid for just that and to my surprise was the only bidder. I was expecting to see it go for at least a little more, around the £250-300 mark, so perhaps the Duran Duran association ended up lowering the price!

Not that I'm complaining, and hey, The Chauffeur is one of the all-time great 80s b-sides. That, and I'd have been happy paying that for the jacket alone, so the pants are a bonus.

Few small holes in the sleeve, but nothing that even I couldn't fix, not that it even seems visible in the first place.

I've actually never tried to wear size 3 (the suit is marked M) yohji mainline pants before, on account of how some of the sz2 pants I own are massive enough already. From the pictures it doesn't look slim, but not overly oversized. The waist is adjustable, and of course I own a belt. 34" inseam seems manageable. For non-Yohji I usually get a 32" leg, anticipating rolling things up a little, so these will probably just require an extra roll or two. Could get them taken up also, and if it doesn't work out they're promised to a friend already.

This'll be the first time I've handled a Yohji suit from the 80s, so colour me excited on that front.

I love the chest pockets.

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is the shoulder pads, because I won't see til I try it on where they'll fall on my body - if the jacket's on the bigger side I can imagine it looking off. It's not a course of action I'm likely to take, but does anyone have experience taking the padding out (done professionally or otherwise)?

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
@Steven, a 80s Yohji blazer will have massive shoulders with the shoulder pads actually hanging " off " the shoulders almost completely. If you watch the V&A Yohji video The Poet of black ( or something like that title-wise ) it showed a AW84 YYPH catwalk, that's the kind of silhouette he created back then. The shoulders should complement the huge chest as well to give you that grand dad look. I won't change the shoulders if it's my jacket :)

#Authenticity

StevenE

Reaction score
I'm watching the video now, I can see what you mean. I embrace the padding!

I'll have a better idea, of course, once I have it in my hands. Should be soon. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a new silhouette.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
word of advice. never buy anything from 80s. =) worst decade for fashion and those shoulder pads will be impossible to wear, unless you are BIG and TALL.

davidlee388

Reaction score
@Steven If you like it, wear it. If you don't like it then don't wear it. There's no right or wrong. Every era has its place in history. My advice:- never say never and the world will be so boring if we all think the same.

Howell31

Reaction score
I work sundays and mondays at IF in soho and we've had SS14 for about two weeks now :)

some great stuff for sure. highlights include double layer, skirted shorts that fasten with little a buckle. i'd be surprised if stores like ln-cc dont pick those up too. thanks to rick owens it's a look that's kind of in atm. also a really incredible ramie blend double breasted jacket with the lining peeking out from the sleeves. matching trousers with elastic waist and silk tuxedo stripe inserts. kind of difficult to describe in words. see it to believe it ;)

Last edited:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

another budget fit
Y-3 straw hat
Ys melton wool blazer
uniqlo tee
coming soon wool-linen pants
converse

- - -

inspirational Yohji quote for the week for all you creatives:
"Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy.
At the end of the copy, you will find yourself."

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I work sundays and mondays at IF in soho and we've had SS14 for about two weeks now :)

some great stuff for sure. highlights include double layer, skirted shorts that fasten with little a buckle. i'd be surprised if stores like ln-cc dont pick those up too. thanks to rick owens it's a look that's kind of in atm. also a really incredible ramie blend double breasted jacket with the lining peeking out from the sleeves. matching trousers with elastic waist and silk tuxedo stripe inserts. kind of difficult to describe in words. see it to believe it ;)

you should post photos of the items (if you're allowed to) :)

did you guys receive this shirt ?

TroubIe

Reaction score
does anyone have experience taking the padding out (done professionally or otherwise)?

I had a Comme des Garcons Homme Plus Blazer from 1991 that had a 50cm shoulder width with alot of padding.
It was just unwearable, impossible to make look good no matter how much I played with proportions.
I decided to take out the shoulder padding, I just took a seam ripper to the inner lining of the jacket and just cut my way through until i found the pads, then cut them out. I didn't bother sewing up the lining or the inner parts either. I thought this would create a drop shoulder effect, but I guess the jacket is built with the pads in mind, so all it did was make it droop a bit but it still held its huge frame / shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads