• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Won these on Ebay - Are the C&J?

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
They are C&J

FYI, they run quite long... and are stocked in the Rhinelander mansion if you are interested. Think 337 long and narrow, though the last is a bit different. I believe its a bit slimmer through the quarters.

nct

Received my Tellmans today. I only have one other pair of C&Js which, as previously mentioned, I bought at full retail from the C&J store at T&A. While there I did look at the Handgrades as well - the 337 last just didn't do it for me - so I bought the Benchgrade Westfields. Also I wanted a brouged shoe and the HG Clifford's aren't available in a dark brown. (I wouldn't think of going with a black shoe
smile.gif
)

Compared the Tellmans to the Westfields. The nail pattern and the interior construction is identical. The sales manager was educting me as to the differences between the HG and BG and two of the signs she mentioned were the nicking of the heel and full leather lining on the interior. (The BG soles are not lined in the midfoot and forfoot.) The Tellmans have both these qualities so I'm guessing they are maufactured to specs slighly below HG.

Overall - I'm ecstatic about getting these BNIB for under $180 (shipped).

Rajesh

rajesh06

Reaction score
Forgot to mention - that I got a 9.5E (UK) in the Westfields and a 10D (US) in the Polos. The Polos are a tad bigger (but not unacceptably by any means) - because they are made on a longer last with a sligtly squared toe. But that is my size conversion info for anyone interested.

Flip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
He probably re-used the wrong "base" or "template" page, which had preentered infromation. I've done it myself on my auctions. GVH is very legitimate, but it helps to know the product before you bid.

NoVaguy,

I need little help understanding this and sorry to be a pain in the know what.

I received two more responses from GVH saying they checked out the Carlsons and they are indeed made in England.

Any chance these are the older models before they made the switch to Italy?

If not how can they look at these shoes and come back and say they're English?

Thanks for your time.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flip
NoVaguy,

I received two more responses from GVH saying they checked out the Carlsons and they are indeed made in England.

Thanks for your time.

Ask the seller to post a picture of the insole. IIRC, the Polo shoes made in England are stamped "Benchmade in England".

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flip
NoVaguy,

Thanks for your time.

This is the carlson on polo's page.

http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

If you click on the picture, and look at the insole, you can see "Made in Italy".

I'm pretty sure that that if the name of the shoe is "Carlson", it's made in Italy.

HOWEVER, there is another possibility. It might be the Darlton/Marlow.

Which is an identical looking shoe, only made in England and a much better shoe.

Edit: If they keep telling you that the shoe is made in England, ask them if it has metal eyelets. If they say yes, it might be the Darlton/Marlow, in the wrong box. (the Carlson does not have metal eyelets).

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the carlson on polo's page.

If you click on the picture, and look at the insole, you can see "Made in Italy".

I'm pretty sure that that if the name of the shoe is "Carlson", it's made in Italy.

HOWEVER, there is another possibility. It might be the Darlton/Marlow.

Which is an identical looking shoe, only made in England and a much better shoe.

Edit: If they keep telling you that the shoe is made in England, ask them if it has metal eyelets. If they say yes, it might be the Darlton/Marlow, in the wrong box. (the Carlson does not have metal eyelets).

GVH has been known to mislabel shoes before and sell C&J for riduculously low prices. You may wish to tread carefully and ask NoVaguy's more subtle question about the metal eyelets. I believe GVH will also accept returns if he misrepresents an item.

billiebob

Reaction score
Or maybe this is the new, Made in England Carlson by the mysterious new manufacturer? Just from the picture, this brown Carlson from GVH looks much better quality than the Carlsons I've seen and handled Made in Italy. MAybe it's new. It doesn't have that Darlton shape, however, the Carlson toe is is too tall. It's definitely a different shape.

Markings in my brown darltons are as follows:

ALM46120 11D
118693/40127

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Or maybe this is the new, Made in England Carlson by the mysterious new manufacturer? Just from the picture, this brown Carlson from GVH looks much better quality than the Carlsons I've seen and handled Made in Italy. MAybe it's new. It doesn't have that Darlton shape, however, the Carlson toe is is too tall. It's definitely a different shape.

Markings in my brown darltons are as follows:

ALM46120 11D
118693/40127

GVH does stock pictures, so who know's what they've actually got. Plus, they're selling something like 3 trillion shoes a week on discount. I find it much more reasonable to believe that GVH made a mistake (either in identifying the shoes origin, or in identifying the shoes themself) rather than that there is some new, mysterious, manufacturer making Polo shoes with the same model name as a shoe known to be made in Italy.

Flip

Reaction score
GVH does stock pictures, so who know's what they've actually got. Plus, they're selling something like 3 trillion shoes a week on discount. I find it much more reasonable to believe that GVH made a mistake (either in identifying the shoes origin, or in identifying the shoes themself) rather than that there is some new, mysterious, manufacturer making Polo shoes with the same model name as a shoe known to be made in Italy.

Boy I couldn't agree more with everything you said above NoVaguy.

Thinman, NoVaguy and billiebob,

Thanks a ton for the responses. It's a big help since I'm receiving such mixed information from GVH on different shoes but I mean it in a good frustrated way. They are a great company and I've purchased a few shoes from them in the past.

This started with me asking about one pair of Polo shoes that they said were made in China and then with a completely different pair they said it wasn't cordovan but when I pressed them they finally checked and said they were. Now finally this Carlson issue because I'm definitely referring to the ones on the Polo site that say made in Italy.

It's really frustrating when they imply they've checked the Carlsons and say they're made in England. Puts me in a position of calling them a liar and I've thought about just returning them but seems crazy to pay shipping both ways when I know it is going to be "made in Italy".

Please trust me I'm not trying to make any issue with them and really hate hassling you guys with the questions. I'm just really after the Polo's that are made by CJ because I've had such good luck with CJ fitting well.

I'm going to take one more run at them to make sure they've checked on the shoes.

Thanks again for the help.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Straight from GVH:
The item is made in England and the holes are leather.
I seriously don't know where they're getting this "Made in England" thing from...but it's definitely not mislabeled C&J Darlton or anything.

Eskie

Reaction score
I bought a pair in black from GVH, and they are made in Italy. If you go to the polo site, they even identify the Carlson as italian made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads