• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Www.sartorialsolutions.com

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(A Harris @ 28 Sep. 2004, 3:44) Seriously though Steve, I was in Neimans a few weeks ago, and their Kitons are almost all $195-$225 at the moment. Darn that Euro...
Ummm Andrew... Nice to blame the Euro on EVERYTHING (and trust me it does hurt) but just out of curiosity..what currency do you think Chuck and I use?
dozingoff.gif
JJF
Philippines Pesos?
biggrin.gif
Jon.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, Andrew, then I stand (unhappily) corrected. $195-225- that's a lot...
I'd better enjoy this, I think it may be the only time ever that I knew something about men's retail that Steve didn't
smile.gif
And yes, that is a lot. I think my eyes may have bugged out.

JohnG

Reaction score
Mr Andrew,

I just got done emailing Chuck about an item he has on auction. He siad to tell you Mr Franklin will arive at your house by tomoorow afternoon sir. < impish grin>

I have 3 of his 4 Seven Fold from last year and they are fantastic btw. The only tie I have ever worn where a gentleman came over just to compliment me on my tie.

I have a roundish face and mostly wear point ( European point mostly ) collars. Do i underatnd correctly that I should lean toward the campagnas then for the tighter or smaler knots please?

For nights out about town I occasionally like a tie bar ( A Grandaughter type present when she needs the fast and sure thing to buy me. She has good taste though. Thanks wife). Some ties dont play well with a tie bar and point collars.

Will the Como work as well please?

I have been putting off really reading in detail at his new website. ( still waiting for the Sartorialsolution website to no longer be a "work in progress" too ) Thanks for the insight Mr H.

Respectfully,
John

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I have never seen a Talbott 7-fold with a regular price other than $195. I was even lucky enough to get one on clearance for $39. I have seen Kiton ties, though, for $155 (Ben Silver), and elsewhere, $175 and $195.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A campagna will tie a smaller knot.

The Euro currently SUCKS.

And NickM has an interesting point that I share - While I like the idea of an unlined seven fold and the way you can see how it was made exactly, for practical purposes I prefer the Double-4 fold (Como series) now that I've settled on exactly the right type of lining to give it the resilience and perfect dimple that I want. Customers are split, some like only the unlined style, others like both, some like the lined.

Will continue doing both and hope to have another 40 patterns or so in 6-8 weeks.

jester

Reaction score
These look really interesting, and I think I'll give one (each) a try.

I have two seven-fold ties. One is a Kiton, and it's quite wonderful; the other is from the defunct Harrison James (don't know who made it for them), and does not tie a very good knot. The whole thing is just too mushy, so you get neither a good dimple, nor any crispness at the top or bottom. Just doesn't hold its shape.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread, I'm dragging this one out of the archives to add my seal of approval. Of course, I am not associated with Carlo Franco or Chuck, but merely a damn satisfied repeat customer. I recently chose a Carlo Franco Signature tie for myself (pattern S13) and wore it for the first time today. (I've given one to my father as a gift last year, and it quickly became his favorite.) The weight of the tie is very reassuring, substantial enough to hold its own against a wool overcoat but fine enough to be perfectly comfortable with a cashmere sweater. The construction is superior; I have models by Ben Silver and Sulka that pale in comparison. The pattern itself is beautiful. The photograph I linked to above does not do justice to the pattern and material. Dead on, the colors are very subtle, but as the tie moves and as light interacts with the fabric, the blues become more radiant and the background shifts between purple and deep plum. It's really something, and I'll admit that I spent more than a few minutes twisting it and moving it around just to watch the colors dance. In short, I couldn't be happier with this tie, and I encourage anyone who hasn't done so already to check out Carlo Franco.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jason (blush) That is actually one of my favorite ties and it is very hard to get a 2 dimensional image to capture what I love about it. I wore it out to dinner last week after a dear friend had a book signing and had a lot of questions about it. We're working up some new patterns this weekend after we get some new patterns in tomorrow morning and I will definately be reordering this pattern as is and perhaps in some other colors. The effect that you love is the result of playing around with the warp of the tie - when you bend/twist (or knot) it the color changes a bit. Jill and I like to look over a weave in every lighting situation because with most of our patterns the light changes the look. The one you mentioned is a nice quiet plum color in bright sunlight but when you wear it at night - say in a dimly lit restaurant, the blue comes out. In fact ...it's right there in my avatar. Thanks for the kind words, we've got some interesting things coming including (finally) the (hopefully) final prototype on our new dress shirts tomorrow. LOL - hey J, can you edit the thread title to the correct url :) ? www.carlofranco.com Kind regards, Jill & Chuck

demo5

Reaction score
Can someone give me a rundown of the seven vs. the double four in terms of construction techniques? I have both, and I know the seven is one piece while the four has a lining, but is there any difference as to how they are made?

Jill

Reaction score
Can someone give me a rundown of the seven vs. the double four in terms of construction techniques?  I have both, and I know the seven is one piece while the four has a lining, but is there any difference as to how they are made?
Chuck has a graphic illustration somewhere (I'll look for it on the server and get back to you). I think Jonathan (FIH) has put one together also.

But to answer your question. . .

Since the double 4-folds are lined, that means they also have an extra layer of silk (to cover the lining). Therefore, to fold that 7 times would be TOOoo much of a good thing. The 7-fold is an assymetrical folding pattern, overlapping the layers. Wherease the 4-fold is folded symmetrically, with all folds meeting at the center. Kinda hard to describe verbally, but that's the sum of it. I'll go look for the pix now.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked (Monday), Kiton ties were exactly $200 at Bergdorf Goodman.

jtgudbln

Reaction score
I've got the bug and ordered my first campagna series last week. I kick the delivery man's ass evertime he comes to the office and doesn't have my tie. -Jim-
sad.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads