• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Writing a good cover letter

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can you guys please provide some websites, books, or personal advice on how to write a good cover letter? Thanks.

w.mj

Reaction score
Date Name Address Dear Person: Paragraph 1: it was great talking to you the other day, really like your firm, cite specifics Para 2: Work experience that makes me the best candidate for the job Para 3: how my academic experience will be useful in a business setting and how it wasn't just four years of me getting hammered Para 4: I hope you'll consider me for the position, if I can send along anything else (recommendations, sample projects, pieces of work) I'd be pleased to do so Sincerely, Conne Keep it one page in length. All that said, I'm fairly sure that no one actually reads cover letters. but you might consider beginning with this: http://www.bartleby.com/141/

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugh, I've been helping you all evening! Even in my semi-inebirated state. Geez-oh-pete you need more help? I'm a doggamn righting teacher.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
Dear Person:

Paragraph 1: it was great talking to you the other day, really like your firm, cite specifics
Para 2: Work experience that makes me the best candidate for the job
Para 3: how my academic experience will be useful in a business setting and how it wasn't just four years of me getting hammered
Para 4: I hope you'll consider me for the position, if I can send along anything else (recommendations, sample projects, pieces of work) I'd be pleased to do so

Sincerely,
Conne

It's a good thing you have to write all this and not say it in person. I don't think anyone would be able to keep a straight face when it comes to paragraph 3.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
Date

Name
Address

Dear Person:

Paragraph 1: it was great talking to you the other day, really like your firm, cite specifics
Para 2: Work experience that makes me the best candidate for the job
Para 3: how my academic experience will be useful in a business setting and how it wasn't just four years of me getting hammered
Para 4: I hope you'll consider me for the position, if I can send along anything else (recommendations, sample projects, pieces of work) I'd be pleased to do so

Sincerely,
Conne

Keep it one page in length. All that said, I'm fairly sure that no one actually reads cover letters.

but you might consider beginning with this:

http://www.bartleby.com/141/

This is pretty good, but I was taught that when it comes to paragraphs two and three they can be swapped based upon which is stronger. I.e. lead with your better attribute. If your education is stronger put it in paragraph two, if it's your work experience the order provided above is preferable.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Ugh, I've been helping you all evening! Even in my semi-inebirated state. Geez-oh-pete you need more help? I'm a doggamn righting teacher.
The only "righting" you'll be doing is tomorrow's e-mail to your students explaining a sudden illness. They will be able to smell the beer through their Intertubez.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The only "righting" you'll be doing is tomorrow's e-mail to your students explaining a sudden illness. They will be able to smell the beer through their Intertubez.
goddamn this dogfisch head IPA is good stuff Anyway my drunken edits to your letter were still better than your sober ones, so fail to you asswipe

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Dear Lady Gaga,

My name is Mike. Like you, I am very confused about whether I was meant to be a boy or a girl. I would be a great errand boy for you because I am willing to do anything for cheap and you can pass me around your hermaphroditic circle. Also, I will keep you up on the latest from Huffington Post.

Keep on turnin',

Mike

corporate111

Reaction score
I always finish letters like that with:

Thanking you in anticipation.

Yours sincerely
My Name
or
Yours faithfully
My Name

If you start your letter with Dear Sir or Dear Madam etc as the salutation, then finish your letter with "Yours faithfully", but if the salutation is Dear Mr or Dear Mrs, then finish it with "Yours sincerely"

Good luck with your application.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads