• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workout throughout day vs. one big workout

AB01

Reaction score
So say I wake up and do 22 pushups. Then again later around lunch I do 20 more. Then in the afternoon more, and then a couple times before bed. That's about 100 pushups. Add in a few sets of chin-ups and pull-ups throughout the day when I walk past the doorway with the chinup bar. Maybe some curls and a 20-min bike ride in the evening. (This is a home workout, btw. With limited equipment.)

How does this compare to me fatiguing my muscles with trying to get this all done within a one hour timeframe?

Is it necessary to workout all at one time, or can I just be active throughout the day? I know the muscle fibres have to break and then rest to rebuild stronger and bigger. Do they not do this if I work out at different times? If the answer is no, then what can be the benefit to the active lifestyle (with the same amount of reps as one big workout)? Weights becoming only a form of light cardio then?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
If your muscles aren't being worked until fatigue, why would they respond with growth?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
If your muscles aren't being worked until fatigue, why would they respond with growth?

Because fatigue isn't a stimulus per se.

fossil8412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

Do you know the physiological processes of muscle growth? If not, don't speak.

To achieve "growth," you need to work them to their maximum capacity in, approximately, a fairly intense 1-hour session.

fossil8412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
So say I wake up and do 22 pushups. Then again later around lunch I do 20 more. Then in the afternoon more, and then a couple times before bed. That's about 100 pushups. Add in a few sets of chin-ups and pull-ups throughout the day when I walk past the doorway with the chinup bar. Maybe some curls and a 20-min bike ride in the evening. (This is a home workout, btw. With limited equipment.)

How does this compare to me fatiguing my muscles with trying to get this all done within a one hour timeframe?

Is it necessary to workout all at one time, or can I just be active throughout the day? I know the muscle fibres have to break and then rest to rebuild stronger and bigger. Do they not do this if I work out at different times? If the answer is no, then what can be the benefit to the active lifestyle (with the same amount of reps as one big workout)? Weights becoming only a form of light cardio then?

To answer your question, when done properly, moderate resistance exercise will have little causal effect on muscle growth. However, as long as used sparingly (to prevent overtraining), it can aid in strength and thus increase your capacity for higher volume, larger weight, or for a more intense session, which will spur muscle growth.

Stick to tearing up those muscle fibers in 1 session though. Look up some 3 day, 4 day, or even 5 day splits.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh great...here we go. Another new guy know-it-all versus our resident know-it all. How why manages to attract these people, I'll never know.

fossil8412

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Oh great...here we go. Another new guy know-it-all versus our resident know-it all. How why manages to attract these people, I'll never know.

I'm new to these forums, but not to what I'm speaking on.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fossil8412
Do you know the physiological processes of muscle growth? If not, don't speak.

To achieve "growth," you need to work them to their maximum capacity in, approximately, a fairly intense 1-hour session.

This isn't always the case. Some people get their best gains when dividing their volume over two sessions a day as opposed to one.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

eh... but we all agree that fatigue correlates with intensity. intensity = demand on muscles, you have demand on the body and the body adapts. Oh and don't say correlation =/ causation, PSYCH!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fossil8412

confused.gif

AB01

Reaction score
I'll try it today. I'll do sets of 20 until I can't do more (or should these be sets of 12?). Then I'll do pushups again at night.

I used to have a gym membership where I only had an hour to work out. I'd drive there and drive back only one time per day.
Now that I don't have a gym membership, I have resorted to working out at home, which means I can work out around meals and so on.

Perhaps I could do pushups now until fatigue. Then curls until fatigue another part of the day. Then pullups another part of the day. Or do I have to squeeze all the different workouts/muslce-groups into the same hour too?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
I'll try it today. I'll do sets of 20 until I can't do more (or should these be sets of 12?). Then I'll do pushups again at night.

I used to have a gym membership where I only had an hour to work out. I'd drive there and drive back only one time per day.
Now that I don't have a gym membership, I have resorted to working out at home, which means I can work out around meals and so on.

Perhaps I could do pushups now until fatigue. Then curls until fatigue another part of the day. Then pullups another part of the day. Or do I have to squeeze all the different workouts/muslce-groups into the same hour too?

ditch the curls. Do you have a pullup bar at home? An easy way to get better at pullups is to simply do five pullups every time you walk past it.

AB01

Reaction score
Yeah, I've installed a pullup bar through the doorway, so that's what I've been doing. Only wide enough for shoulder width apart though.
I used to have huge biceps last year, but lost them. That's why I am doing the curls.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
This isn't always the case. Some people get their best gains when dividing their volume over two sessions a day as opposed to one.

Those guys tend to be elite athletes, not homeboy here doing bodyweight pushups.

Just do a single session, as has been advised already. It's more efficient, you'll get it out of the way, and you won't be sweating all the time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghahstedfgh