• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working in a dirty warehouse - Advice Please!

MikeSwartz

Reaction score
Hello!

My two brothers my father and I work at a small family business here in rural Michigan. We run an office/warehouse and it is not uncommon for me to go from running the fork lift and man handling dirty boxes to doing paperwork, answering the phone, and meeting with customers.

I am struggling to find a good style for this environment. My family simply relies on TSC for all their clothing needs (that's the Tractor Supply Co) but I would like to ask SF for any suggestions.

I'm guessing a solid pair of work boots (Katahdins, Iron Rangers, 1000 Miles) and some good denim will work well, but I was hoping to get some more advice, especially for seasonal ideas. Good stuff for summer? Shirts other than plaid flannel? Pants other than denim? What kinds of jackets? Types of sweaters? Alternatives to work boots? Any resources I should take a look at? Any retailers I should look at?

It helps if it will look good getting a little dirty!

Thanks a ton for all your help.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ For starters, don't listen to the above poster. I think it's great that you are still considering working on your style, even within the confines of a job where the dress is usually an afterthought, and is more functional than anything else.

You have a good idea about getting some solid work boots, I would also recommend taking a look at a pair of Alden 403 Indy boots. They're very comfortable, they'll never go out of style, and they're a perfect fit for your environment.

For some good pants other than denim, check out Epaulet's Rivet chinos. For your purposes, I would recommend any of the pairs in the 10oz Duck cloth (you can tell which ones are which in the description), because you will need something a little thicker and tougher than just a regular pair of chinos:

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Brands-cln-Epaulet-cln-EP's-Rivet-Chinos/Categories

Last edited:

MikeSwartz

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Beatlegeuse for the suggestions. I was struggling to come up with some alternatives to jeans and those look like they'll fit the bill nicely. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on some Indy's as well.

I think there's definitely a way to look good in rugged durable clothes without ending up looking like an L.L. Bean model, glad you helped out!

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Hey Mike - Indy boots sound great, but don't forget that (I think) you need to rotate them. Don't wear them every day. There was a poster here a while back complaining about how quickly his Indy boots wore out (not just the soles, but the stitching on the heel, if I remember correctly... and I think he did this to two pairs in a row). He also said that he wore the same pair of boots every day, which anyone will tell you is bad for your shoes.

Maybe this is obvious to you! Just checkin'!

Last edited:

jammyo40

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider the Indy boots to be a "work" boot, but I would say that kudu and shell cordovan can certainly take a beating.

I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on some Indy's as well.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:

pelagicus

Reaction score
I think you're on the right track.

Though you don't list them, you mention similar boots, so I thought I'd add that I thought that my Epaulet x Thorogood horeshide boots might take a little abuse, but that bike commuting gouged them up fast.

Might check with owners of whatever boot about how well they hold up to an actual work - I'd be curious about the answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads