• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

DC Office Hack

Reaction score

chrisefi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile chromexcel boots in Cordovan color. They're about 100 wears old. They have some scuffs/scratches/wear that are lighter colors that I'd like to smooth out and would love to do a bit of waterproofing on them as well. I applied SnoSeal last year this time when they were new and nothing since. How do I care for these? Do I brush them? Saphir Reno them? In what order? Then how to waterproof? SnoSeal was okay. Would this Obernaufs LP stuff be better? What's the order of process here? Do I need to use a wax to even the color back out?

JjasonL

Reaction score

Hey guys,

I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile chromexcel boots in Cordovan color. They're about 100 wears old. They have some scuffs/scratches/wear that are lighter colors that I'd like to smooth out and would love to do a bit of waterproofing on them as well. I applied SnoSeal last year this time when they were new and nothing since. How do I care for these? Do I brush them? Saphir Reno them? In what order? Then how to waterproof? SnoSeal was okay. Would this Obernaufs LP stuff be better? What's the order of process here? Do I need to use a wax to even the color back out?

Depending on the color, you have a couple options. Most scratches and scuffs will go away when you apply obenaufs and buff. But if you want it to look new, you can apply some cordovan colored polish over the layer of obenaufs. Dont know about sno sneal bc ive never used it before.

cthip

Reaction score

Then how to waterproof? SnoSeal was okay. Would this Obernaufs LP stuff be better?

I've used both and highly prefer Obenauf's LP over SnoSeal for my 1Ks. Apply it the same way as SnoSeal, just rub it on lightly with bare hands. Your body heat will melt the Obenauf's, and so I didn't find that any additional heat was necessary for Obenauf's. Brushing wasn't necessary either, just wipe off any excess for a sort of satin-shine.

I bet that's good enough. If you find you want more shine or color after that by all means use the wax or polish of your choice, but it's probably not necessary. I've never found waxes or polishes to stick to or soak into chromexcel very well, so I usually don't bother.

I do sometimes use Meltonian Delicate Cream, but don't really feel it adds much over the Obenauf's alone. I mostly just use it because I already have it on hand, so might as well.

Last edited:

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score

Rowans today for the second day of fall rain in SoCal. Got these back in September from STP for a trip to Montana. The wedge sole isn't for everyone but these boots are like walking on clouds.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what are the preferred soles for these if you want to be able to handle inclement weather? vibram commando?

disregard. i see my question was answered. vibram raptor it is.

(why can't we delete posts) :brick:

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score
Getting a D, when you are at a minimum an E fitting sounds wrong to me.

Why not go to a retailer and try on various sizes and widths ?

http://dms.wolverineworldwide.com/S...&store=WBOT&city=washington&region=DC&attr=53

I just assume they don't carry wides, although I confess that I haven't asked. It is almost always the case that B & M operations only carry D fittings. I'll make some calls.

If they only carry D fitting, you will at least be able to assess those and get a feel for the lengthes. You could always order a couple of pairs of boots via Nordstrom, who have a good return policy.

grouse

Reaction score
New here; I'm going to be purchasing these boots in the coming few weeks or so. The things I'm curious about are boot oil and Sno-Seal. When you first get the boots, do you apply both, or just one or the other? If you apply both, does the order in which they are applied matter, and if so, how long should I wait between applying each?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was already addressed. These boots will be the first serious leather footwear that I purchase, so I'm not experienced with taking care of leather beyond smearing shaving cream all over a baseball glove.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New here; I'm going to be purchasing these boots in the coming few weeks or so. The things I'm curious about are boot oil and Sno-Seal. When you first get the boots, do you apply both, or just one or the other? If you apply both, does the order in which they are applied matter, and if so, how long should I wait between applying each?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this was already addressed. These boots will be the first serious leather footwear that I purchase, so I'm not experienced with taking care of leather beyond smearing shaving cream all over a baseball glove.

Oil first, then seal it with wax based thing (snoseal, obenauf's etc). I do both before wearing. Let the oil proof for a day before waxing.

You don't really need beeswax on the uppers because the most vulnerable parts are the leather soles.

I... what? No. You do not put wax / snoseal / obenauf's on the soles. That is a terrible idea. You will lose all traction from the leather and probably have even more trouble cementing a half sole.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Remember, you don't HAVE to oil and seal these boots to use them. I wear mine here in New England weather and have never oiled etc. and wear my Katahdins when it's ugly

cthip

Reaction score

I... what? No. You do not put wax / snoseal / obenauf's on the soles. That is a terrible idea. You will lose all traction from the leather and probably have even more trouble cementing a half sole.

Eh, you'd be surprised. I've tried it. Sno Seal is pretty sticky, tacky stuff. I'd say that traction actually slightly improved on everything other that ice (which is hopeless anyway in a leather-soled shoe).

I'm not saying it's essential, but don't knock it till you've tried it.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't, but a guy in this thread tried it and said he basically lost all traction. I think that might've been in the summer, though, which may change things?

Either way, my basic feeling is you should put a rubber halfsole + heel on them, but then I do that to just about anything with a leather sole. Boots like the 1000 mile and OSB trench just make zero sense to me without it.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember, you don't HAVE to oil and seal these boots to use them. I wear mine here in New England weather and have never oiled etc. and wear my Katahdins when it's ugly

Right! They're friggin boots!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads