• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

dantebykiko

Reaction score
lovely coat, not sure about the t-shirt underneath. maybe plainer one would leave the coat do the talking.
wink.gif

ps: i'm going overdraft because of my this aw04 blazer... found it for amazing price and its the one that i like the most from all. if anyone came to find the pants up for sale, please let me know =))

Last edited:

Guy Burgess

Reaction score

That's a very good fit my friend so need to post more! I am an all-black disciple lol. So I take it the pants are SS12? You are based in Australia right? Since the seasons there are the opposite to our Northern Hemisphere ones does it mean the current season is SS12 there ( hence no sale? )? Which Napolean Jacket did you try on? Hope it's not the Look 32......:confused:

Thanks David. It was look 32, but maybe they had me try the 1 - that's the only reason I can think it fit me like a traditional jacket. I mean the fit was really good, but not very Yohji and didn't fit with how I want to dress; It can't have been a 2! Did you buy the jacket?

I am in Australia and they definitely had some of the FW 12 stuff in, including the heavy wool blue checked suit, which I've spoilered below. I have to confess I didn't look as closely as I should have because I was thinking more about summer. I'll go in again in the next week or so and update you all on what they bought. Also, I've only been here a few months so I'm not sure whether Eastern Market even has sales. I definitely haven' t seen anything on sale when I've been anyway. If any of you are ever in this part of the world you need to make a trip to the shop, the people there are absolutely wonderful, I feel lucky to live/work so close to it.

Yohji_FW12d.jpg

Both those pieces are beautiful! Do you mind if I ask where you picked them up from?
I've actually been browsing rakuten and yahoo auctions the past few weeks looking for some simpler starter pieces, such as black or navy jackets + pants. I haven't had much luck though, and I'm starting to think my imagination is lacking, or I don't have enough familiarity with each season/line to look past the ****** photos, moth eaten garments and short sleeves...

Which 2 pieces did you mean? The only thing Yohji in that picture are the trousers, which I got at Eastern Market in Melbourne, Australia.

davidlee388

Reaction score

Thanks Guy, that AW07 is epic indeed, Wire.Artist's stuff ( bought it off him, among many other killer pieces ) are always top picks from Runway which is also my " hobby " ( of course for pieces that will work personally ).

Anyway I have indeed bought the SS12 Look 32 in sz 2. Bought it with my sister's help in HK Joyce's sale. I did try that in sz 2 and 3 during my holiday in March and found I was sort of in between sizes. Sz 2 " looks " better but 3 " feels " better in chest and armholes. Since then I've gotten trimmer thanks to the gym and sz 2 the only piece left in the sale so I pulled the trigger. The open front style gives some leeway in fit hopefully but I haven't got it yet, will be in 3 months' time in my next holiday.

Yes I know you are in Australia, you saw Wire there doing his project? He said EM was a great shop.... but you implied that it is selling SS12 AND AW12 at the same time? Pretty unusual esp both at retail prices.

davidlee388

Reaction score

Mr David that's fantastic !
hmm, do i see all-black docs ?? i was thinking of getting a pair

Thanks Mr Shah :)

Those DM are called 1460 Mono, all back finish including the soles, stitches and fabric pulls. They are ( virtually ) my universal shoes to go with most of my YY elegant, less edgy fits. £100 very well spent I have to say :)

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
funnily enough I've been trying to buy a pair of the all white 3 ups but they never have my size in! I absolutely love the mono docs.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i knew they looked familiar haha ! they're even cheaper here. no clue about sizing, i'll assume TTS :D

Guy Burgess

Reaction score

Thanks Guy, that AW07 is epic indeed, Wire.Artist's stuff ( bought it off him, among many other killer pieces ) are always top picks from Runway which is also my " hobby " ( of course for pieces that will work personally ).
Anyway I have indeed bought the SS12 Look 32 in sz 2. Bought it with my sister's help in HK Joyce's sale. I did try that in sz 2 and 3 during my holiday in March and found I was sort of in between sizes. Sz 2 " looks " better but 3 " feels " better in chest and armholes. Since then I've gotten trimmer thanks to the gym and sz 2 the only piece left in the sale so I pulled the trigger. The open front style gives some leeway in fit hopefully but I haven't got it yet, will be in 3 months' time in my next holiday.
Yes I know you are in Australia, you saw Wire there doing his project? He said EM was a great shop.... but you implied that it is selling SS12 AND AW12 at the same time? Pretty unusual esp both at retail prices.

I definitely tried a 1 then, I'm excited to see your 2 in action! I did see Wire doing his project., I posted about it in here at the time, including a couple of really amazing pictures. Strangely I saw him setting it up and thought "damn that guy looks great in yohji" and didn't know it was him until later.

Yep, they definitely have both for sale at the same time. Maybe it's the southern hemisphere thing? We're coming up to summer but they can't delay getting in the new fall collection. For example, I know the new Fall Paul Harnden collection is on its way from England and all the heavy jackets are going to arrive late spring. A quirk of the seasons I guess. I know a lot of other stores here do have sales - there were a load very recently, but I definitely didn't see any sales racks/reductions in anything from the last time I visited. Not related to Yohji but I also bought an Elena Dawson jacket and paid full price for it, even though I know it was around a year ago so maybe they don't do sales. Who knows!

davidlee388

Reaction score

i knew they looked familiar haha ! they're even cheaper here. no clue about sizing, i'll assume TTS :D

Pretty much TTS, I take sz 7 with insoles. Trouble is I should wear sz 6.5 really but very rarely available. Also the Mono are quite tough to break in ( but then last forever ) with very wide ankles for my skinny legs so I seldom lace to the top because I can't! Instead I have to overlap the 2 sides to get a snug fit :( Hope this helps. The Y's x DM I had on with the knit coat have narrower toe box, far superior leather and side zips as the YY ( er...Y's ) twist lol.

Still great to go with YY at a fraction of the real deal :)

Last edited:

myname

Reaction score
First, thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread - I've been reading for a while now, but have just been shy to post myself. Until now that is...

Not to rub it in slstr, but that coat is indeed killer. I had a chance to buy it (when I bought the sweater underneath it - with a slight variation - in my version the body is the same but the neck and border are in green) but passed on it - to my regret (of course). I know everyone thinks of black when they think Yohji, but I always love his colour pieces more. Perhaps it's just because black doesn't look good on me (in my mind at least) but I think Yohji's use of colour is always optimal (he somehow gets just the right colour based on the cut - if that makes sense).

Speaking of, I'll be posting some black coloured pieces from A/W 2007 for sale on here in a week or so. It was also one of my favourite seasons (actually that year was probally my favourite - both S/S and A/W 2007 were fantastic) but again, I have an issue with wearing black now...

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
dibs if there its naked girl long coat
tounge.gif
i will be sending over my kidney for it. speaking of knit, something fantastic arrived yesterday. ss94, 100% silk suit. the patches all over the jacket are made by weaving different ripped fabrics into the silk. the texture its absolutely amazing. wearing with also new ss11 long polo shirt.

davidlee388

Reaction score
Very interesting fabric, looks like linen rather than silk.

Wanna see how amazing with the whole suit on
rolleyes.gif

Edit:- how can you keep finding these Runway pieces on auctions? I must be looking at the wrong place...at least I am not a fan of light colour blazers/knits in this case
crackup[1].gif
since I don't look right wearing them.

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
this suit has quite a history. i always wanted it but because of london's weather i didn't bought it. the only person that pop up in my mind that can wear it in awesome way was parker, i passed the link to him and he bought it. asobu told me that its been on yahoo for years... with starting price of 60k? and until few months when the price was around 16k... unfortunately the pants didn't fit parker and ended up coming to me as part of my small archive. it won't get lots of wear as its special suit for me. my girlfriend its wearing it today, hopefully i will be able to take it back
facepalm.gif

the rest of my pieces are bought with good timing and lots of luck.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads