• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you wear this watch?

swblueblood

Reaction score

"I'm offended that you choose to wear a watch without a mechanical movement in it. It's a sign of disrespect."  Are you for real?

I will never wear a quartz watch. I had a friend of my mother's who was a Swiss master watchmaker. He taught me the beauty of mechanical movements. There are some high cost quartz watches, but they in the long run do not retain the value of a quartz watch. To me, a good mechanical watch displays the soul of its maker while a quartz is souless creation.

ADDendum: If you do like quartz watches, make sure that it does not look like it came from a cracker jacks box. I have seen quartz watchs with beautiful design. As I said, I prefer mechanical to quartz. It's like the Ford vs Chevy debate. SW vs Colt(for those of you involved in the shooting sports), or what whisky (whiskey) you enjoy. Without variance, we would still be trying to create the first campfire.

Last edited:

jt10000

Reaction score
Not necessarily. A good mechanical will work whenever you need it. A quartz watch will only work whenever it has batteries. I have a drawer full of quartz watches that have dead batteries. Mechanicals are more practical for me.

Where are you? Are you working on a ship at sea, or in a remote jungle or something?

If you get back to civilization, you may actually be able to have some of the batteries in those watches replaced. Or so I've heard.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where are you? Are you working on a ship at sea, or in a remote jungle or something? 

If you get back to civilization,
you may actually be able to have some of the batteries in those watches replaced. Or so I've heard.

"Location: Chicago, IL"

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
I'd suggest the OP to look into Citizen Eco-Drive or Seiko Kinetic models in the $300~$500 range (his updated price range). They are widely available so you can easily check them out in person in local shops. With these watches, you don't need to worry about batteries for a very long time (that is, until the capacitors eventually dies, which could take over 10~20 years), and they are generally pretty good quality for the price.

If you're interested in inexpensive mechanical, perhaps take a look at the Chinese brand Sea-Gull. They are not bad at all and there are a few models that could function as a dress watch.

Last edited:

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

On that note, how do people feel about Skagen? For less than $100, I feel pretty good about this watch as an introductory piece on a budget. Somewhere down the road I will probably pick up something more casual as well.

This watch is very sleek and stylish. I would buy this for $100

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

That watch looks like a kinda take-off on the current Longines St Imier range with the pink gold and stainless steel and crocodile strap (the white face version). I know the Longines is $3600 and the one you looking at is $100, but maybe you can compare what the real deal looks like. and work from there.
This one has a metal strap and the rose gold

These 2 have the leather straps and are just stainless steel. and are a lot cheaper
cos there is no gold.

Oh I forgot to mention, these watches have something none of the others have, that is VHA (very high accuracy) typically +- 2 seconds per year
I find that mine is usually out by about 5 seconds in 7 years.

Trdesign

Reaction score
also the watch you posted is a womans watch, and the crystal is made of mineral which means it will scratch ans shatter easily. something to consider.

swblueblood

Reaction score

What does spending >5% of your gross take home on a watch say about you?
The rest of that is just :facepalm: to the Nth degree. It's fine if you like expensive stuff, but justifying it as a moral or practical necessity is just absurd.

To buy a good or expensive watch takes a simple formula. Savings x Time x Patience = Watch. For years I wore a watch given to me by my mother(a Wyler) which I still own. I used the same formula to purchase my OMAS fountain pen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics