• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could be a CS look with a few mods

This one stood out to me

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score

this is a phenomenal thread that I greatly respect, but the footwear in here is some of the worst footwear in stores.
can I recommend a couple ideas?
first, some of the (simpler) ann demeulemeester shoes and boots fit with yohji very well. same with marsell, as illustrated by a fit pic posted a couple months ago in here. many guidi and ma+ shoes/boots would also work well. maison martin margiella (not the sneakers) could aslo work. of the dr. martens you've posted, they are all awful, sorry. how so many of you can appreciate the beauty of yohji and then find ugly shoes it with is beyond me.
these could also work:
http://www.aurevoiretmerci.com/boutique/en/homme/20-diet-butcher-slim-skin-derbies.html

All the shoes you listed are "in fashion" and not timeless. They show status. When I wear my yohji I don't want the shoes to overtake my outfit. I respect well made pair of shoes and if I wanted to invest in one, would definitely be Trickers or some other English shoemaker. Also **** paying 1k for ma+ or guidi..

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the scar stich annes, the recent stuff has not been very yohji friendly. And from some of the comments on SWD it isnt really very durable as far as footwear goes.

I am not as ardent as dbk is that newer fashion items cant work. Snow actually has a pair of kriss van assche suede boots that are very lovely and not in your face that would play well with Y.

As far as status. Yohji ain't cheap :D

Still, docs + flowers = my fav shoes ive seen on SF. If the shah could let me know where to kop them...:)

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the best fits I've seen include docs (or that other brand asobu wears), supergas and converse. And I like baller footwear :satisfied:

I don't think I've ever seen a piece of overpowering footwear in a yohji show. For example, Ann always has some great boots (riders, combats, vitellos) worked into her runway shows but it works in that context.

davidlee388

Reaction score

All the shoes you listed are "in fashion" and not timeless. They show status. When I wear my yohji I don't want the shoes to overtake my outfit. I respect well made pair of shoes and if I wanted to invest in one, would definitely be Trickers or some other English shoemaker. Also **** paying 1k for ma+ or guidi..

As much as Kiko and I differ in our aesthetics and how to wear our Yohji, I endorse fully his view of wearing these so called " baller " shoes with Yohji. To me wearing Yohji is all about comfort and a sense of freedom, so I will embrace these footwear if they enhance/complement that feeling but for now, YY shoes, Y-3 and DM are good in my world thank you.

What I don't get is the one-sided opinion without anything to back it up. So perhaps Magic1 should post a YY fit here complete with his badass shoes so we can all learn and admire with envy and show us what we've missed.

Don't tell us, SHOW us.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
idk about that first one but ya i can see the other two

what are they?

Arche

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I agree with you about the first ones. The second one is a boot from a German company called Hobo shoes. I think it's called a Charly after Chaplin. The last one is a pair of vintage boots from I think the 20's or 30's that I saw on Ebay. My personal preference would be for a nice pair of vintage cap-toe boots from the early 20th century. They just have a great shape, although I've been told that they are often quite narrow for contemporary feet.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

Still, docs + flowers = my fav shoes ive seen on SF. If the shah could let me know where to kop them...:)

straight from the DMUSA website ;)

or that other brand asobu wears

you mean the OG docs aka solovair ?

Don't tell us, SHOW us.

well i think there were some examples in this thread if you go back to when Ivwri was posting, pre-papa days :D

he has worn yohji with margiela 400$ sneakers, ann d $500 sneakers, marsell $6-800 shoes that are quite bulbous, and yohji sneakers that are made of cotton costing $600 so not really that far from paying another 400 for proper leather quality boots in guidi/m.a+ if you ask me

also i posted a fit in ann sneakers, one in alden botos, and also hakamas + rick owen dunks though i sold them immediately because i hate rick quality :eek:

another example, wearing y's + yyph and a pair of stat-ment voluminous trousers (sup snow!) with carpe boots

not suggesting that i or ivwri paid full retail (though he might have, no idea to be honest) but the prices of yohji footwear are just not that far off from what you see in, for example, the official baller footwear thread.

i think it does come down once again to whatever you're comfortable in, as you said Mr. David !

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads