• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

michaeljohnr

Reaction score
Damnit. Got a bunch of water stains on my tan Wolverines from lots of drinking last night.

Don't think these are coming out.
You can always darken them up with some LP.

That might cover the water stain, but of course you'll have darker boots.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying lexol and tomorrow.

Pass on the Obenauf. It changes the color too much.

I'll just keep wearing it. Oh well, its a boot. **** happens.

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may get shot down for this but; soak the **** outta them all over to disperse any stains then leave to dry completely before re-conditioning.

Mr M

Reaction score
My boots today. This is the colour I always want to get. Kiwi cordovan polish wax. Front is military shined.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may get shot down for this but; soak the **** outta them all over to disperse any stains then leave to dry completely before re-conditioning.

That's actually a valid solution. It also works fairly well on salt stains too. The big thing is make sure you dry them by letting them sit in an airy place. No heat and no sun. Plan on doing a serious conditioning job and that includes a light going over on the inside of the boot.

rexet

Reaction score
Is the "Search this thread" function really works?

I put "indy" and "alden" in the search engin and nothing came up. I am quite sure I have read posts comparing Indy and Wolverine 1k sizing.
I already have the 1k and now I would like to order some Alden Indy.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you'd taken the time to search this thread, you'd have seen we talk about how the searching this thread feature is broken basically every other week! Ugh! (Actually, I didn't actually know that the search was broken, that's annoying.)

Basically, with Indy vs. W1K sizing it comes down to this: Almost everyone is sizing their boots incorrectly anyway. My experience with Indy's and W1K is that they are both 100% exactly true to length, but everyone ignores what shoe length means, and they wear them with thin dress socks rather than boot socks. Both have the joint/flex point of the boot almost exactly the same as all of my other shoes, which is actually what you should be measuring. They have significantly more length in front of the toes than other shoes, though, and that's what people get distracted by. Indy's also have a comically large heel area.

Widths are tricky, but in my opinion, you should get the right length and then focus on whether the boot you want is available in a width that suits you (both run a bit wider than normal shoes). If it's not, then you can either go for the wrong size, or just live without the boot.

I originally went with the common wisdom of sizing down 1/2 size, and found out how bad an idea that is. Won't make that mistake again.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning to everyone who wears the hell out of these;

Get a damn half-sole put on them. After 1 fall/winter/spring of daily wear, this is what I noticed today:

I'm kinda ticked since I followed the "LP + wear the hell out of them they're boots you idiot" advice here, but didn't think much about the soles. Also pissed since I've had **** mall brand boots with soles that have lasted much longer with the same wear and less care, despite the much-ballyhooed repuation of 1k's here on SF.

How much does a re-soling cost? Any decent cobblers in SW Ontario?
Wearing the boots (almost) every day for nearly a year is a bad idea...unless you don't mind buying new shoes/soles regularly. Whoever said "wear the hell out of them. They're boots you idiot" gave you shxtty advice.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing the boots (almost) every day for nearly a year is a bad idea...unless you don't mind buying new shoes/soles regularly. Whoever said "wear the hell out of them. They're boots you idiot" gave you shxtty advice.

I disagree. He wore them daily far 3 seasons. Let's assume that he didn't wear them *exactly* every day, but that still gives a decent shot of having been worn 200 times. For leather soles, that's about the over/under for most people. I've seen people have soles wear through in only a couple of months of walking on asphalt, and I've seen others go years without needing soles. In general, the only thing that would have changed by not wearing them every day is that they would have taken longer to get to 200 wearings. There's no functional difference between wearing your shoes every day for 9 months and wearing them every other day for 18 months. The idea that it makes them "last" longer is just an illusion based on you swapping them out (okay, there might be some longevity benefits to it, but I think they're over exagerated. Case in point, look at Crane's boots).

Of course, a half-sole is a fine idea depending on conditions.

tl;dr; wear the crap out of your boots, treat 'em well, and if you're walking on sharp rocks you might need a half sole (though I'm a huge fan now of neo-cork soles).

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm the one who's notorious for saying wear the hell out of them. I'm also the guy that's made it a point to explain almost every conceivable problem or condition and how to deal with it. ****** advice? I don't think so.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deal of the Day

When you see this pay attention. I'll drop a link and a code. If the color, model and size range is what you're after then hop on it. Typical deals are only going to last for a day with no guarantees that it'll ever happen again. This is an online deal only and is for the specific model, color and size range listed. No exceptions. The deal is a good one, I'm not saying how good for obvious reasons. If we don't have it on the shelf I'm making sure I can get them in a few days from the big W. It's a lousy deal if you get an email that says sorry that size is sold out and we aint getting anymore right?

I'm waiting for a real time processor code from USPS and then I'll launch the first deal. I'm going to be nice and run the first one for 2 days instead of one. I'm going to be even nicer and tell you the first DOTD is going to be on the original 1K in brown.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Deal of the Day

When you see this pay attention. I'll drop a link and a code. If the color, model and size range is what you're after then hop on it. Typical deals are only going to last for a day with no guarantees that it'll ever happen again. This is an online deal only and is for the specific model, color and size range listed. No exceptions. The deal is a good one, I'm not saying how good for obvious reasons. If we don't have it on the shelf I'm making sure I can get them in a few days from the big W. It's a lousy deal if you get an email that says sorry that size is sold out and we aint getting anymore right?

I'm waiting for a real time processor code from USPS and then I'll launch the first deal. I'm going to be nice and run the first one for 2 days instead of one. I'm going to be even nicer and tell you the first DOTD is going to be on the original 1K in brown.

Is there any chance you'll be offering them in a size 6D in that deal?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads